SEO

CallMeLiv
Contributor

Etsy and similar sites

Say I open an Etsy shop can I "influence" the SEO of my shop page (on search engines)? I'm guessing I could make sure that I have key words in my shop and item descriptions but since I didn't make the website, I'm geussing no? How does SEO work on sites like that?

0 Upvotes
3 Replies 3
Jnix284
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

Etsy and similar sites

@CallMeLiv it's been about 12 years since I opened my etsy shop and things were very different back then, there were so few sellers and everyone had a different niche/product that there was very little overlap - so the SEO was built-in to your listing, if someone searched for "wool dryer balls" there was only one shop who sold them (that was my second purchase on etsy long before I even had a shop).

I really think the same logic applies though - think about your ideal customer, what are they going to search for and how can you optimize for that.

Neil Patel is one of my go to blogs for SEO and I found this article 10 Tips for Etsy SEO that I think could be super helpful in standing out from the crowd.

Where you have the opportunity to win with SEO is likely outside of Etsy and on your own site or blog. The long tail keyword ranking opportunities are much broader and you can control the call to action to direct them to your shop, product, etc. accordingly, bypassing the other shops with similar products.

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

CallMeLiv
Contributor

Etsy and similar sites

Thank you SO much for all of this info!

MiaSrebrnjak
Community Manager
Community Manager

Etsy and similar sites

Hi @CallMeLiv,

that's a great question! 

Etsy's knowledge base article on SEO mentions that you should research the keywords you want to use and choose tags  for your item listings carefully based on your research. Additionally, the right name for your shop and your shop's sections can also help boost SEO. Check out the article here, it has some great advice!

I'll also go ahead and tag a couple of subject matter experts to see if they have any advice: 

hi @DavidDennison@JonPayne@Sam62, do you have any tips for @CallMeLiv? Thank you!

Cheers
Mia, Community Team  

Wusstest du, dass es auch eine DACH-Community gibt?
Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, indem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by
changing your language settings

0 Upvotes