Sales Email

Stephaj
Participant

Importing into notes

SOLVE

Hi everyone!

I'm new to HubSpot so apologies if this question has been answered before (I couldn't find anything in my research...) Two questions for you:

1) We send out a newsletter to clients using a different program (i.e. not via HubSpot) each month. The newsletter goes to approximately 1/3 of out HubSpot contacts. Is there a way to bulk add this to notes? Even if it is just a record of communication rather than a copy of the actual email

2) If this is not possible, does anyone know of a workaround to save me from going into each client's record? 

Many thanks 🙂

1 Accepted solution
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

Importing into notes

SOLVE

>>Do you know if this would work if I was wanting to import notes into only some contact records? 

Of course. All HubSpot import processes allow you to control which records are impacted by selecting either email address or record ID. (your choice)

Recommend doing a small test 1st to master the process. Quiet as it's kept, errors during import can be destructive, so ... definitely want to master the process before bulk importing.

Good luck with your project. Please mark as solved.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
19 Replies 19
SalesBrush
Contributor

Importing into notes

SOLVE

There is a way to do that via API. It can be quite complicated to do it on your own if you are not tech person.
But I've done a number of such projects on importing notes, tasks, engagements and attaching those to contacts, companies and deals. Happy to chat about it.

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

Importing into notes

SOLVE

_hubspot-button-accept-as-solution-gif-v00.gif

Q: Can we import notes into HubSpot contact records?

Short A: Yes.

Longer A:

Beginning in December, the ability to import notes into HubSpot is now built-in fuctionality.

- see Everything You Need to Know About the New HubSpot Import

14-Dec-2018: HubSpot Import Notes14-Dec-2018: HubSpot Import Notes 

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
MatthewWolman

Importing into notes

SOLVE

Hey Frank,

I had a similar question. I have a spreadsheet that contains notes that I want to upload and link them to their respective company. This answers my question of if it is possible or not (seems like it is) but my next question is:

How do I know what to use as column headers for the Notes upload? There is no sample upload spreadsheet provided by HubSpot for Notes uploads and when I went to the Properties tab in Settings, there was no option to look at the properties for Notes. Are you guys planning to provide this information now that the ability to upload Notes is available?

Please let me know!

Thanks,

Matt

MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

Importing into notes

SOLVE

mfjlabs-screenshot-hubspot-import-notes-separate-csv-files.png

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
ClaimPath

Importing into notes

SOLVE

Can you link Notes to a Company property like Company Name? I've been trying to do this but I'm not getting consistent results. Sometimes the note links to the Company correctly and other times I'm creating duplicate Company records. One for the Company when I uploaded my Company spreadsheet and another Company gets created for the Note. It's not associating the Note with my original Company upload. Can you help me figure out why it's creating a duplicate entry?

0 Upvotes
SamAdler
Participant

Importing into notes

SOLVE

Hi there. The point of this new feature is not to import notes into a company propert, or a contact propert, but to import notes into the 'notes' object that sits inside a company or a contact.  Does that make sense? So, when you have a spreadsheet that has company names (although I'd use a better unique identifier for companies, like the Hubspot ID), and you want to put Company notes in that company record, that is when you would use this import feature.  There is no 'Notes' property in Company unless you added that yourself, or someone else did.  It's not a default field in Company (or contacts).

If you look at my photos above, it's the same process with Company+Notes imports. You click on the 'back' link, and you'll see Company properties to Match, or Notes properties to match.

Hope that's clear!

0 Upvotes
MatthewWolman

Importing into notes

SOLVE

Well.. not really. For the sake of Jeopardy, the question that would be fitting for the answer you provided is: "How does my Notes upload link to my contacts?" (Answer: the e-mail property).

Where do I find all of the column headers for Notes properties?

Do you work for HubSpot?

The fact that HubSpot providers sample .csv's for all uploads besides the Notes uploads and doesn't offer an explicit area where I can see all of the Notes properties is inconsistent (and unexpected). 

MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

Importing into notes

SOLVE

Wow. This is like the Salvador Dali version of find the image in the pattern. haha

- Take a close look at the image. It clearly shows the only .csv column header needed for a notes file.

- The artlcles referenced in the original thread show additional multi-object .csv files.

>>Do you work for HubSpot?

No. You may typically find that information by clicking on a community member's name in any thread. In my case, it's also displayed in the footer of my original message.

Good luck on your project(s) and have a great weekend.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
MatthewWolman

Importing into notes

SOLVE

I see. You did answer one of my questions then. Please forgive me.

How did you know that E-mail and Note were the only two properties needed to upload a notes sheet?

0 Upvotes
JenniferErena
Contributor

Importing into notes

SOLVE

Is this thread really "solved" ?? - I get what you were trying to ask Matthew.  It requires Activity Date and Note Body but it has more options.  Did you ever find your solution?

I added a "Note Owner" to my spreadsheet and it linked to "Activity Assigned To".  It doesn't show all options when you select the property to map.  I hate the try and try method and wish I could just find a list of all options.  I'd also love to import an activity that links to a task.  

0 Upvotes
Herschel
Top Contributor

Importing into notes

SOLVE

It looks like the only two fields available for importing notes are Note body and Activity date: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/contacts/set-up-your-import-file

Becuase you can only import notes to be associated with another object you'll need email, company domain name, or an object ID to identify the object you are importing the note to.

SamAdler
Participant

Importing into notes

SOLVE

I just figured out how to import Notes:

After choosing Multiple Objects, and both Contacts and Notes, when you get to the Mapping section, you need to have mapped on your spreadsheet 2 columns:

Note Body and Activity Date (I used format mm/dd/yy).

When you look at the mapping on the right, you likely will need to click 'back' in the mapping, so that you go back and choose the Notes object. See photo below. This isn't intuitive, but hopefully this helps!

Need to click 'Back' when you are here.Need to click 'Back' when you are here.After clicking Back, you'll have the option to choose the Notes property you want.After clicking Back, you'll have the option to choose the Notes property you want.

pharmiweb

Importing into notes

SOLVE

Hi, 

I dont have that "notes" option available on my import page. Am I missing something?

hubspot-notes.png

0 Upvotes
Rodolfo1
Participant

Importing into notes

SOLVE

Hi! I mported notes into Hubspot with the fields NOTE BODY  and ACTIVITY DATE.  This activity date is the date the note was originally created. However this date doesn´t appear with the notes once imported. The notes imported takes as date the date the note was imported. Can you help with this?

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

Importing into notes

SOLVE

2018-Dec-142018-Dec-14

"The above updates are now available to all HubSpot users and available in all languages supported by HubSpot."

- see Everything You Need to Know About the New HubSpot Import | Dec 14, 2018

- see [Now Live] 5 Updates to Import You Don’t Want to Miss | NEW ON AUGUST 1, 2018

- see [eBook] Perfect HubSpot Features -n- Integrations You Need To Know In 2019

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
Stephaj
Participant

Importing into notes

SOLVE

Thanks Frank!

Do you know if this would work if I was wanting to import notes into only some contact records? 

For example, if we send newsletter 'A' to Tom, Harry and Jane but Fred, John and Sally receive either no newsletter or newsletter 'B', are we able to bulk import a note (or copy of the newsletter) just to Tom, Harry and Jane's contact record documenting this communication?

We're currently using MailChimp for all our electronic newsletter, however, we have a range of lists depending on the segment type of our clients. I'd like to be able to record these communications against the relevant contact without having to manually go into each record and note thatTom, Harry and Jane received newsletter 'A' on 1/1/2018 and Fred, John and Sally received newsletter 'B' on 1/1/2018 while all other clients did not receive a newsletter.

Hope this all makes sense!!!

TIA 🙂

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

Importing into notes

SOLVE

>>Do you know if this would work if I was wanting to import notes into only some contact records? 

Of course. All HubSpot import processes allow you to control which records are impacted by selecting either email address or record ID. (your choice)

Recommend doing a small test 1st to master the process. Quiet as it's kept, errors during import can be destructive, so ... definitely want to master the process before bulk importing.

Good luck with your project. Please mark as solved.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
Stephaj
Participant

Importing into notes

SOLVE

Thanks so much, Frank! You've just made our lives sooooo much easier 🙂

OliviaRoberts
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Importing into notes

SOLVE

Hey @Stephaj

At this time it is not possible to bulk add notes to records within HubSpot, if you are looking to add a note, it does need to be done manually per each record. 

One workaround for you, would to be to create a custom contact property, and then do a bulk update to store the communication. I am including documentation on creating custom properties and bulk updating contacts below as a reference!

Best, 
Olivia