Sales Enablement

JonPayne
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner

How do you sense-check your goal?

You’ve clarified your vision and done your research but you’re still not quite 100% ready to share it with your team. See some of the methods professionals like you have used to check if their goals are achievable, and maybe share your goals and see if others think you’re going in the right direction.

*To learn more about this, check out the Aligning Your Teams Around a Unified Revenue Goal lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

67 Replies 67
MSNovelli

Revenue goals are the ones I'm used to. 

brunoklemz
Participant

A good way to orient the analysis over the suposed goal, it is to undestand the previous result in order to make greater decision. If you are coming out of nowhere, try to keep things reasonably aligned with what works best for you.

MariaMoreno

They must be clearly and smart set objectives in order to meet the proposed goals. These can not be based on what you would like or unrealistic to accomplish but on what is possible and the only way to do it is with a measurement , for example quarterly measurement or then YOY. 

MBostic
Participant

As a BDR my goal is to book as many qualified meetings as possible with my team. I'm hoping with the addition of Marketing I'm able to find those meetings more easily and book more with the same amount of efforts. Our shared vision should be one of more revenue for the company.

0 Upvotes
awong5
Participant

I guess targets varied depending on the stages of the company. In a more start-up environment where the goal may be to aiming at the 'next' level (or exit) by means of being bought out or IPO, the famous Sequoia Capital benchmark has been followed by many... the TTTDD revenue benchmark where the YOY revenue should be tribled in the first 3 years then doubled in the last 2. 

Now, in terms of how to align to the team... this starts early when we set the vision of the company. If the vision is to build a successful start up, then the TTTDD targets shall not be unfamiliar with the front office. 

carias
Top Contributor

Well, I think that part most important of all these process is start analyze what is the KPIs, most valuable for your company, depend on the kind of company, if your company offers services or products, all these products or services is for a costumer or your costumers is a company not a person, all these topics are very important for your strategy.

JuanFGarciaV
Participant

The best way that I think about the goals of the company and follow if they are accomplishing the specifics KPI that measures the type of goal, a revenue goal, an infrastructure goal, or a number of employees. The idea is measured in 4Q and compares each other at the end of every quarter.

NitinMeta
Contributor

Watch-Feel-Act...Conduct subtle reviews at weekly intervals to understand the momentum and more than anything to check if the teams are properly motivated or not towards the goals. Then, encouraging their ideas and yours, do quick fixes to keep sharpening till alignment is perfected. 

JonPayne

Interesting ideas Nitin 🔥 Thanks for sharing!

0 Upvotes
Guy3

they should be SMART Goals. They could be very Audacious and help your teams reach the unthinkable but they can not be ridiculous and team's morale destroying.

JonPayne

Yes to audacious goals! Have you read Built To Last by Jim Collins? I think you'd enjoy it 😁

NitinMeta
Contributor

Indeed, BHAG becomes the goto approach to put some Soul back into the thought process... thanks for highlighting the book and office hours...have registered and look forward. 

DHeron
Participant

It seems like we use SMART always after 🙂

JonPayne

SMART FTW - ALWAYS

apempie
Participant

Hey revenue people! 
I have tried to download the worksheet, but nothing happened. 

Is the link broken? 

JonPayne

Hello @apempie - which spreadsheet do you mean? There's a reply towards the top of this thread with the breakdown included but it's not a spreadsheet... Let me know if I can be of more help 🙂

jsalomone
Participant

It's the worksheet in the first unit "Intro to Sales Enablement".

0 Upvotes
UDAS24

You’ve clarified your vision and done your research but you’re still not quite 100% ready to share it with your team. See some of the methods professionals like you have used to check if their goals are achievable, and maybe share your goals and see if others think you’re going in the right direction.

KGuda
Participant

Comparisons with previous periods, even last week and with competitors in the market place is a good way to sense check ones goals

JonPayne

Agree @KGuda - I've seen businesses using WOW, MOM, QOQ and YOY reporting individually but usually as a mix. How are you checking with competitor performance, if you don't mind my asking?

KGuda
Participant

Market share comparison based on public reports and internal estimates