Sales Email

glencornell
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Details about the new Sequence reporting [in beta]

What's new?

We've added new tracking to sequences to show the full breakdown of template reporting within that specific sequence. However, you may have noticed that some of your new data doesn't add up! That's because we added this tracking February 1st 2019, and any sequences sent through Gmail or Outlook prior to the February 1st weren’t tracking these new metrics:

Sequences___HubSpot.jpg

What should I do?

To start accurately tracking open and click rates for your sequences, we recommend cloning and deleting sequences created BEFORE February 1, 2019.

cloning a sequence.gif

Sequences created AFTER February 1, 2019 will see accurate reporting as intended.

If you don’t plan to use open and click rates to measure the performance of your sequences, then no action is needed.  

If you have any questions about this change, or if you’re curious about sequences reports, leave a comment! Our product team is happy to chat through and explain in more details in the comments below!

19 Replies 19
shanukumar

Hi there. 

My name is Shanu. In our company, Typeset, the Sales team has been using the sequence feature regularly to reactivate old leads. It's been an important tool for us. 

However, there are some limitations in terms of the usage that we are confused by. 

In the "status" section, does it show the status of the last email of the sequence that was sent out? Is there no time-based reporting that can help us understand the status of each individual email that is part of the sequence. 

To further explain what I am referring to, please find attached the snapshot below:

Source: cdn-a.typeset.io/hubspot-sequence.pngSource: cdn-a.typeset.io/hubspot-sequence.png

0 Upvotes
sleitz
Participant

You need to be able to drill down further into the reports. These show how many clicks or opens, but doesn't show you WHO. 

Jbrewster
Participant

Checking to see if this is still on the table. Can we get an update from HubSpot concerning getting a clickable list of Contacts who clicked/opened certain emails sent through a Sequence?

finn
Top Contributor

Is there ANY way to track what each enrolled contact did (responded/not responded/bounced/etc) and get it into a list (inside or outside Hubspot)? It is really handicapping for our sales process to be sending out emails and not knowing what the response was for each individual in a structured, automated way.

If not through the sequence report, then through API, general HS reporting, 3rd party tool or whatever. I even heard someone discussing a web scraping mechanism of the paged list.

I know there are some ideas on the community forum, from just drilling into the report to adding them to a list, but it is unclear when that will eventually find its way to the tool.

thanks

SGV
Participant

Hi Finn,

I too have been struggling with this.  FYI...I use SalesPro.  You mentioned in your post that you'd heard of some people getting them into a list.  Not sure if this is what you are talking about, but I've created lists using the parameter "recent sales emails opened" .  When I exported it I could specify what properties I wanted.  This report will also show you recent clicked emails and I think replied also.

However, it doesn't mean the email in the report is necessarily from the sequence you sent.  It could be a different email they opened.  It's easier to tell if what you sent was clicked, because a date is listed. 

Another way, that I think is a bit more accurate, is to go into Tasks, filter by contact owner if needed.  Then filter, type the word 'recent' again, and the options of recent sales email opened, clicked and replied are available.  You can then add a filter to nail down dates.  I used a date range to try and ID who was opening my emails.  Still not perfect.  It's great that the contacts that opened email were listed there in my task bar and I could just call them from there, rather than using an external spreadsheet and going back and forth.

But, even after I worked them, they stayed in there so I had to remember who I'd talked to and who I hadn't.  

Don't know if any of this helps.  If you have thoughts on how to improve the process I've cobbled together, I would love to hear them.

0 Upvotes
finn
Top Contributor

The "solution" I was told about was to use a web scraper like data-miner.io and then literally let the scraper walk through the paginated table on the report page, save the output as csv, then import back into Hubspot into a custom contact field.

This should be 100% accurate in term of catching who did what, but it is messy, rather cumbersume and really should not be necessary, if we just could get Hubspot to build a little bit of functionality, that doesn't seem like such a big task. If I could just fill a Hubspot list with sequence status, then it would all be fine.

Ideally, we would have: 

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Completed-a-Sequence-List/idc-p/340661

and

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Drill-downs-for-Sequences-Open-Click-Reporting/idc-p/...

the latter even came from Hubspot / @glencornell and then got halted 😞

0 Upvotes
SGV
Participant

Hi Glen,

I've been struggling  with this too.....A LOT.  I get asked who is opening our emails, but have to go into the sequence to see.  Is a solution progressing?  

I finally felt listened to when Hubspot added the ability for more properties and the customize those you want to see in Tasks.  Yes, the fields are still too big...but I'll take what I can get.

While I'm here, being able to export or do something with the Activity Feed would be awesome.  Or mark it in some way, or something.  As it is....it's great real-time data...that I have to scroll back and forth  through...try to remember where I stopped.  

Thank you!

Susan

0 Upvotes
LaurenHart

So, I've just started a new sequence but the reporting doesnt seem to be working - for example, there have been at least 6 opens of the 15 emails sent, But the stats say zero opens....why would this be?

0 Upvotes
SeamusMacD
Participant

Hi, 

The screenshot in this article shows Email 1 - 5 with Titles and individual unsubcribe rates. The live version shows aggregate unsubscribe rate, but for individual emails. Also, mine is not showing titles/subjects, just Email 1, Email 2, etc.

0 Upvotes
glencornell
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

@SeamusMacD  - thank you for catching that. this image was taken from some internal work and you're correct, does not reflect the current designs accurately. For what its work, we are planning to add more functionality to this report, but for now, I will update this image to prevent further confusion. 

Thank you!!

0 Upvotes
LRUNACRE

Hello,

How can I see which contacts opened my emails in a sequence. I show 22% opened my email in my sequence but I am unable to see who.

glencornell
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Unfortunately, we have not yet added clickable reporting to this report, which would allow you to see a list of the contacts that have clicked. We are currently in development with this feature.

SGV
Participant

When are you going to add a tool/way to extract/export the individuals who opened the email, as well as the individuals who clicked on the email???  

Having just the top line % info about who opened it and who clicked it isn't actionable.

I need to be able to know who is interested so I can follow-up with them.  Otherwise, what's the point???!!!

SStocker
Participant | Diamond Partner
Participant | Diamond Partner

Is this limitation still the case today?

MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

Ok, so even though stats for sequences that included (Gmail or Outlook) sends prior to 1-Feb will not be factored into the top stats summary the stats for individual email sends in those sequences should still be ok.
Correct?

Basically, the only way to correct the top stats summary from this point forward is to clone, unenroll en mass, re-enroll en mass, have a nice day. - OR - Wait until existing sequences run their course, then clone, re-enroll en mass.
Correct?

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
glencornell
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Thanks for clarifying @MFrankJohnson 

"even though stats for sequences that included (Gmail or Outlook) sends prior to 1-Feb will not be factored into the top stats summary the stats for individual email sends in those sequences should still be ok Correct?"

That's right, individual email sends, and Template reporting are not affected by the update. 

"Basically, the only way to correct the top stats summary from this point forward is to clone, unenroll en mass, re-enroll en mass, have a nice day. - OR - Wait until existing sequences run their course, then clone, unenroll en mass, re-enroll en mass.
Correct?"

Correct, if you have used that sequence prior to February 1st 2019, then the only way to get 100% accurate data would be to clone and delete. I know that's a pain, but it's the only way we could get the new reporting breakdown into Sequences Smiley Frustrated

It might be a bigger pain to unenroll and reenroll - so another option if you have contacts that are actively in a sequence, it would be best to clone, start using the new sequence, and create an archive folder or delete the older sequence.

Here are some details going into the weeds a bit (in case this also helps!):

To add this reporting, we needed to add some new tracking code in our emails that would be unique to a sequence. This would allow us to track a sequence as a whole. Prior to this update, we could only track emails individually, so we couldn't know the open/click success rate of a sequence in its entirety.

For sequences sent through the HubSpot CRM, it wasn't an issue. We were able to retroactively add all of the neccesary data. So if you were to have sent 100% of your emails through the CRM, and never used the Outlook/Gmail extensions, then 100% of your data would be accurate. 

However, we were unable to retroactively update the the initial emails sent through the Outlook/Gmail clients. So in those cases, we are missing the data of the initial email in the sequence, and therefore have incomplete data in the summary table at the top.

spogue
Top Contributor

So is there no way to see open rates for particular templates within a sequence? For example, I want to see the open/click rates for the 3rd email in the sequence. Can I do that?

0 Upvotes
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @spogue 

You are able to see by going to your menu tab and selecting:

• Reports
  • Analytics tools 
  • Sales Content Analytics 
  • Sequences
  • Select the sequence you would like to see the information

I hope this helps.

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

Gottcha @glencornell. Thanks.

AND, appreciate the details ... they are a HUGE help when trying to troubleshoot strange behavior down the line.

Thanks again.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com