Data Management & Reporting

mbarba
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

When have you seen force or friction impact a company’s ability to grow?

Lesson 2_Applying RevOps to the Flywheel.png

Revenue Operations, or RevOps, is integral to taking an inbound approach to business and speeding up your company’s flywheel.

Why are those important? Let’s define terms first:

• Inbound is a method of attracting, engaging, and delighting people to grow a business that provides value and builds trust.
  • The flywheel is a model adapted by HubSpot to explain the momentum you gain when you align your entire organization around delivering a remarkable customer experience. Rather than thinking of your business as a funnel, with leads coming in at the top and customers coming out at the bottom, think about your business as a circle — as a flywheel.

When thinking about how to spin your company’s flywheel faster with RevOps, there are two important concepts to keep in mind:

1. Force is what allows your business to scale by spinning your flywheel faster and faster. This looks like when your customer has a great customer experience and tells their friends and colleagues about it.
  2. Friction is what grinds your business to a halt, if not addressed. This is when your company provides your customers with a bad customer experience, and they also tell their friends and colleagues about it. In turn, this slows down your flywheel.

Here’s what I’d love to hear:

1. Share a time when you had an amazing customer experience and you saw a company grow faster and faster because of their wonderful customer care.
  2. Share a time when you had a poor customer experience (please don’t name names or organizations) and how you saw that type of poor care affect their business.
90 Antworten
stemkent
Teilnehmer/-in

experienced great customer experience with online retailier. Received damaged goods and replied via "contact us" function and they replied within 1 hour offering to send new product expedited no shipping cost incurred and a gift card in an effort to remeddy inconvenience. 

0 Upvotes
RonFigueroa
Mitglied

Hello Everyone,

Amazing Customer Experience:

This organization needed to be updated with its website design and helped with its image to acquire investors for a campaign they were doing. As soon as we revised and launched the new image, we saw investors and new members join the organization. We also fulfilled the initial funding needed to stay afloat.  

Poor Customer Experience

When a business sells you a service, and then you receive something else, it becomes stressful and a waste of time. I WAS SHUT DOWN AND IGNORED when I wanted to share and complain about my experience. Since this was in the tourism sector, I went to the minister and then headed to the police department to file the complaint. When a business is not accountable, something shady is occurring, so legal action is advised as long as you can provide proof and a detailed report. 

Saludos,

Ron

0 Upvotes
Deepak_P
Mitglied

Amazing Customer Experience:
Recently, I had an amazing customer experience with an online retailer. I had ordered a product, but it was delivered to the wrong address. When I contacted their customer service, they were quick to respond and apologized for the inconvenience. They immediately shipped a new product to me and even offered a discount for my next purchase. Their customer service was friendly, efficient, and went above and beyond to make things right. I was so impressed with their service that I became a loyal customer and recommended them to my friends and family. This type of excellent customer care can lead to increased sales, customer retention, and positive word-of-mouth marketing.

Poor Customer Experience:
On the other hand, I had a poor customer experience with a restaurant. I had made a reservation for a special occasion, but when I arrived, they had given away our table to another party. The staff was unapologetic and unhelpful, and we were forced to wait for a long time for another table. The food was also disappointing, and the overall experience left a bad taste in my mouth. I was so disappointed that I never returned to that restaurant and even warned my friends and family to avoid it. This type of poor care can lead to negative reviews, decreased sales, and a damaged reputation.

0 Upvotes
RGaro
Mitglied

1. Share a time when you had an amazing customer experience and you saw a company grow faster and faster because of their wonderful customer care.

When I worked at a hotel in Melbourne which went aboec and beyond for all transactions during the business process. It organically grew to be the best hotel in Australia and awarded Forbes 5 star international recognition. 

1. Share a time when you had a poor customer experience (please don’t name names or organizations) and how you saw that type of poor care affect their business.

Word of mouth for this company meant a drastic downturn in business revenue as customers were faced with a great product but very poor execusion of interactions with customers. Rude and unmotivated ownership meant a flow on of poor google reviews.

0 Upvotes
JDahmes
Mitglied

Amazing - I was on a vacation in another city and at a store. They didn't have what I wanted but they took time to find another local business that probably would (and did). The employee of this shop was so nice and helpful that I gave them a positive review online AND recommended them to another tourist I ran into that week. 

Not Great - was trying to make an auto-body/service appointment. sat on hold for nearly 10 minutes and then was asked to leave a voicemail. Chose to call back and try again... 10 more minutes of hold and then asked to leave a voicemail so this time I did. 2 days passed and no call from the shop to schedule an appointment. Left a negative review and chose a different shop who answered my call. 

stemkent
Teilnehmer/-in

yea that is really frustrating. I am in a busniess where onliine reviews can make an impact (as are countless others). Question: After you left the review, did the body shop that kept you on hold contact/reach out to you? And has this happened to you in other scenarios (review left [positive or negative] and the reviewed business reached out to you?

KBystrom
Mitglied

Was on a team that was trialing AI dialers. 

1. Very engaging AE and Customer Success Rep both invested in our ability to see results. Even helped by looking up prospects Direct Lines. Got to know each team member individually. 

2. AE wasn't engaging. The whole team couldn't start the trial on the same day. The product was glitchy and didn't have as smooth UX. We were actually more excited about this product and it was significantly more affordable than what we went with. 

0 Upvotes
nefer
Teilnehmer/-in

• Share a time when you had an amazing customer experience and you saw a company grow faster and faster because of their wonderful customer care.
  • I used a chatbot Saas product that was remarkably more intuitive to use than the ones I've tried in the past. This led me to share with others in my groups, share use cases, and generated community discussions around the chatbot.

• Share a time when you had a poor customer experience (please don’t name names or organizations) and how you saw that type of poor care affect their business.
  • With a self-serve Saas product, you're bound to encounter issues. I've encountered Saas companies with slow customer support response and poor documentation. I've seen this reflect poorly in their growth and community engagement versus similar products. 
0 Upvotes
JGreer
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

1.  I worked for a beauty/ body care startup that required all sales representatives to prioritize the customer by greeting them at the entrance, asking probing questions, and being their personalized guide throughout their shopping experience; Providing this experience consistently led to over 20% growth in customer satisfaction ratings and retention within a few months.
  2. I also had experiences where I have heard management arguing with or in front of customers or sales personal ignoring the customer until the customer speaks to them.
0 Upvotes
AGalanao
Mitglied

Force impact when the customers have the interest to the services/products that you offer in order to solve their problems. Force impact should delight the people who are working and the customers are happy to the solutions you presented. Friction impact is the slowing down the system of your business. It means that it doesn’t work with the customers and have  a negative impact to them.

0 Upvotes
Tfolaranmi
Mitglied

1)Share a time when you had an amazing customer experience and you saw a company grow faster and faster because of their wonderful customer care.

Sometimes, last year, since I am into sales of Tigernuts milk, a customer ordered  for it. There was a curfew around where the customer is based, meanwhile, logistics company I contacted to do the delivery declined to go. As a last resort, I had to go all out myself to do the delivery.

You need to see the amazement and delight om my customer on seeing that I actually did the delivery myself. Aside paying for the juice, he paid for my transportation fare. By so doing I gained my customer's confidence and Trust.

2) Share a time when you had a poor customer experience.

There was a time I had issue with my bank over multiple charges deduction  so I contacted my bank's customer service to inquire what the issues are. Aside for the long pickup time, the supposed customer service agent was unprofessional, there were background noises, she also had poor understanding of issues around the bank operations. This friction if not addressed could halt the bank's growth overtime.

0 Upvotes
SAnanth
Mitglied

1. I had an amazing customer experience when working in real estate and I had recieved a call from a parent concerned about the property, and how I handled it was that I suggested a tour of the property to and gave an exclusive 15 minute time period of showing them the model apartment and let them survey the place fully, and it led to a signed lease. I think it was because I provided a lot of information about the property during the tour, and answered all their questions, without hesitation, and provided them company merch as part of being hospitable. 

2. There was a time where I was working a customer service call with a streaming service, and I felt that the customer was verbally brutal enough to berate me for a whole 5 minutes without letting me get a word in, and when I was able to provide a solution, example: I'm so sorry that you are experiencing this now, and I understand that you want to return the player, and discontinue your account, but we do have this deal where if you use our player for a month, we provide you a 20 dollar gift card due to player having channels for commercials, and you initially recieved this player for free, and you earn money. Even with discussing this, they still didn't want it, and was really angry and didn't really describe what the actual problem was, so I handled returning the product, and yes it meant losing a long-term client, but it happens. 

0 Upvotes
JMurillo81
Mitglied

1. Share a time when you had an amazing customer experience and you saw a company grow faster and faster because of their wonderful customer care.
    1. When purchasing musical equipment from a specific online retailer, the customer agents were so knowledgeable and “non-salesy” that it made the experience pleasant. This same company grew over the years to become the #1 online musical equipment retailer.
  2. Share a time when you had a poor customer experience (please don’t name names or organizations) and how you saw that type of poor care affect their business.
    1. Buying musical equipment from a specific store front big-box company became less of an enjoyable experience because it became apparent that the sales people were not concerned with the customers as musicians but more just as consumers. That company is now on the brink of bankruptcy.
DougS
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

Example of force, where I miss a payment to a credit card bank. The next billing period, the bank hits me with a penalty late fee on the balance due. They curb late payments, and cover the cost of slower cash flow.

Example of good friction is making me phone the bank when I seek an adjustment of the late fee, but letting me clear the penalty from using the phone tree menu and not requiring me to actually speak with a bank representative. The bank can confirm my contact profile information, and offer addtional services like card protection or higher credit limit, or a different bill date. 

Example of bad friction is making me phone the bank, fight the gated menu on the phone tree, talk to a live agent who can't make the adjustment, request to speak to the agent's supervisor. Uggh.

0 Upvotes
SLewis64
Mitglied

Positive customer experience when my cell phone company was able to remove innacurate charges at the first point of contact, not requiring me to "negotiate" up the chain.  The Force was the level of authority granted to the Cx representative.

Negative experience however, was with the same company not being able to actually solve the issue I was having, and requiring me to call in each month to have the charges removed. The friction was not having a clear understanding of who had the knowledge to correct the problem outright or not having the expertise available in real-time to allow consistency of communication.

SuzC
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

From author Val McDermid today on twitter:  Great example of friction

"So, I needed to replace a credit card and opted to apply for @marksandspencer's card. Filled in the forms, then got an email asking me to call them. One question - 'We can see your income and your age; are you thinking of retiring soon?'Am I the only one who finds that insulting?"

0 Upvotes
TTanviTanwar
Mitglied

1.I used to respond to customer inquiries on how to utilise the software products in a prior role as a sales representative for a software company. In one case, a mid-sized company purchased the programme, but the staff members of the organisation reported discontent and dissatisfaction with the software. I knew that this client could use the programme, therefore I didn't want to lose them.To help with queries about how to set up and utilise the programme, I organised a training session in response. I was able to address technical inquiries from staff members and show them how the teams might use the programme to work more effectively because of my in-depth product expertise. The client successfully installed the software thanks to the extra time and effort I put in, and the client went on to suggest my services to other companies in its sector. My sales rose by 30% in that quarter as a result of this.

2.Unfortunately, bad customer service is all too typical these days. Recently, I was in a restaurant with a really irritable waitress. She was hurried and it was clear from her behaviour that she didn't want to be there. It's vitally crucial to put those emotions behind you when working in circumstances where the needs of the client come first.

camrobe19
Mitglied

1. Every time I go to this healthy market I have a great experience, I can not only find products but also can eat there if i am hungry, they think on several types of diets and tastes since you can find a lot of options according to  your preferences. At this place they don´t necessary need to speak to you because they communicate through the service provided, the signaling which allow you to locate easily what you are looking for and they have such delicious products thought for people who cares about their food habits but you can also find options for those who want to get something not so healthy. I´ve seen how they have grown in strores and sized due to the variety and service they provide. 

2. Unfortunately I´ve seen that some businesses affect their service as they become bigger and that´s what happened to me at a beauty salon where I started to feel a change on the attention at the place, response times when I requested an appointment or when I arrived for my appointment, also they stopped serving drinks or only when they remembered about it and of course this affected at the end so they had to close for a period of time in order to re arrange I believe. 

0 Upvotes
TheFocusedPro
Mitglied

1. I've seen a coffee shop expand locations just before the pandemic and survive without sacrificing service. And now opening additional locations. The service level was never underperforming even through additional safety precautions and off and on closures. They provided innovate ways to serve customers. The service level of the staff was always up to par if not exceeded. Employees and customer safety was respected. 

2. Unfortunately during the pandemic, I've seen an organization struggle by staff being over extended taking on more of workload and shifting role responsibilities. Coming out of the pandemic has made things at the company even more challenging as "back to normal" duties are back along with the newly acquired "pandemic duties." Expectations and not having enough infrastructure are causing turnover and resentment. 

0 Upvotes
splazas20
Teilnehmer/-in

I havent seen comments in spanish, so let me be the first one

En Colombia hay un banco llamado Bancolombia. Desde hace años atrás crearon una sección de clientes VIP que siempre te contestan rápido el teléfono o te dan atención preferencial. No estoy seguro si hoy en día funcione igual, pero me dieron tasas preferenciales de creditos y tiempos cortos de aprobación hace unos años. Se sintió muy bien. Hoy recomiendo este banco para todo.

En mi país, constantemente encuentro procesos sin fin para adquirir servicios. En mi trabajo incluso, luego de estar aprendiendo del Flywheel, estoy encontrando muchas fricciones que no había visto. Algunas pueden ser tan simples como pedir la contraseña cada vez que inician sesión, en vez de conectarnos al directorio activo.

SuzC
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

☝️password friction especially with 2 factor authorisation when you can’t copy and paste the code

I’m also suffering the friction of recommendation fatigue
0 Upvotes