Sales Enablement

JonPayne
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner

Any tips for getting the IT dept bought in?

It’s a tale as old as time (well, since the 1990’s) - the IT team and the sales team not communicating effectively. But when they do get on, the combination can really light a fire under the growth of the business. How have you overcome (or seen people overcome) the traditional barriers to communication between these two teams?

*To learn more about this, check out the Evaluating Sales Enablement Technology lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

23 Replies 23
fcommunicatio
Contributor

Very good 

0 Upvotes
ELim51

It seems like more IT team members are now taking over sales and marketing roles.

For instance, observing what current sales/marketing folks are doing - keystroke logging, CCTV, archive retrieval etc...then replace them with existing IT staff.
An interesting way to get total buy-in.

JonPayne

Us sales people often go into meetings with the senior IT team with a list of demands, sorry requests. While the IT team often enter the meeting thinking about their non negotiables around security, resilience, reliability.

And before you know it - we’re not cooperating much.

The odd thing is, as sales leaders in these discussions we often forget to use our soft sales skills - rapport building, asking open questions and negotiating a mutually beneficial solution. 

What always works for me is to get them involved early, empathise and build rapport: “I know you don’t need yet another set of dumb ideas about how this new shiny thing is absolutely essential… but I think we may be on to something with this Sales Enablement stuff and I want to get your thoughts early on, see if it’s even worth considering… when would be a good time for me to pick your brains for 15 minutes?”

Much better than calling a meeting for an hour or even several meetings! It’s often the case that IT have been looking at similar solutions. And, worst case, if it’s something that for strategic reasons they can’t consider for 6-12 months, you’ve not wasted their time, or yours.

After that - lay out what you believe to be the benefits and why you’re considering this sort of tech. Then, you really need their advice, before you get their buy in. So ask - “what do you think?”, “where do you think there might be problems?” and if it’s going OK “how do you think we might progress this and, what are the timescales I should pencil in?”

I think as RevOps becomes a more popular role, these sorts of discussions might not be so commonplace but I think they’ll be around for a few years yet.

Anybody had to do formal presentations for this sort of thing - or even bypass it completely, and what were your results?