Sales Hub Tools

NBailliache
Participant

How to manage people that change company?

SOLVE

Hi everyone,

curious to know how you manage a contact on hubspot when the person change job? Do you create a new contact on the new company, do you add both company under the same contact? Any best practices that has made sense for you?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Jnix284
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

@NBailliache cell phone is definitely easier to manage, if it is causing them to show as duplicates, you could create a property called "previous cell" or something like that and on their old record, move their phone number out of the HubSpot properties and into your newly created one. This way, only the new contact record is associated with that cell phone number.

happy to hear this was helpful!

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Jnix284

SOLVE

Hi @NBailliache 

We have a lead status for "left company" and that removes them from all lists, etc. for their previous email, essentially locking their contact record in a time capsule. If they enter our CRM from their new company, we don't merge them because it would merge the old conversations with the new records.

We also have some contacts in our ecosystem who have multiple emails at different companies (freelancers and agencies) that we also don't merge and reject the duplicates for because it would complicate the communications.

If they are using the same email, and went from one company to another using the same email, it might be worth looking at whether you should require work emails vs personal emails. This does get a little trickier to sort out, whether you keep them associated to both companies or not. You could create an association label to help with this.

I'm also not certain if you disassociate the contact from the company, if it would remove the activity from the company timeline - since each object has it's own association to the email, meeting, etc.

I think in ideal state it's nice not to have duplicates, sometimes there are exceptions that just make sense for your business and it really depends on whether the interactions they have carry over with them, or if they represent new business.

Here is a link to a similar question from a few weeks ago with input from many others.

Hope this helps!

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

NBailliache
Participant

SOLVE

@Jnix284 Cool ! I love this. the issue is not so much with email, It's  more with cellphone. People tend to give more and more their personal cell for business - that's great info to keep 

0 Upvotes
Jnix284
Solution

SOLVE

@NBailliache cell phone is definitely easier to manage, if it is causing them to show as duplicates, you could create a property called "previous cell" or something like that and on their old record, move their phone number out of the HubSpot properties and into your newly created one. This way, only the new contact record is associated with that cell phone number.

happy to hear this was helpful!