Emails not associating with Deals at all, creating significant amounts of new work for us.

Occasional Contributor

It was my understanding with the changes in activities and deals that emails tracked by the system would automatically associate with the 5 most recent open deals linked to a given contact.

However, all my new deals made since the change are not logging email activity (tracked using the Hubspot BCC code). The emails are showing up under the contact only.

My previous workflow:

Email lead, BCC Hubspot.

Go to CRM, create a new Deal associated with the new contact.

Go to Deal, attach relevant files, emails are already there: Done.

New workflow:

Email lead, BCC Hubspot.
Go to CRM, create a new Deal associated with the new contact.

Go to Deal, attach relevant files.

Go back to Contact.

Find email.

Click Edit.

Add Deal to email.

Repeat on other emails.

Check Deal to make sure they're there now.

Done.

This is frustrating to say the least. Is there any way to revert back to the format where logged emails (via the BCC code) are automatically associated to Deals that are also linked to that contact?

17 Replies 17
Occasional Contributor

We are also surprised by this decision, as it's creating a lot more work for us. I am shocked that Hubspot decided to roll this out without even having an option to keep using the old way of associating deals with emails. This creates several times more work for us and reduces the usefulness of Hubspot considerably. I understand the need for the new features for some companies, but we are hurt by this feature by having to reduce our sales time in order to clean up and sort through Hubspot. Hopefully, HubSpot reconsiders this move as I'm sure many other users are being hurt by this.

Occasional Contributor

Absolutely agree, this makes HubSpot almost unusuable now. Originaly thought this was a bug and spent 20 mins on the phone with support who also couldn't explain why they weren't being assigned automatically. Needs an urgent fix.

Occasional Contributor

I tried tweeting their support account - let's see...

HubSpot Moderator

Hi @LW-Robin @dave_belboon and @thatsiavash I've shared your feedback with our Product team. While immediate changes to the tool or its functionality are not imminent, they've acknolwedged this as a pain point, and are looking for ways to improve this process. Watch this space for more updates.

Thank you,

Ed Justen   

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ed @edjusten,

From the Hubspot article on the release of this change, it states:

"This functionality is not yet available in your email client. Only for activities that occur within HubSpot. Emails you log from your inbox will be associated with the contact, the associated company, and the five most recent open deals."

Why are we not seeing activities associate with the five most recent open deals as stated in the release notes? Prior to the release of this update, I had reviewed the article above and it was that technical note that reassured us that we would not lose functionality of our CRM (only gain the ability to edit email associations).

Our Deals are rapidly becoming disorganized, hard to track, and despite being a very small Sales team, we're having to go back and constantly review to try to find missing emails that are supposed to be associated with Deals. We are losing track of leads and reverting back to sticky notes, forwarded emails, and having to check with each other in person.

The automatic association of emails with Deals is what set Hubspot CRM apart from the other options - with this new update in which every new email has to be manually logged to a Deal from the Contact page makes Hubspot CRM less intuitive, and (as demonstrated by the workflow above) a lot more work.

@dave_belboon@thatsiavash

HubSpot Moderator

@LW-Robin  According to your post above, your first step in the proces is: 

Email lead, BCC Hubspot.

The product update you referenced notes:

This functionality is not yet available in your email client. 

While not stated specifically, I confirmed with the team that this includes messages using the BCC address. As stated above the team has acknowledged this as a pain point and is working on a way to improve this process.

In the meantime, is there a reason you are not able to connect your inboxes via the Outlook/Gmail integration or IMAP/SMTP? Once connected you can send messages and associate them to deals in one step directly from the HubSpot interface. 

Thank you.

Ed Justen

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

@edjusten Thanks for taking up this issue as I'm sure many more people are having problems with this! One thing I still don't understand is that the most recent 5 emails still don't show up as the blog page says it should. I look forward to a solution that allows us the option to go back to the old way of organizing these deal pages! We really like Hubspot overall, but this broken feature almost made us make a switch to another platform until we received your response.

Occasional Contributor

Seriously the only word is Frustrating!  Why wouldn't this be an option to toggle on and off.   Please make this happen. 

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

Agreed! At first it appeared that the emails were logging on the lasts 5 deals as specified in the release notes. Now it appears to be completely random. This creates so much more work for our team, and makes it likely that we miss important conversations, particularly if there are multiple contacts on a deal. When will this be amended? 

Regular Visitor

Hi,

Has there been any update on this issue?

We rely a lot on filtering deals based on the last contacted date and emails seems to be randomly attached to deals.

Sometimes just emailing a contact with hubspot in BCC works, the emails is displayed in the deal, and sometimes it doesn't show up. Is there a rule based on the deal creation date, deal type or anything that is used to determine that it will receive emails of the associated contacts?

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

Agreed. We have just set up some new users within our business and this error seems random. Some emails log fine to deals... others do not. When will this be looked into?

@edjusten

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

Was this ever solved? The BCC function is not working for me at all in regard to deals. Only contacts. 

0 Upvotes
Visitor

Any update on this?  I can't believe they removed an intuitive workflow.  Not sure why this would have happened.  Agree with other posters from over a year ago!

Highlighted
HubSpot Employee

The email should log to the five most recent open deals, however, these deals have to be open when the email is logged.  It sounds like from several user's comments that you're opening the deal after the email has been logged, which won't auto-associate the email to the deal.  HOWEVER, I wanted to highlight a feature when you create a deal that will resolve this for you.  When you create the deal and associate a contact to that deal, you can also associate timeline activities as well.  See below for what this looks like.Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 3.10.30 PM.png

New Contributor

Becca,

This is helpful but is there a way to add timeline activity for a contact for an existing deal or can you only do it when creating a new deal? Thanks!

New Contributor

Yes, that works when you create a new deal and the contact and emails are already there. and you associate them and all their history. However, it does not work, when the deal is already created and you start exchanging emails with a new contact. 

0 Upvotes
Visitor

Do hubspot developers have plan to fix this bug, or they think it's a feature?

It's incredibe that it's ignored since 2017.