Sales Hub Tools

rezanursidiq

Filter Doesn't Work

SOLVE

Hello,
I have a problem related to filter tool. 
I've created a custom property named "Birthday Date" for my contacts. However, when I use the filter based on Birthday Date and choose the "this week" option, it shows nothing. 
I don't have any idea why this happens. Can you all give me a solution?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Filter Doesn't Work

SOLVE

Hi @rezanursidiq,

From what you're describing, this probably isn't working because the birthday is not actually next week. It's years ago, in the actual birthyear. For example, if you're filtering for upcoming birthdays, someone with 30/1/1970 would not show up. Only someone with 30/1/2023. (This person isn't born yet.)

Out of the box, HubSpot does not have any settings or configuration to see upcoming birthdays. I've shared a workaround to this in an earlier thread: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/Tips-Tricks-Best-Practices/View-Upcoming-Birthdays/td-p/724444

As far as workarounds go, I see the following:

1. Create a custom contact dropdown select property with options for each day of the year. (Use the 'Load options' > 'Paste in your own options' feature to not have to type in each date but copy and paste month and day of the year from Excel, I'd recommend a format like 06-01 for June 1st, for example.)
  2. Here's where the workaround options branch out.
    1. If a manual solution is fine, then make it your habit to select the correct birthday from this dropdown whenever get a new contact.
    2. If it's okay for this information to be up to date daily, you could also export your contacts in regular intervals, format the birthday according to the format above and re-import contacts to populate the dropdown property.
    3. If you want an automated solution but do not have custom code actions (see below), you could explore the integration with Zapier and Google Sheets. New contacts with a known birthday could sync to Google Sheets via Zapier. You could use a formulara to format the birthday from the full date format into the format I suggested above and sync this information back to HubSpot into the dropdown property.
    4. If you have access to a developer, they could develop an app based on the HubSpot API to take care of this.
    5. With Operations Hub Professional, a developer could create a custom code action which takes care of step 3.2. above directly in HubSpot.

With this dropdown, you can now manually filter which contacts have a birthday in the upcoming week. Unfortunately not with the regular rolling date filters, however. Alternatively, you could use Zapier / custom code actions to 'translate' the birthday into a date value of the current year (e.g. turn 1/1/1970 into 1/1/2023), using a custom date property instead of a dropdown select. That way you could use regular date filters.

I 100% agree that this should be easier. For now, that's how I would approach this. Other users have already requested better features from the product team here: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/List-logic-for-birthdays/idi-p/437941

I'd recommend upvoting and commenting. The product team reviews these requests based on their popularity.

You can help others find this request and the workaround more easily by accepting my reply as a solution. I'd appreciate it!

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Filter Doesn't Work

SOLVE

Hi @rezanursidiq,

From what you're describing, this probably isn't working because the birthday is not actually next week. It's years ago, in the actual birthyear. For example, if you're filtering for upcoming birthdays, someone with 30/1/1970 would not show up. Only someone with 30/1/2023. (This person isn't born yet.)

Out of the box, HubSpot does not have any settings or configuration to see upcoming birthdays. I've shared a workaround to this in an earlier thread: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/Tips-Tricks-Best-Practices/View-Upcoming-Birthdays/td-p/724444

As far as workarounds go, I see the following:

1. Create a custom contact dropdown select property with options for each day of the year. (Use the 'Load options' > 'Paste in your own options' feature to not have to type in each date but copy and paste month and day of the year from Excel, I'd recommend a format like 06-01 for June 1st, for example.)
  2. Here's where the workaround options branch out.
    1. If a manual solution is fine, then make it your habit to select the correct birthday from this dropdown whenever get a new contact.
    2. If it's okay for this information to be up to date daily, you could also export your contacts in regular intervals, format the birthday according to the format above and re-import contacts to populate the dropdown property.
    3. If you want an automated solution but do not have custom code actions (see below), you could explore the integration with Zapier and Google Sheets. New contacts with a known birthday could sync to Google Sheets via Zapier. You could use a formulara to format the birthday from the full date format into the format I suggested above and sync this information back to HubSpot into the dropdown property.
    4. If you have access to a developer, they could develop an app based on the HubSpot API to take care of this.
    5. With Operations Hub Professional, a developer could create a custom code action which takes care of step 3.2. above directly in HubSpot.

With this dropdown, you can now manually filter which contacts have a birthday in the upcoming week. Unfortunately not with the regular rolling date filters, however. Alternatively, you could use Zapier / custom code actions to 'translate' the birthday into a date value of the current year (e.g. turn 1/1/1970 into 1/1/2023), using a custom date property instead of a dropdown select. That way you could use regular date filters.

I 100% agree that this should be easier. For now, that's how I would approach this. Other users have already requested better features from the product team here: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/List-logic-for-birthdays/idi-p/437941

I'd recommend upvoting and commenting. The product team reviews these requests based on their popularity.

You can help others find this request and the workaround more easily by accepting my reply as a solution. I'd appreciate it!

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.