Sales Hub Tools

Winks13
Participant

New contact incorrectly linked to existing contact

Hi,

I've just had a new customer contact us using the contact us form on our site. They also opened a live chat.

For some reason, this new customer's information has been automatically linked by Hubspot with an existing contact - who is a completely different person.

Hubspot is saying that the existing contact 'updated their info', but the new contact is completely different!

Please help explain why this has happened and tell me how I can unlink the two records and create a new record for the new customer.

Thanks,

Adam.

0 Upvotes
3 Replies 3
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Hi @Winks13,

Is there a chance that the first contact forwarded an email to another contact? HubSpot creates individual tracking URLs in marketing emails for the recipient. If the second contact access your site and subsequently chat through the link forwarded from the first contact, HubSpot might incorrectly associate the activity of the second contact with the record of the first.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes
Winks13
Participant

Hi Karsten,

Thanks for your reply.

No, we've never emailed the first contact, so this isn't possible.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Adam.

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Hi @Winks13,

Hard to tell then, unfortunately, without being able to explore in your portal. It might be a bug. If you are on a paid subscription, I'd recommend taking this to HubSpot support again.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes