Sales Email

krsyoung
Teilnehmer/-in

IMAP Configuration for Office 365 Shared Mailbox

lösung

Hi, does anybody have an example of how to configure HubSpot IMAP for an Office 365 shared mailbox?

I've tried a variety of configurations with out success.  This is what I've been using via other mail clients:

Email Address: shared@otherdomain.com

Password: <password for me@domain.com>

Username: me@domain.com/shared

IMAP: outlook.office365.com:993

SMTP: smtp.office365.com

Using this same configuration within HubSpot results in the error: 

Unable to create inbox for this user.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

1 Akzeptierte Lösung
piotr
Lösung
Mitglied

lösung

Hi, 

I've fixed that by resetting the password to the office shared mailbox and simply processing with the normal login using mailbox credentials. The email account works like a charm.

I hope it helps.

Piotr

Lösung in ursprünglichem Beitrag anzeigen

29 Antworten
ClaireBIGENIUS
Teilnehmer/-in

lösung

I contacted support today as I needed also to connect a Microsoft office shared mail box without password to a personal email.

So as a complement to this question, if there is no password (a "real" shared mail box and not a concrete office user used a shared mail box, it is not possible anymore to connect to it).

Explanation:

The IMAP/SMTP workaround might have worked in the past, but is no longer viable since Microsoft deprecated support for basic authentication for O365 some time last year. For context, basic authentication is when you log in with an email/username and a password, whereas modern authentication is done through Oauth (this is where you sign into the Microsoft page to connect).

shivam177
Mitglied

lösung

Office 365 is one of the most popular subscription-based email clients that provide the most collaborative and up-to-date features to its users. Due to its great functionality, many users want to switch to Office 365 account. In this regard, you can go through this informative article that provides you a detailed procedure of the manual method to migrate IMAP to Office 365.

However, the manual methods have some limitations and also don’t work in the case of bulk emails. In such cases, you can opt for the IMAP Backup Tool. This software is fully loaded with multiple advanced features that make the migration process more compatible for its users. It also allows the users to remove all duplicate emails from the migration process that occurs more than once. Moreover, you can also migrate your emails to Office 365, Thunderbird, Gmail, Yahoo, and many other email clients. For analyzing its performance, try its free demo version.

DianaGomez
Community-Manager/-in
Community-Manager/-in

lösung

Hi @shivam177 hope you are doing well!

Thanks for sharing.

Best, 

Diana

¿Sabías que la Comunidad está disponible en Español?
¡Participa hoy en conversaciones en el idioma de tu preferencia,cambiando el idioma en tus configuraciones!

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
mswitzer
Teilnehmer/-in

lösung

I wanted to create a centralized hub for inbound without burning another Office 365 license.

Found this article and then found a solution to this that works for me and it will likely help you, too.

1. Create a hubspot hosted email address to act as your inbox email address

2. Add a mail user to Office 365 that points to your external hubspot hosted email address

- instructions here

- I called mine "Hubspot Inbound" for instance

3. Create an Office 365 shared mailbox as desired

- "<Company> Inbound" in my case

4. Edit the delivery properties to add a forward to your newly created mail user

- mailbox features - mail flow - delivery features - enable mail forwarding

- select your new mail user you created, in my case "Hubspot Inbound"

5. Give it some time to propigate the changes

6. Test

7. Proift

piotr
Lösung
Mitglied

lösung

Hi, 

I've fixed that by resetting the password to the office shared mailbox and simply processing with the normal login using mailbox credentials. The email account works like a charm.

I hope it helps.

Piotr

Alaska27
Teilnehmer/-in

lösung

I didn't realise you could 'create' a password for shared mailboxes, but this worked great. Go to admin settings > Active Users > find shared mailbox > reset password > type in new password > voila.
I had to add the inbox to hubspot through an inprivate browser so that I could enter the email address of the inbox I wanted to add, otherwise it tried to use my default main email address. 

svet
Mitglied

lösung

EDIT: Indeed, I was "missing something major" in my original response below. The bit about a shared mailbox not having a password is not entirely true, as discussed here. In Office 365 you can indeed create a shared mailbox, then go to the "Active users" list (not the "Shared mailboxes" list), click on the mailbox, and do a password reset in order to set a password. Then use that username and password in order to connect it with Hubspot.

===

Unless I'm missing something major, I'm not sure how the suggestion to "reset the password" on a shared mailbox is a legitimate solution? The core issue is that an actual Office 365 shared mailbox doesn't actually have a username and password associated with it (https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/lystavlen/2011/11/04/understanding-shared-mailboxes-in-office-36...).

This seems like a very common use case. Would be great if there was a way to get this working natively. Thank you for an otherwise amazing product!

mmsown
Mitglied

lösung

I am very disappointed that the Conversations modual within Hubspot cannot integrate with an Office365 shared email.  I want to toss my hook in to try to catch the response when this gets corrected.

For those who are searching for answers, the issue is that Hubspot requires the email to have it's own login into the Office365 system.  Shared emails do not have their own logins. They are shared by other users and are accessed through the other users' logins.  These "other users' logins" only allow you to connect that user's own personal email to Hubspot. 

DingDong1
Teilnehmer/-in

lösung

Same Problem here, looking for a fix! 

seanvokirkpatri
Teilnehmer/-in

lösung

I am also having an issue with connecting a shared mailbox.  They don't have sign-ons, so the current 365 integration can't work for a shared mailbox.... unless I've missed something.  Has this gained any traction in the dev team?

kbtux
Teilnehmer/-in

lösung

We are trying to integrate a non O365 shared mailbox with IMAP and are unable to connect. We successfully set up a non-shared mailbox (also non O365) using IMAP, but trying to connect a shared mailbox instantly sends an "Unable to create inbox for this user." Error. 

It seems to be a shared mailbox integration issue. I will be reaching out to our HS representative.

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community-Manager/-in
Community-Manager/-in

lösung

Hey @krsyoung

Have you confirmed your server and port information with your IT team? You should be able to connect your Office 365 account using that information. If you still have the issue after confirming the information, can you please send along the information outlined in this article? That information will help us advise on next steps.

Thank you,

Jenny

0 Upvotes
krsyoung
Teilnehmer/-in

lösung

Thanks fo the reply @jennysowyrda

The configuration is correct (they are used in multiple other email clients to interface with Office365's IMAP).

Here are the details from: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/Account-Settings/Have-a-Question-about-IMAP/td-p/23396

1. Hub ID:  3486281

2.  See below

Screenshot of connectiondetails:

01 IMAP Details.png

First error after clicking submit:

02 IMAP Initial Error.png

Second error after checking "Allow non-secure certificate"

03 IMAP Second Error.png

3. Email address: chris@mdmax.ca

4.  Excluded as the HAR contains my IMAP password.  This is very dangerous to ask for.  https://community.hubspot.com/t5/Account-Settings/Have-a-Question-about-IMAP/td-p/23396 should be updated to inform a users they will be sharing their password if they choose to upload it publically.

5. a) email address - manually b) password - manually c) port information (under advanced settings) - autopopulated (incorrectly) then corrected manually

Thanks for the help.

jennysowyrda
Community-Manager/-in
Community-Manager/-in

lösung

Hey @krsyoung

You can share the HAR file with me directly-no need to share it publicily as we do want to keep your information private!

Can you try connecting your inbox through the Office365 connection instead of IMAP? It looks like your email address is hosted by O365 so I am curious to see if you have better results with that connection. 

I am also going to share all of this information with the support team to see if they can provide any additional insight as well. 

Please let me know how you get on with the O365 connection and we can go from there.

Thank you, 

Jenny

krsyoung
Teilnehmer/-in

lösung

Hi @jennysowyrda, thanks for the help and quick reply!

I have the primary address for the account (chris@cadoolabs.com) configured through the Office 365 Integration (works great!).  The problem only comes when integrating the shared mailboxes which requires the IMAP configuration -- mainly because I don't have an opporunity to pick the shared mailbox address when using the Office 365 method.

And sorry, noob question, how do I share the HAR file with you?  Is there some way to direct message here?

Thanks a million!

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community-Manager/-in
Community-Manager/-in

lösung

Hi @krsyoung

Thanks for that information regarding the O365 option. I'm going to partner with the support team for this one to get next steps regarding the shared inbox situation. 

I'm also going to direct message you so that you can reply to send me the har file! 

Thanks,

Jenny

Artur
Mitglied

lösung

I have same problem, while integrating email with Office 365 only main email adress can be intergarted, however I have another 2 shared emails adresses that I use and need to integrate with Hubspot. Please advise.

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community-Manager/-in
Community-Manager/-in

lösung

Hey @Artur and @krsyoung

I'm still investigating next steps for shared inboxes. Once I have more information or updates, I will reach out through this thread.

Thank you,

Jenny

0 Upvotes
krsyoung
Teilnehmer/-in

lösung

Hey @jennysowyrda, any chance there is some good news on this front?  We're ramping up our sales pipeline and this would be incredible helpful to have!  

We have tried using the BCC address but it doesn't work, which makes sense because the email address differs, so we're pretty much stuck with copy & paste / manual notes 😞

jennysowyrda
Community-Manager/-in
Community-Manager/-in

lösung

Hi @krsyoung

Thank you for your patience! I've been working with our developers regarding this, and essentially the root of the issue is that you are trying to connect an Office 365 hosted email through IMAP. As far as the shared inbox, there shouldn't be anything interferring with the functionality of using a shared inbox through the O365 connection. Have you partnered with your IT team regarding this connection issue? As they know the ins and outs of your connection and email hosting services, they will be the best resource in terms of what limitations are inteferring with the shared inbox. 

If you continue to have this issue after working with your IT team, can you send along any additional information regarding your inbox set up, or the customizations around your email server settings? 

Thank you,
Jenny

0 Upvotes