Sales Email

LK638
Contributor

Connected Email Sending Domain: Sales vs Marketing tools

Could someone clarify for me what consequences/effect a connected email sending domain has on marketing emails and sales emails (via the CRM and via connected inboxes).

When sending an email from any of these sources/with these settings, 'who' is the email being sent from, us or HubSpot?

I have been given mixed messages and need to clear this up, like our marketing emails are sent from HubSpot servers despite our email sending domain being connected and sales emails are sent from our email domain if reps' inboxes are connected with HubSpot. 

0 Upvotes
11 Replies 11
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @LK638 

All marketing emails are sent via HubSpot's shared email infrastructure except for users who have opted to send email via a HubSpot dedicated IP.

Part of our goal on the Email Deliverability team is to maintain the good health and standing of our sending network to make sure that your contacts are reliably receiving your emails. This, of course, includes Deliverability Protection, as well as remediation processes to resolve blacklistings and other negative impacts on the network.  I was able to find a similar post in our Community about this subject, you can check more about it here.

Sales emails are sent from the email server of the inbox connected, so for example, if I connect my Gmail, the emails sent in HubSpot will be sent from Gmail.

I will be also tagging some experts on this matter, @KadyJWhite@HubSpotMaster@ErinStudstill would you like to add any additional information here?

Thank you,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
LK638
Contributor

@PamCotton thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

However, I'm still unsure about the relevancy of 'connected email sending domain' - more specifically on a technical level - for both types of emails. Has it got adifferent/any effect on marketing vs sales emails? Is there any connection?

Would a marketing email be flagged as 'spam' affect sales emails? Does the connected domain or inbox make a difference? I'm assuming the answer applies to 'Opt out' too or does that differ?

0 Upvotes
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @LK638,

When you connect your email sending domain you give HubSpot permission to send emails on your behalf by connecting an email sending domain for DKIM (Domain Keys Identified Mail) email authentication. This removes the via HubSpot text that appears in the sender information at the top of your marketing emails.

But this will still be sent from our shared email infrastructure except for users who have opted to send email via a HubSpot dedicated IP. (more information here) .

Has it got a different/any effect on marketing vs sales emails? Is there any connection?

No both are different, while Sales emails are 1:1 emails that are sent directly from your email provider instead of HubSpot. You are not able to send on behalf of other users since it requires connecting a personal inbox.

While Marketing emails will be sent from our shared email infrastructure.

Would a marketing email be flagged as 'spam' affect sales emails? 

No

Does the connected domain or inbox make a difference? 

Connected domain in marketing will help prevent your marketing emails from getting caught in spam filters ( more information here).

While inbox connect will ensure you can send sales emails in HubSpot from your connected inbox.

I'm assuming the answer applies to 'Opt out' too or does that differ?

Opt-out will only apply for the email domain that the email was sent from.

Kindly,

Pam

0 Upvotes
HelenaBlasco
Participant

Hi Pam,

3 years later I need to reopen this topic. We are sending marketing emails and sales emails from the same email adress. If those marketing emails get marked as SPAM, does it affect to the sales emails as it's the same address?

Also wanted to ask, the email infraestracture that you mentioned above. When a marketing email is send through Hubspot, it's send through a shared IP, but what about the domain?

Thank you very much!

0 Upvotes
BuyerServices
Participant

I have similar questions. My company has connected inboxes (Gmail) and we send lots of sequences (that are for marketing purposes, to get our leads to take the next step with us). Am I learning that there is a dedicated different Marketing Email structure? No one in the company is tech savvy and we've just added seats to our HS account as we've grown. We want to get this Feb 2024 email authentication right and not handicap ourselves. But I don't even know that we have done anything right up to now. Looking for help. 🙂
Thanks.

0 Upvotes
LK638
Contributor

Hi @PamCotton 

Thank you very much for your detailed response.

I have one -hopefully- final question regarding the Opt out.

If a contact opts out of all does that include the 1 to 1 emails from sales?

Within our account, we have 4 subscription types, 1 is called 'One to One', and the description denotes that it is a HubSpot default.

I'm really hope that this does not effect connected inbox emails (although, as I understand correctly, it would effect sequences, correct?)

Again, thanks for your patience.

0 Upvotes
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @LK638,

If a customer select opts out of all it does include the 1 to 1 emails, because will opt out of all subscriptions in your account, including "One to One".

Emails will not be delivered to contacts who have opted out of that subscription type, and yes would affect sequences since they are "one to one" emails.

This article here explains more about it.

Kindly,

Pam

0 Upvotes
LK638
Contributor

@PamCotton 

Thanks - I understand subscription types.

My question regarding opt outs & connected inbox is still unanswered. 

If a contact is opted out of ALL subscription types, which inclues a 1 to 1 option, will he still receive emails from connected inboxes?

0 Upvotes
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @LK638,

Updating my last reply **

When a contact opts out of all subscription types (including 1:1 emails) you'll still be able to send them an email. You will see a message pop up that says "example@hubspot.com has opted out of all communication. If you still need to email this contact, you need to give a one-time legal basis for communicating with them."

This allows for you to still send those 1:1 emails

Kindly,

Pam

0 Upvotes
LK638
Contributor

@PamCotton I think there is a misunderstanding here, not sure where. However, one of our sales reps sent an email to a contact who had opted out of all and he received the email. 

Thank you for your time helping me drill down into these issues.

0 Upvotes
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @LK638,

Apologize for the misunderstanding, I also did a test and confirmed that when a contact opts out of all subscription types (including 1:1 emails) you'll still be able to send them an email.

The only different thing is that when you navigate to the contact record and go to email them, you'll see a message pop up that says "example@hubspot.com has opted out of all communication. If you still need to email this contact, you need to give a one-time legal basis for communicating with them."

So in order to send them an email again, you will need to update their subscription (more information here). This allows for you to still send those 1:1 emails! I hope this helps to clarify!

Kindly,

Pam