Dashboards & Reporting

jfausd
Participant | Partner
Participant | Partner

Sales Dashboard Visits - Recent Activity is showing a contact from a different company

SOLVE

Hi all

We are running into an issue in the Visits section from the Sales Dashboard. Let me give you more details:

When you click in the preview button for a company in the list, it displays a popup with some information about it. In that popup, at the bottom you'll find a Recent Activity section. For some reason, that section is showing a contact that doesn't belong to the selected company. So, if we select a company A and scroll down, it's showing contacts from another company (let's say, B) in the Recent Activity section.

You'll find below a screenshot with an example (I removed part of the the company name and the contact name for security reasons).

hubspot.png

Thanks in advance,

Regards

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
MayPascaud
Solution
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Sales Dashboard Visits - Recent Activity is showing a contact from a different company

SOLVE

@jfausd I apologize for the delay, I was actually away on vacation. @mwhite051thanks for your help in investigating this!

As it turns out, this issue was that you were looking at a Company in the Prospects tool. The Prospects tool is very different from actual Company records, though you can easily add a company that exists in your prospects view to your Companies dashboard.

In sum, HubSpot Prospects is able to collect visits to your website by various companies by  looking up the IP address of the computer from which they are visiting, via our tracking code. HubSpot can then look up that IP address to see if it matches the IP addresses of a known company. If it is able to match an IP, the company will appear in your Prospects view. It will also display individual visits under "Recent Activity".

You were actually referring to a contact whose email address did not match the propsect company in question, but who was appearing under its recent activity. The reason for this is simply that this contact was accessing your website while on that company's IP network. Because they were also known to your CRM in the past, and had been cookied by HubSpot, we were able to recognize that specific contact and display their name under the company's recent activity in Prospects.

In sum, the Recent Activity section in Prospects is based entirely upon individual visits made via that company's IP address - email domains are not taken into account in the Prospects tool, though they are in Contacts and Companies. 

Let me know if that makes sense!

May

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10
mwhite051
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @jfausd, does the contact in this example have an associated company in his record? Does his email domain match the domain for the company listed in the pop-up?

jfausd
Participant | Partner
Participant | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @mwhite051!

Thanks in advance for your help. The contact does have a Company and the domain from his email is different from the company listed. Please, let me know if you need help on something else..

Regards

mwhite051
Top Contributor

SOLVE

contact and company information is synced based on email address and company domain, so I expect that's the issue. You can probably still manually associate the contact with the correct company by following the instructions here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/companies/how-can-i-manually-associate-my-contact...

0 Upvotes
jfausd
Participant | Partner
Participant | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @mwhite051

Thanks for your help! I don't think that's the case, since the domain is different from the company name that it's associating. Please, let me know if that makes sense.

Regards

0 Upvotes
mwhite051
Top Contributor

SOLVE

hrm im not exactly sure... 

does this mean that the contact works at CompanyA, but the email address is contact@companyB.com? 

but when you click to preview Company B, it is displaying the contact's activity? 

0 Upvotes
jfausd
Participant | Partner
Participant | Partner

SOLVE

hi @mwhite051!

Thanks in advance for your help. The contact belongs to CompanyA, and on his email he has CompanyA. But when we open the Recent Activity from CompanyB, the contact appears there.

I hope that's more clear.

Regards

0 Upvotes
MayPascaud
Solution
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

SOLVE

@jfausd I apologize for the delay, I was actually away on vacation. @mwhite051thanks for your help in investigating this!

As it turns out, this issue was that you were looking at a Company in the Prospects tool. The Prospects tool is very different from actual Company records, though you can easily add a company that exists in your prospects view to your Companies dashboard.

In sum, HubSpot Prospects is able to collect visits to your website by various companies by  looking up the IP address of the computer from which they are visiting, via our tracking code. HubSpot can then look up that IP address to see if it matches the IP addresses of a known company. If it is able to match an IP, the company will appear in your Prospects view. It will also display individual visits under "Recent Activity".

You were actually referring to a contact whose email address did not match the propsect company in question, but who was appearing under its recent activity. The reason for this is simply that this contact was accessing your website while on that company's IP network. Because they were also known to your CRM in the past, and had been cookied by HubSpot, we were able to recognize that specific contact and display their name under the company's recent activity in Prospects.

In sum, the Recent Activity section in Prospects is based entirely upon individual visits made via that company's IP address - email domains are not taken into account in the Prospects tool, though they are in Contacts and Companies. 

Let me know if that makes sense!

May

jfausd
Participant | Partner
Participant | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @MayPascaud

Thanks a LOT for your response. That makes a lot of sense :).

Regards

MayPascaud
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

SOLVE

Hi @jfausd, could you send me a PM with links to the contact and company in question? Also, is this the only record showing this behavior?

Thanks in advance,

May

0 Upvotes
jfausd
Participant | Partner
Participant | Partner

SOLVE

Just sent you a PM with that info. Thanks!

0 Upvotes