Sales Enablement

JonPayne
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner

Help! I’m being qualified!

We’ve all been there, you’re in the process of buying something - typically in real life - and you suddenly realise you’re in a lead qualification process. What are some of the best (and worst) experiences you’ve had as a lead being qualified? No shaming of people or brands please - it’s just for fun (and for us to learn).

*To learn more about this, check out the Developing a Lead Qualification Framework lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

61 Replies 61
CeeKayNg
Participant

Interesting discussion thread.

In the part of the world I live, Whatsapp is used for lead nurturing. 

I once showed mild interest in purchasing a property that was too expensive for me, and I got sucked in lead qualification and nurturing process. The real estate agent consistently sends me properties that are out of my price range through automated messages. What is bad about is, the sales team have not even qualified me as a lead yet, because they never really asked me why I didnt buy. Obviously price and financing would be a major factor in real estate purchase decisions but they seem afraid to address the topic. They settled with bombarding me with messages twice a week of new offers of houses I cannot afford. About a couple weeks ago, I ended up blocking the person on my Whatsapp. 

0 Upvotes
Agentdelaney
Participant

the amount of websites out there that allow you to view and depict what you are or aren't willing to purchase to only recieve an email minutes later about "forgetting something in the cart."  I realize the importance of this stuff from a company and revenue standpoint, but i have yet to find a company to complete it tactfully and without getting buyer's remorse from me.

0 Upvotes
ENHarrison

I'm a musician as a hobby. Like most musicians that use digital workstations to create music, I use 3rd party plug-ins that help shape your sound in ways the stock plug-ins don't/can't. There are endless vendors of these products ranging in price from free to hundereds. Many of them offer a free trial period, in exchange for your email... obviously. Most that I trailed put my email into a drip campaign. Most campaigns are acceptable and NOT so spammy that it boarders disrespect. But one them, put me into a relevant content cadence that is soooo good. As a sales professional it makes me want to weep. With joy? Envy? IDK!! But I open and read so many of them that the Gmail algorithm now marks them as "important." The reason I like it so much is that it covers pain points NOT solved by their solution, and recommends "coopetition" products. Truly a trusted advisor, they have become to me.

SuzC
Contributor

I was qualified by a car dealership.  I was looking for a MPV and had 3 children under 5 with me.  I booked a test drive for when my children were in nursery and when i turned up 2 days later i was told the appt hadn't been made because my husband hadn't been with me.  🤯 

JonPayne

😡 @SuzC it's amazing that this sort of stuff still happens! From a sales perspective I can almost understand why the dealership would prefer to have all family decision makers there. But to assume that you have a husband and that he is key to these decisions is archaic and closed minded. Hope you bought somewhere else! 🙂

SuzC
Contributor

Love your bio on your company page Jon 🤣

I did buy elsewhere, and by email!  The salesperson didn't understand the job I needed to get done, had no clue what my buying journey was and the dealership had a curious sales process that enabled him to disqualify without asking questions😂

JonPayne

👌

0 Upvotes
ThaynáSantos

Chatbots with slightly aggressive responses. Totally frustrated my experience.

JonPayne

"Chatbots with slightly aggressive responses." sounds like one of Dante's Circles of **bleep**! 🤣

0 Upvotes
MSNovelli

I recently was checking options for training material and entered my information to get the "free" fundamentals video, only to get bombarded with emails and calls with offers to close NOW. Mind you, as it turns out it's the end of their fiscal year and they needed to close on those leads. As understanding as I am, it was very annoying to get my inbox filled, and I ended up sending them to spam.

JonPayne

Thanks for sharing @MSNovelli  - it's a useful reminder of how easy it is for the bad habits of some sales people (me included!) can impact the deliverability of emails for a whole brand. 😣

0 Upvotes
PChiu

I have had some bad experiences with clients who just want to pry information about us when in fact they have their own team and thankfully I haven't gone further with them to reveal too much about us. I think it's important to follow nda whether you are dealing with clients or seeking sellers.

MBostic
Participant

I like when they follow up to learn more about my goals. If it's a B2B product it's important they understand my goals first before proceding with a sale.

DWarner86
Participant

They let me control the conversation 

FKhadraoui

a qualified lead is the result of an accurate well done job  by marketers which will end in the right hands of salers who will execute sales and close them...

0 Upvotes
FDignan
Participant

For me in certain scenarios the prospector has not done enough dudilgence given we belong to a world of social platforms that can present enough data to help with objections. 

Callers who attempt to promote something you do not have any interest in but still try to close creates a tension where as the customer,you are now trying to find excuses as to why you now have to leave this situation and inevitably feel dishonest. This experience can leave you now loosing out on opportunities because there is hesitence to engage in a sales call do due to bad experiences. 

When there is an authetic approach to the engagement and you come awat feeling like, you were not pushed to make a decision, invariably you will always come back to that person for guidence which has resulted in my buying process beacuse ther prospector realises that the market can be saturated however the first step in creating the relationship is why people invest. 

JReisig
Participant

Similarly, I had a company send me what I'm sure was a very expensive prospecting gift. It got my attention, but my company was in no way qualified for their service and I still feel guilty today for the money they wasted. I don't even know if we ever spoke on the phone either before or after the gift. It was odd. 

tkbabington
Participant

I was shopping several companies for refinance quotes - of note, I'm a veteran and had planned on using a VAIRRRL program so I could really only work with companies that had qualified veteran loan reps.

Had some really weird experiences since the companies had my credit report and some basic income and debt leve information, and the floodgates just opened. I was obviously an MQL for several companies, and it was like they were all just trying to outcompete to get my attention for the refinance. One company that was local (my own qualification system checkmark) had tried to convince me to refinance using some other loan type that had less favorable conditions for me (VAIRRRL programs are very generous). 

In the end, I just went with the company who had originally underwritten my first mortgage since they hardly reached out at all. 

JonPayne

Love the ending of that story Tracilyn! Seems like since they didn't bother you (and therefore fitted more easily into your actual journey), they were actually the most helpful. 👌

LSalcedo

I've had a bad experience with an insurance company. I was interested in buying one of their products and contacted them for more information, then I said ok let me think about it, I will check my other options, and I will call you if you are my decision.

The next day they started calling every day and trying to push me to buy from them; of course, I was an MQL, but I decided to buy in another company because it was overwhelmed. 

JonPayne

Classic example of a company not understanding when their buyer is actually ready to buy and lost the business as a consequence. I wonder how many times this has happened? Might be costing the company a lot of lost revenue - they could check this lesson out on the HubSpot Academy 😂

0 Upvotes