Data Management & Reporting

jspencerdav
Contributor | Diamond Partner
Contributor | Diamond Partner

How do you document workflows?

Workflows is arguably the most powerful feature in HubSpot. Regardless of skill level in HubSpot, users create workflows to automate valuable work.

However, without good documentation, workflows quickly become a black hole of confusion and wasted time trying to figure out why something is happening (or not!). 

The solution? Documentation.

How do you document workflows? Here are the core things I believe every workflow needs documented (what would you add?) :

• Link to workflow
  • Change control notes (if workflow is affected by external changes)
  • Triggers
  • Workflow settings / goal criteria
  • Business goal / objective solved by workflow
  • Expected outcome(s)
  • Properties set
  • Dependencies with other workflows
  • Internal email / tasks sent
  • Core logic defined by each workflow step

And, just as important - how do you keep your workflow documentation up to date?

22 Replies 22
HBirtcher
Participant

When I took over as Admin for our company this was the first thing I did! We went from having 10 SuperAdmins to only having myself as the CRM Administrator , our external marketing team and a backup in our IT department. I can then give rights as needed to edit workflows if I am out, but otherwise it is just me and our outside marketing team. It still gets a little tricky as I have a system I use and the marketing team has a different process, but it is a HUGE step in the right directly. 

MiaSrebrnjak
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great tips, thank you for sharing @jspencerdav!

Wusstest du, dass es auch eine DACH-Community gibt?
Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, indem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by
changing your language settings