How can we share CERTAIN templates with non Sales Pro users?

New Contributor

Our sales team shares lots of templates, but when we want to share a template with a non Sales Pro user, they only get 5 templates. Is there a way to determine which templates are shared with everyone?

9 Replies 9
HubSpot Employee

Hey @nikkis! Currently, free Sales users can see and use the first five Templates that were created in the account. It is not possible to select which five Templates they will see. The only way for free Sales users to see Templates other than the first five created would be to delete templates, or to upgrade the user to Sales Pro.

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

Is this still the same setup?  That seems pretty restrictive and would force me to get Sales Pro for mutiple people within my company only to be able to send out emailed templates.  The limit of the number of templates with free is fine, but the inability to pick the few they need now would force me to reconsider moving forward with Hubspot.

Regular Contributor

I also find this unnecessarily restrictive. I have dozens of templates feeding several sequences. Deleting all of my templates and recreating them just to make sure the ones I want to share are the first five I re-create would be a time- and labor-intensive effort antithetical to my reasons for using Hubspot in the first place. This is not an approach I would expect from a company like Hubspot that prides itself on user experience and ease of use.

I also do not mind that our free users would be limited to five templates -- fine. But at least allow us the ability to select which ones we wish to share.

HubSpot Employee

Hi Michael,

Thanks for reaching out. This is still the expected behavior for the templates that free sales users can access. It is not possible to customize which 5 are the free templates as templates are mainly a Sales Starter/Pro feature.

What I would recommend is upvoting and commenting on this related feature request on the ideas forum: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Customize-the-5-Sales-Templates-Seen-by-Free-Users/id.... Our product team monitors these posts and that is the best way to get your feedback to them. Additionally, if this is implemented you will be notified directly.

-Becca

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

Becca, a follow up to the deleting templates option. Should I elect to do that, what are the ramifications for templates that are currently used in ACTIVE Sequences?

I would probably have to go in an re-create all of my Sequences after I re-create the new templates, but I don't want to delete all my templates and start over if doing so would jeopardize my current/active Sequences. 

Perhaps it wouldn't be an issue, since when I make changes to a Sequence, it doesn't affect those contacts currently enrolled in the Sequence (just future enrollments), but can you confirm? Does that make sense?

0 Upvotes
HubSpot Employee

This article (https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/account/hubspot-sales-tool-usage-limits) outlining the sales usage limits explains the limitations for free sales users relating to templates. That said I completely understand why it would also be useful to see this information in documentation relating to getting started with templates to avoid confusion after setting up your first templates. I'm happy to pass that feedback to our Knowledgebase team!

It is actually not possible to delete a template if it is being used in a Sequence. You would receive an error stating '"Cannot delete this template." This template is used in the sequence ___. To delete this template you will first need to remove it from those sequences.' With that said, you would need to replace the templates in your sequences before deleting any templates. Once you create new templates, you can replace the templates you want to delete that exist in a sequence.

You are correct that changes made to a Sequence will only affect newly enrolled contacts. When a contact is enrolled in a Sequence, the steps in the Sequence are queued up on the back-end, so edits to the Sequence won't affect contacts that are actively enrolled in the Sequence. This article (https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/sequences/what-happens-to-enrolled-contacts-when-...) confirms this and provides a bit more detail if you are interested.

I apologize for any inconvenience! I do understand where you are coming from here, and I am happy to pass the feedback on. Moving forward, please do keep an eye on the related idea post for any updates on changes made to this functionality. Happy HubSpotting!
0 Upvotes
HubSpot Employee

Hi Alex,

Thanks for reaching out, and sorry for the delay as I missed your prior comment. This is still the expected behavior for the templates that free sales users can access. It is not possible to customize which 5 are the free templates as templates are mainly a Sales Starter/Pro feature.

I noticed you already upvoted and commented on this related feature request on the ideas forum: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Customize-the-5-Sales-Templates-Seen-by-Free-Users/id.... This is the best way to get your feedback to our product team, so definitely keep an eye out for updates on that post.

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

Hi, Becca. I just read through some basic info on setting up and using Templates currently posted on in the Hubspot Academy/Marketing Library. Nowhere do any of those articles mention that the first five Templates you create are the only ones you can share for free users. You guys might want to update the language so it's clear. Had I known that to begin with, I would have started with my free templates first.

0 Upvotes

This is the reason why I upgraded, primarily because I believed that by having access to create more templates I  would get to choose which templates actually stays and goes. My team is a remote team and not all are able to pay. This restriction doesn't allow me to manage effectively. 50 bucks a month is not a walk in the park and to charge that much I was expecting value; not just removing logos, making more templates, and sequencing. I am only going to stay for a month. If sequencing isn't what is all cracked up to be I am downgrading back to free. PLEASE CHANGE THIS HUBSPOT> IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE

0 Upvotes