Email Integration - Office 365 vs. Outlook Add-in

SOLVE
Highlighted
New Contributor

I recently enabled the email integration for Office 365 and downloaded the add-in for Office 365, but I'm not seeing my emails logged in HubSpot.  I have several accounts set up in my Outlook application, each with its own Office 365 account.  I logged into each account separately and I'm sure the add-in downloaded correctly for each one.  I'm wondering, though, if the fact that I don't use the online interface to send email is the reason why the emails aren't showing up.  Support told me to download the Office 365 one, but since I use my Office 365 account through the actual Outlook desktop application, do I need to download the add-in for Outlook instead?  

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager

Hi @carlyejowens I wanted to clarify a few things r.e. which add-in to use. 

Firstly, please review the matrix below to ensure you've selected the right add-in. Click one of the add-ins for installation information.

Office 365 add-in 

Outlook desktop add-in

Email host Office 365 Any
Preferred email client Outlook on the web Outlook.com 
Outlook for Mac
Outlook 2016 
Outlook 2013 
Outlook 2010
Operating system Mac, PC PC only
Requires connected inbox Yes No*

Besides the email environment and operating system requirements in the matrix above, the main differences between the Outlook desktop add-in and Office 365 add-in are the contact profiles sidebar menu and the need for a connected inbox.

• The desktop add-in does not require a connected inbox (although using some of the HubSpot Sales features require a connected inbox), and the contact profiles sidebar is persistent, meaning it will always be open.
  • The Office 365 add-in requires a connected inbox. Additionally, the contact profiles sidebar is not persistent; it needs to be opened manually.

If your email environment is more aligned with the Office 365 add-in requirements above, the Office 365 add-in is recommended.

Please, can you review the setup information below and confirm which add-ins you are using and when:

19 Replies
Community Manager

Hello @carlyejowens can you confirm which of the following you are using:

1. Outlook for desktop (PC)
  2. Outlook for Mac
  3. Outlook.com (browser)
0 Upvotes
New Contributor

I alternate between a PC and a Mac, but I don't use Outlook.com.

0 Upvotes
Top Contributor

Hi @carlyejowens

Did you manage to solve this problem? If not then please feel free to reach out and I can try and help. 

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

Thanks for your response.  I do see some emails being logged in my primary account (although not all of them for some reason), but not in any of my "secondary" accounts (I have about 20 accounts).  

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

I have also noticed that when I BCC hubspot on outgoing email blasts/campaigns, it logs those outbound messages but not the replies.

0 Upvotes
Top Contributor

Hi @carlyejowens

Sorry to hear you are still experiencing issues. We recently helped another HubSpot customer that was experiencing similar issues with not being able to log any replies to outbound messages. We currently have an integration with HubSpot that can help with this if you are interested then please feel free to drop me a line at threads@jpy.com. 

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

I'm not interested in downloading additional software.  

0 Upvotes
Top Contributor

Hi @carlyejowens

No additional software is required. We simply use our solution to link your email account to your HubSpot account so that all of your emails (sent or received) will appear as logged items. This is as simple as us asking you to provide your email client details into our secure webform. We can add as many email accounts as you like. 

Once its up and running you can then just continue to use HubSpot as you would do usually whilst the sync updates in the background. 

0 Upvotes
Community Manager

Hi @carlyejowens

here are several reasons why your email may not have been tracked when using the Office 365 add-in:

• Your inbox hasn't been connected. The HubSpot Sales Office 365 add-in requires a connected inbox
  • The add-in wasn't open when the email was sent. To open the add-in:
    • If you're using an Outlook desktop account on a PC or Mac, click Sales Tools in the Outlook message ribbon. If the Sales Tools icon is grayed out, restart Outlook. 
    • If you're using an Outlook on the web or Outlook.com account, compose a new email and click the HubSpot sprocket icon sprocket in the bottom right-hand corner of the email composition window.
  • The Track email opens box was not checked when the email was sent. You'll need to check the box for each email you'd like to track. 

Can you let me know if you have all of these inboxes connected to HubSpot as per the instructions above? 

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

Yes, all of the inboxes are connected.  The add-in is/was definitely open.  The track and log boxes were both checked.  

I use Outlook applications on two different computers, but I do have Office365 as my Microsoft subscription, so since everything is recorded in my Office365 online platform, shouldn't it show up for all the accounts that have their inboxes linked if I have the add-in enabled in the back-end of 365? 

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

I also am noticing that the hubspot address is being copied, rather than blind copied on all of my outbound emails.

0 Upvotes
Community Manager

Hey @carlyejowens could you please send me a private message with a screenshot of what you see on this link: https://app.hubspot.com/sales-products-settings/2107485/email

0 Upvotes
Community Thought Leader

Really interested in learning what you guys find @roisinkirby

Not to add to the complexity, but we haven't seen HubSpot's mail connector for the same gmail account(s) work simultaneously across multiple computers at the same time. Didn't think HS was designed to work that way, so just figured it would be the same for Outlook.

Seems like one of those 3-way light switches in our livingroom where sometimes 'up' means 'on' and other times 'up' means 'off'! haha

Best,
Frank

hubspot-solutions-signature-mfrankjohnson-v03.png

www.MFrankJohnson.com

0 Upvotes
Community Manager

Hi @carlyejowens I wanted to clarify a few things r.e. which add-in to use. 

Firstly, please review the matrix below to ensure you've selected the right add-in. Click one of the add-ins for installation information.

Office 365 add-in 

Outlook desktop add-in

Email host Office 365 Any
Preferred email client Outlook on the web Outlook.com 
Outlook for Mac
Outlook 2016 
Outlook 2013 
Outlook 2010
Operating system Mac, PC PC only
Requires connected inbox Yes No*

Besides the email environment and operating system requirements in the matrix above, the main differences between the Outlook desktop add-in and Office 365 add-in are the contact profiles sidebar menu and the need for a connected inbox.

• The desktop add-in does not require a connected inbox (although using some of the HubSpot Sales features require a connected inbox), and the contact profiles sidebar is persistent, meaning it will always be open.
  • The Office 365 add-in requires a connected inbox. Additionally, the contact profiles sidebar is not persistent; it needs to be opened manually.

If your email environment is more aligned with the Office 365 add-in requirements above, the Office 365 add-in is recommended.

Please, can you review the setup information below and confirm which add-ins you are using and when:

New Contributor

I have both the add-ins installed since I use both Outlook on the PC and Outlook for Mac.  

0 Upvotes
Community Manager

And which emails are not logging - the emails you send using the Office 365 add-in or the Outlook desktop add-in?

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by sending using the add-in.  I'm not really sending any emails with the add-in per-se, I just have it installed and I want all of my emails to/from contacts in my CRM to be tracked on their contact record.  

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

Hi

@roisinkirby 

I link to this discussion! I have Office 365 and work exclusily with the Outlook client on my Windows 10 client.

the inbox should be connected. My outbound emails are logged and tracked as I define before sending.  But for some time the inbound emails -answers to my emails!-are not logged anymore. It had worked before but not for the time.

What should I do?

Christoph

New Contributor

Hi

I send my emails always with the desktop version of Outlook.

Christoph

0 Upvotes