Sales Enablement

JonPayne
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner

How do you sense-check your goal?

You’ve clarified your vision and done your research but you’re still not quite 100% ready to share it with your team. See some of the methods professionals like you have used to check if their goals are achievable, and maybe share your goals and see if others think you’re going in the right direction.

*To learn more about this, check out the Aligning Your Teams Around a Unified Revenue Goal lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

64 Replies 64
RHERNANDEZCOR

hi

0 Upvotes
MCentenoA
Participant

First of all, I revise my necessities, what I want and what I have.

What do I need to do to achieve it and how many times could take me to reach it?

Then I work on that to get results

CeeKayNg
Participant

One method to sense-check a goal is to align the goal with actual activities that would achieve the goal. When you think of the required activities, it is easier to see if its achievable. I have seen startup companies and consultants struggle so much in business sometimes not because their services or product is not good enough, but they do not charge sufficient markup for the effort used. Sometimes, I ask my team that everybody wants more customers but can we handle 15 customers at a time? 

In this activity, the manager will actually seek feedback from team members about ideal output numbers which would make the final outcome of goals a product of dialogue. 
These kind of questions on desired effort to reach the goal can lead to more realistic targets. 

Agentdelaney
Participant

I've worked for companies that ingrain their vision early on with every employee to make sure each of them are on the right track.  I've also worked for ones to rarely talk about it.

The ability to check the vision to then understand it's long term commitment to growth and revenue is crucial.  It can be things like making sure the vision is taked about quarterly, or it's in common areas in the office.  To then transpire that so that employees are engaged in the long term revenue and want to continue to do their part to make sure the vision becomes a reality.

DTrujillo

When sense-checking your goals, you can compare them against historical metrics of the company. And then work to identify what elements may have prevented the organization from achieving the goals your attemping to implement now. Have those barriers been eliminated (personnell, personalities, resources, etc.), or do you have a plan to overcome those barriers in order for your teams to achieve the goals you've created.

Also work with 1 or 2 other key inidivduals in the organization that can help influence the goals. Get their input and buy-in to help create alignment in the organization before sharing broadly. 

FKhadraoui

THE VISION IS WHAT WE LOOK FOR AND KEEP BETWEEN OUR EYES EVERYDAY 

THE GOAL IS WHT WE DO EVERYDAY 

SO IN SUM 

THE VISION IS WHT WE LOOK FOR  I.E THE THEORY 

THE GOAL IS THE ACTION 

0 Upvotes
mkerbyELS

This makes sense to me.  But I wonder how difficult it is to use previous years' data for benchmarking right now.  Is that data relevant anymore? Is 2019 a more comparable year? If so, are the conditions similar enough to use that data for benchmarking? Thoughts that I have when considering performance goals.

igod
Participant

It not just about having goal. We can focus on the scalability. Are the goals driving you towards the vision? If no, then those goals needs to be realigned. Consider this like a manual automobile, if you must run at 200km/h, you must learn to work on the acceleration from gear 1 to 5. If you keep cycling within 1 and 2, you may never hit 200km/h. Goal also have external factors that may affect it and these must be checked. It is possible the driver wants to get to 200km/h but the road is bad. This is why i would like to say every goal should be considered in relation to the external and internal factors that may affect its success or failure.

JonPayne

Love this @igod - your analogy of the car, and the road quality is excellent! 👌

igod
Participant

Thank you @JonPayne 
i have not yet booked a space for the sales enablement office hours

0 Upvotes
NWeg

send it.

0 Upvotes
Al-Faituri
Contributor

I know that a SMART approach is generally a good approach for any kind of goal. Here, I think SMART FTW - ALWAYS would be the to go about it.

TopLineGrowth

I do understand the power of revenue goals, however it has be aligned with the strategic direction and strategic choices already been made by the company. When you are selling services, such as consultancy it is easy to say yes to every pay check, and this would bring you closer to your goal (revenue), however it is not aligned with your long-term plans. 

Does others say no to a pay check? It is tough especially in a start-up phase.

JonPayne

Agree - typically, when you're in a start up phase, if you don't have heaps of investment, you need to do what pays the bills. As the business becomes more established it becomes easier to select clients based on your strategic goals, rather than just the less inspiring work which keeps the lights on.

0 Upvotes
ThaynáSantos

A good way to orient the analysis over the suposed goal, it is to undestand the previous result in order to make greater decision and now, in terms of how to align to the team. This starts early when we set the vision of the company.

rorysilva

Is it measurable? 
Can we create steps to achieve it?
Can we put a deadline/date on it?

JoeBurchard
Top Contributor | Elite Partner
Top Contributor | Elite Partner

From a high level perspective it's important to ask "Does this goal align with the mission and values of our company?" Increased revenues are great but they are not the only indicator of a successful business 😉

KBrisco
Participant

Greatt point!  It's important to understand the full buyer's journey and what tactics prove to be most effective at leading toa sale.

0 Upvotes
MSNovelli

Revenue goals are the ones I'm used to. 

brunoklemz
Participant

A good way to orient the analysis over the suposed goal, it is to undestand the previous result in order to make greater decision. If you are coming out of nowhere, try to keep things reasonably aligned with what works best for you.

MariaMoreno

They must be clearly and smart set objectives in order to meet the proposed goals. These can not be based on what you would like or unrealistic to accomplish but on what is possible and the only way to do it is with a measurement , for example quarterly measurement or then YOY.