Sales Email

nicolebrenner
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

How to add an alias to connected Gmail accounts

SOLVE

Due to a recent change made in the CRM, any users who have a Google or Outlook 365 account connected to HubSpot will notice that any other accounts they have linked to the CRM are no longer connected.

Slack_-_HubSpot_1.png

This change was made in order to improve a number of email deliverability issues related to sending email from the CRM, and moving forward we will be making additional changes.

What this means is that if you have additional email accounts that are not hosted by Outlook 365 or Google, you may need to create an alias in order to connect your account. Alternatively, you can select the connected inbox from the dropdown menu and send using that email address.

_SIG-5096__Customers_who_do_not_use_Google_Apps_for_Work_or_Office_365_being_prompted_to_connect_their_inbox_-_HubSpot_JIRA_and_Untitled_document_-_Google_Docs_1.png 

If you would like to send from the secondary account, you will can create an alias using a connected Google Account (either Google Apps for Work or Gmail).

Once you are logged into google, you can navigate to settings -> accounts and import in gmail settings. For complete instructions, I would recommend checking out this documenation from Google.

I have included some screenshots of what this process looks like:

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 12.26.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 12.27.04 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-04-19 at 12.26.55 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-04-19 at 12.26.33 PM.png

You should get an email confirming that you own the other address and once that is configured hubspot should allow you to send properly. (In some cases you may need to set up custom SMTP servers in step 3 for this to work correctly)

1 Accepted solution
relabidin
Solution
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

SOLVE

Creating an alias for your work email does not allow you to integrate it with HubSpot. Only Google and Outlook 365 inboxes can be integrated with HubSpot. Creating an alias for your work address under your Gmail account allows you to send email from the HubSpot CRM with your work address in the From field, but the inbox is not actually integrated with HubSpot.

Rami 

View solution in original post

36 Replies 36
ipl123india12

SOLVE

Thanks @relabidin

I understand that the reason behind connecting the inbox is so that the customer replies get logged onto Hubspot. Am I correct?

If yes, then do I have to forward all emails from my professional email onto the personal email?

0 Upvotes
csyperski
Participant

SOLVE

Hmm, I did this and I can now send via gmail, and I've authorized hubspot within gmail and all was successful, but I still have the screen that says...."Connect with your email

Integrate with your preferred email client below to send emails from the CRM and automatically track replies."

This is a pretty big change that doesn't seem to have been well communicated to the community.  

relabidin
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

SOLVE

Hi @csyperski,

There is a connection error with once of your two connected inboxes. Please reconnect your Gmail inbox to HubSpot (or remove it) and you should be able to send normally again. I will message you privately with more details on which of your email addresses is not connected properly.

Rami 

0 Upvotes
csyperski
Participant

SOLVE

I don't know if  change was made, but I removed the application access for hubspot from my gmail account and re-added it and it seems to be working this morning.  So anyone else having the issue, maybe give it another try????

djpirate
Participant

SOLVE

It's still not working. 

0 Upvotes
relabidin
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

SOLVE

Hi @djpirate,

Did you create an alias for your main email address under your free gmail account? 

I recommend disconnecting and then reconnecting your business email account from HubSpot.

Rami 

0 Upvotes
djpirate
Participant

SOLVE

There isn't a way to disconnect from Hubspot. You have to disconnect from gmail, but even then it still shows the account in the integrations. What a frustrating experince this has been. 

0 Upvotes
relabidin
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

SOLVE

Hi @djpirate,

If you disconnect your Gmail address from HubSpot (from within your Google account settings), you should be able to send from your main business address again. Alternatively, you can create an alias for your business address under your personal Gmail.

Rami 

0 Upvotes
MichaelBruton

SOLVE

We're on Day 3 and even the new temporary workaround is failing.

0 Upvotes
djpirate
Participant

SOLVE

Looks like it may be fixed!

Erika

SOLVE

I am able to send emails again too!!

0 Upvotes
biancaYDL
Participant

SOLVE

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work anymore if you have outlook 365 and your email routed via IMAP. 

I tried connecting and adding the alias via gmail but this wont solve my issues.

Considering the amount of time spent on trying to find a solutiona and the amount of emails that got lost in the system, I will have to unsubscribe form the Pro Version

There seems no legit way to connect your email if you dont have a google business account.

Very disappointing that no one has been notified before making these important changes.

0 Upvotes
Erika

SOLVE

I did this already as well. It tells me I am connected in my email settings, but when I try to send an email through HubSpot it tells me I need to connect. Help please!! We're 2 days behind on our sales follow-ups and we have had ZERO warning this was going to happen 😞

relabidin
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

SOLVE

Hi @Erika,

You have 5 inboxes connected to your HubSpot account, 3 of which are experiencing errors. I will message you privately to let you know which inboxes are affected. You can attempt to reconnect your Gmail inboxes following this guide: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/email-notifications/reconnecting-your-inbox-to-hu...

Or disconnect unused inboxes following this guide: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/email-notifications/how-do-i-disconnect-an-author...

Rami  

0 Upvotes
biancaYDL
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Rami,

I have a case open with ryan. I do not want to route a gmail but an outlook 365. THis one is connected via IMAP since my server is bluehost.

My ticket number is  #553354

I tried connecting it the way like discribed above with gmail which added a bunch of email address I dont need but the one I need still doesnt work,

ALso gmail is not the program I use and the emails I need to have tracked are written via outlook.

I have everything downloaded and had Ryan take over my computer and nothing seems to work. I assume it has to do with this update.

I for now canceled my pro version and request a refund of this months fee since I was unable to use it and actually have had extra trouble with clients with emails that didnt go out and were important, 

Please notify you when you have fixed this issue and when it is easy for me to connect my inbox.

Before that I am not willing to invest time or money into a Pro version.

Best regards

Bianca

0 Upvotes
djpirate
Participant

SOLVE

I agree the alias method does not work with custom smtp settings. It says my gmail inbox is connected but I think it is still trying to link to the old information. Please fix.