Sales Hub Tools

GFarmer3
Membre

False Hubspot Document Opens

Résolue

I am sending emails out with a Hubspot Document to schools in a sequence to individuals that I have added to Hubspot.  For some of the schools I am getting 100% viewing rate on the document.  The seem to all open it shortly after I send it.  At first I thought that I was getting great results.  But now, it seems inplausable that 100% would open the email and click on the document with in a minute or two especially since this is the day before Christmas Eve and they are all off work right now.  In the document view most opens are for 0 seconds or 10 - 12 seconds.

Can security scans or firewalls open a document and make Hubspot think that the document is being viewed?  The high open rate for almost the same amount of time from the same school districts make me think I am getting a false hit.

1 Solution acceptée
Crystal_Hopper
Solution
Conseiller clé

Résolue

Good morning @GFarmer3

I would say that your suspicion of firewall or other scanners looking at the attachment is correct and causing the view rate to be 100%. Schools most likely have a very high level of security and their systems scan everything that comes in. 

To verify, could you create a list of non-school, test email accounts (gmail, yahoo, etc.) and see if you get the same results when sending to this test list? If this list also shows a 100% view rate, then I'd show that to Hubspot Support as proof that something could be wrong in the reporting. If this list has a different result, then we can put the blame on the schools' security systems.

I've had conversations with Hubspot Support about various stats and attempting to supress bot traffic like this (https://knowledge.hubspot.com/reports/exclude-traffic-from-your-site-analytics). It is a never-ending battle for Hubspot and us because new bots are being added all the time.

Did my post solve the questions or challenge? Please mark it as a solution for others to find.

Voir la solution dans l'envoi d'origine

3 Réponses
Vishesh_Singhal
Participant

Résolue

We have recently designed a HubSpot plugin called CLoudFiles that lets you directly track file analytics and would be more reliable than tracking email opens. This tool can serve as an enhancement over HubSpot Documents since it provides all the functionality within the context of your objects. Moreover the system tracks time directly on the viewer (i.e. when the customer has actually opened and viewed the file) and so false opens would be less. If you would like to know more please visit https://cloudfilesapp.co

0 Votes
Crystal_Hopper
Solution
Conseiller clé

Résolue

Good morning @GFarmer3

I would say that your suspicion of firewall or other scanners looking at the attachment is correct and causing the view rate to be 100%. Schools most likely have a very high level of security and their systems scan everything that comes in. 

To verify, could you create a list of non-school, test email accounts (gmail, yahoo, etc.) and see if you get the same results when sending to this test list? If this list also shows a 100% view rate, then I'd show that to Hubspot Support as proof that something could be wrong in the reporting. If this list has a different result, then we can put the blame on the schools' security systems.

I've had conversations with Hubspot Support about various stats and attempting to supress bot traffic like this (https://knowledge.hubspot.com/reports/exclude-traffic-from-your-site-analytics). It is a never-ending battle for Hubspot and us because new bots are being added all the time.

Did my post solve the questions or challenge? Please mark it as a solution for others to find.
dennisedson
Équipe de développement de HubSpot
Équipe de développement de HubSpot

Résolue

Hello @GFarmer3 

Welcome to the Community!

Wondering if @Crystal_Hopper or @darynsmith  have noticed this behavior before