Sales Email

RonWithTwoAs
Membre

If there are 2 conflicting smart rules from a contact being on 2 lists, how does that work?

Résolue

It's an odd situation, but here's the trouble:

John@whoevertheheck.com is a contact in list A and List B.

List A contains 1000 contacts, List B contains 100 contacts that are also on List A in case we want a more targetted email.

There's an email that goes out to several lists, and one of the modules has smart content. That content has a default generic vesion, a version for List A, and a version for List B.

However, All the contacts in List B are also contained in List A.

Does Hubspot determine that List B, being the smaller, more targetted list, overrides the rule in List A?

Thanks for the help. 🙂

0 Votes
1 Solution acceptée
karstenkoehler
Solution
Au panthéon de la communauté | Partenaire solutions

If there are 2 conflicting smart rules from a contact being on 2 lists, how does that work?

Résolue

Hi @RonWithTwoAs,

Usually HubSpot checks rules (in any tool) one after the other, following the order that they were set up in. First list, second list, if none apply show the default.

My recommendation would be to set up lists to be mutually exclusive to have full control over this situation. In your case, you would have to decide which variation is more important, I assume version B as it's smaller. You would then have to create another list that contains all A contacts minus the B contacts.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

Voir la solution dans l'envoi d'origine

0 Votes
5 Réponses
karstenkoehler
Solution

Résolue

Hi @RonWithTwoAs,

Usually HubSpot checks rules (in any tool) one after the other, following the order that they were set up in. First list, second list, if none apply show the default.

My recommendation would be to set up lists to be mutually exclusive to have full control over this situation. In your case, you would have to decide which variation is more important, I assume version B as it's smaller. You would then have to create another list that contains all A contacts minus the B contacts.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Votes
RealGB
Membre

Résolue

I am having similar issue, where there appears to be conflict in the Smart Rules.
However, the Smart rules appears to take 90% of smart rule assets applied from one list and 10% of smart rule assets from another group. 

This means the dynamic email is broken (jumbled).

You mention making them mutually exclusive. 
How would one do this if customers are changing from list A to List B rather regularly?

Our "Lists" are made on "has deal owner = A" and "Has deal owner = B".

I'd be happy to have the exclusive, just not clear here to do this when they'll have both sets of deals. 

Any suggestions?

0 Votes
RonWithTwoAs
Membre

Résolue

Ahh ok that makes sense.

Just another question for the sake of understanding how it works: If it reads the rules from first to last, does it choose the first or the last as the go-to? I won't rely on this method in general, but it'd help with explaining things to some of my co-workers if an email is sent and there are conflicting rules that were missed.

0 Votes
karstenkoehler

Résolue

Hi @RonWithTwoAs,

Just tested this in my own portal to confirm, it is as I wrote above: First list, second list, third list and so on, if none apply show the default.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

RonWithTwoAs
Membre

Résolue

Ok thanks! 🙂

0 Votes