Sales Email

FuturAlly

Email Tracking Issues

Hi! 

I am running into a weird issue with the email tracking feature. 

I have 20 emails that keep registering an open event all at the same time, in some sort of a vicious loop. Like 3 times in an hour and then 2 times the next hour, and this all day.

The issue is affecting randomly some emails and not others. I checked in the code of the emails to find the tracking code and they are not the exact same so it doesn't seem to come from that. 

For context, these are not automated mass emails, they are partially templated but very personalised and I only sent something like 60 emails in the last 48h. 

I followed the troubleshooting process but there is nothing applying to this particular problem. 

See the screenshot below:

FuturAlly_0-1619112648752.png

This is quite a problem as it is completely messing up my reporting. 

Did anyone see this kind of problem before?

Many thanks for the help!

0 Upvotes
7 Replies 7
MiaSrebrnjak
Community Manager
Community Manager

Email Tracking Issues

I wanted to link to this Community thread for future reference. Antoine has found that email tracking irregularities in HubSpot are caused by an interference with the sales extension apollo.io

Mia

Wusstest du, dass es auch eine DACH-Community gibt?
Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, indem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by
changing your language settings

FuturAlly

Email Tracking Issues

Hi @MiaSrebrnjak !

I sent them through my email client Gmail using the sales extension to track and log.  The HubSpot extension is up to date, version: 2.9.0.5170

All the emails were sent one at a time, using the template feature of Gmail and there was only one recipient per email with the only bcc being the HubSpot log email address. On top of the template, I am adding a "snippet" paragraph copied from a Google sheet and pasted as "plain text".

Many thanks for your help!

0 Upvotes
MiaSrebrnjak
Community Manager
Community Manager

Email Tracking Issues

@FuturAllythank you for you patience while I investigate this with our support team. Would you mind sending me a DM with a link to the contact record & the email in your HubSpot account where you've noticed these irregularities? 

Thanks! 

Mia

Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, indem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst

FuturAlly

Email Tracking Issues

Maybe this screenshot might more clear: 

FuturAlly_1-1619174003563.png

The loop seems to have stopped at the moment, but it went on all day yesterday. Reaching 40 open events for some recipients I reached out too in the morning. 

0 Upvotes
MiaSrebrnjak
Community Manager
Community Manager

Email Tracking Issues

Got it, thank you for the screenshots @FuturAlly!

To be able to investigate further, can you tell us a bit more about how you sent those emails? 

• Have you sent them from the CRM or your email client, using our Sales add-in?
  • If you've sent the emails via your email client: which client and version of our Sales add-in are you using? 
  • Have you sent one email at a time or have you created one email and sent it to multiple recipients in BCC?
  • You mentioned that the content in the emails is partially templated - have you copied the content from an email? Was that email tracked? 

Thanks, 

Mia

0 Upvotes
FuturAlly

Email Tracking Issues

Hi Mia! 

Thanks for your reply! 

#1 article: Everything is set up correctly and the troubleshooting tool tells me there are no conflicting extensions

#2 article: I understand the point of having dynamic IP addresses creating multiple open events for recipients. But in my case, it's 20 different people, with different hosts that appear to open my emails all at the same time. Hence why I am really confused here.

Many thanks!

0 Upvotes
MiaSrebrnjak
Community Manager
Community Manager

Email Tracking Issues

Hi @FuturAlly,

Since this behaviour isn't consistent, we can probably exclude the option that the notifications are triggered by your own email client or browser as self opens. But just to be on the safe side: have you already checked this Knowledge base article that includes the most recent instruction to block self open notifications? 

Additionally, could you please review this article that explains why you might be getting multiple notifications for one specific tracked email? One of the reasons might be that the recipient's server dynamically changes that user's IP address.

Thanks, 

Mia