📝 Resources

maggiebutler
by: HubSpot Moderator
HubSpot Moderator

[New Q&A from Panelists] The Road to RevOps: HubSpot's Live Discussion Series

What a great event! We had so many questions for our "How to Future Proof a Tech Stack" and "How to Design a World-Class RevOps Team" live discussions. I've posted them below, and asked the panelists to weigh in. 

From our Tech Stack session (we covered some live, but we'll cover them again here):

1. Brandon, Recently I was in a virtual meeting and one remark that came from that meeting was "RevOps" is the most overhyped word in sales. What do you think?
  2. Dimas, in this climate, do you find there’s an ideal timeline to test and assess new software?
  3. Matt -- We have a team that has been using an outdated platform for the last 15 years for sales. All functions can be replaced by Hubspot sales which we have invested in. We have a few members using Hubspot, but are having a hard time driving adoption with our tenured team. Do you have recommendations around getting these guys on board? -- So the question is, do you have any best practices for driving sales tech adoption?
  4. Scott, in your experience at what point do small marketing teams need to create a marketing operations position?
  5. Nancy,  I’ve noticed a lot of these technologies want to lock you in to contract prior to getting full use of the product. Can you elaborate on your timelines for these considerations?
  6. Scott, what are some of the trends and opportunities for partners in the HubSpot ecosystem in 2021? Challenges customers are having that they are trying to solve with solutions and integrations into the CRM.
  7. Nancy -- I'm starting to question data security using some of these "automation" tools.  Maybe I'm paranoid, but if I introduce a new piece of saas to automate my sales process, how do I know my leads / prospects are not being collected and sold on the "back-end"?
  8. For Matt - I'm curious about the use cases for not using Salesforce Leads and using Contacts only. What are the best use cases for doing so, what would a workflow look like, and what are the advantanges v. disadvantages?
  9. For all - Interested to hear from each panelist as to whether they believe that too many of the technologies are developed for a much larger scale that what is needed for much smaller businesses and/or businesses that do not need 1000s of leads but have a much more limited target number.
?
  10. Dimas, how to measure friction would also be interesting to hear about...
  11. Brandon - Is there a whitepaper or research paper on the topic Brandon mentioned about the inverse relationship between number of calls/activities and closed/won deals?
  12. Matt, what’s an example of a reasonable leading indicator for Sales not working?
  13. Dimas, we've talked alot about how a RevOps leader can help enable the sales team. Could you touch on how this position can help optimize the marketing and operations teams for revenue performance?
  14. Scott, how do you find the right rev ops person for your org?
  15. Question for Matt: How do you justify the (very steep!) $$$ premium of a tech stack with Outreach+CRM+ZoomInfo+SalesNav vs. Apollo+CRM?
  16. Brandon, Who should the "rev ops" person report to?  CEO, COO, other?
  17. Brandon, As a RevOps role, what are ways to look ahead and get ahead of the pain, as Brandon said?

From our Design a Team session:

1. Jeff - How should small companies (say less than 50 total employees) approach a RevOps strategy? Can we hear more about how RevOps can be introduced in a startup? Resources for those of us looking into it?
  2. Isabelle, Alison - how do you measure friction? What are some KPIs?
  3. Jon, Alison  - I'm drinking from the firehose hardcore... having trouble choosing between the larger undertakings versus taking a whack a mole approach to the things I know I can get done quickly. What are the priorities in RevOps that need to be addressed first and foremost?
  4. Lyndee, Alison - I'm taking a new position in RevOps, previously being a Customer Experience Manager I'm very familiar with aligning marketing and sales, but any advice on bringing operations into the fold?
  5. Jeff -- What should small teams with only 1-2 people dedicated to Ops and Analytics focus on as a priority?
  6. All - What are the specific tools in your tech stack?
  7. Jon - What Does a Day in the Life of a Marketing Ops Look Like?
  8. Lyndee, Alison - Do you feel having a RevOps team in place dictates what skills are prioritized/deprioritized in a sales team (or any team)? Or does the sales team dictate the build of a RevOps team? The chicken or the egg!?
  9. Isabelle - Does the effectiveness of trying to increase revenue by adding more salespeople plateau after a certain point unless ops is introduced?
  10. Jeff , Alison - Do you feel having a RevOps team in place dictates what skills are prioritized/deprioritized in a sales team? Or does the sales team dictate the build of a RevOps team? The chicken or the egg!?
  11. All - In yesterday’s Road to RevOps panel, one remark that came from that meeting was "RevOps" is the most overhyped word in sales. So I want to know how each of the panelists react and respond to that comment?
  12. Jon, Alison - One thing we are facing as we are a growing startup is org structure to align the entire CX. Especially between Sales and then the handoff to our Onboarding and Retention teams...What is a normal org structure for this?
  13. Jeff - What data goes into a comprehensive customer experience score? How do you collect and factor qualitative elements, especially into a format that can be effectively heard from team members not involved in that relationship?
  14.  Jon, Alison - I work at a Solutions Partner and while I don’t currently have the title, I manage quite a few of the Rev Ops of our org. However I also oversee all the HubSpot projects for clients (sales, marketing, service, and CMS). If I was to take on a Rev Ops title, how do you feel that would come across when working with end customers? Is there any worry that it may come across negatively? Any thoughts?
  15. Jeff - Do you feel having a RevOps team in place dictates what skills are prioritized/deprioritized in a sales team? Or does the sales team dictate the build of a RevOps team? The chicken or the egg!?
  16. All - where is core rev ops reporting into within your orgs?
  17. All - For small businesses that may not be able to have a home base rev ops team, what are your thoughts on using a external rev ops team?
  18. All - What are the top tools for your revops function?

What other questions do you have for the panelists? Comment below and @ tag a panelist for their answer.

More Details: This year, how you decide to organized your internal operations matters more than ever. When you feel friction internally, your customers feel it even worse. In order to grow better as you grow bigger, your business needs to run better: you need to scale your operating system in a way that’s friction-free for both your company and your customers.

That's why we're hosted this event on RevOps. RevOps is the mindset, practice, and manifestation of unifying your go-to-market operations, creating the best customer experience from the inside-out.  Watch it on-demand now, and follow up with the panelists in this thread in our Community (below)!

Watch On Demand

10 Comments
Krystina
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner

This is so exciting, Maggie! Already registered and can't wait! 

In addition to the bulleted items you mentioned, I'd love to learn HubSpot's thoughts on:

Who owns RevOps within an organization?
What are some of the biggest barriers to adopting RevOps?
What are the philosophies AND the tactics? Most RevOps resources are still very philosophical/conceptual given this new frontier. 
How do you measure the success of a RevOps approach?

Cheers, 

maggiebutler
HubSpot Moderator
HubSpot Moderator

@maggiebutler wrote:

Join HubSpot and other RevOps leaders for a two-day virtual discussion series on how to adopt the best practices of RevOps and transform your business operations in 2021. Scroll down to see the content, give your feedback and ask questions we can cover during the session.

Details: This year, how you decide to organized your internal operations matters more than ever. When you feel friction internally, your customers feel it even worse. In order to grow better as you grow bigger, your business needs to run better: you need to scale your operating system in a way that’s friction-free for both your company and your customers.

That's why we're hosting this virtual event on RevOps. RevOps is the mindset, practice, and manifestation of unifying your go-to-market operations, creating the best customer experience from the inside-out. 

We've got some great speakers and content lined up for you, and we want to make sure our content is helpful, actionable advice for folks like you thinking about RevOps. What questions do you have about RevOps, or what topics would you like to hear about from our speakers? Here's what we've planned below - what are we missing?

• Setting up your system of record

• Features for a great platform connection 

• Fluid tech stack connectivity

• Centralized vs decentralized teams

• GTM operations alignment

• Solving for the customer in RevOps

@Krystina You got it! If others like these topics, please give a 'thumbs up' on the post or add your other thoughts below!

GrizzlyForceAB

I feel I should book a 15 minute window with you as I just want to see if this is the right direction for Us to head in and a technology that would be of use to Myself and the team. .. . . www.grizzlyforce.ca

JPullan
Contributor

Sounds great.

I'd love to cover what small teams with only 1-2 people dedicated to Ops and Analytics should focus on as a priority

maggiebutler
HubSpot Moderator
HubSpot Moderator

@Krystina wrote:

This is so exciting, Maggie! Already registered and can't wait! 

In addition to the bulleted items you mentioned, I'd love to learn HubSpot's thoughts on:

Who owns RevOps within an organization?
What are some of the biggest barriers to adopting RevOps?
What are the philosophies AND the tactics? Most RevOps resources are still very philosophical/conceptual given this new frontier. 
How do you measure the success of a RevOps approach?

Cheers, 

@Krystina All of these questions are on the list for tomorrow and Friday. Thank you for asking and we'll definitely follow up on these!

maggiebutler
HubSpot Moderator
HubSpot Moderator

@JPullan wrote:

Sounds great.

I'd love to cover what small teams with only 1-2 people dedicated to Ops and Analytics should focus on as a priority

@JPullan I put this as a question for Q&A - hope to see you there on Friday!

eLaunchers
Participant | Elite Partner
Participant | Elite Partner

Thanks for doing this. Just signed up for the event.

dshirley
Participant

I wanted to follow up with a big shoutout to all the panelists who shared their insights and expertise as well as the moderators Alison Elworthy and Scott Brinker for leading a great conversation. Both sessions were amazing! 🏆

JenBergren
Guide

This was a great 2-part event, worth waking up at 6am to watch today's session live!
I think any of the presenters who were on the West Coast should get some bonus applause, too 🙂

Thanks for creating RevOps events!

Jen Bergren

Client Services Manager

Remotish - A HubSpot RevOps Agency

AElworthy
Such a fantastic event, replying to a few of the questions we didn't get to below. Thanks, all!

I'm drinking from the firehose hardcore... having trouble choosing between the larger undertakings versus taking a whack a mole approach to the things I know I can get done quickly. What are the priorities in RevOps that need to be addressed first and foremost? Answer: First and foremost, I would think about alignment. I would take on initiatives that will help get your GTM teams aligned first, that could be through processes, your operating system, systems or data for example. You want to build RevOps from a foundation of alignment. 

I'm taking a new position in RevOps, previously being a Customer Experience Manager I'm very familiar with aligning marketing and sales, but any advice on bringing operations into the fold? Answer: Operatins is the "thing" that will help you get aligned across functions (sales, marketing and CS). Operations, specifically systems, process, enablement, operating system should help drive the strategy and direction for your GTM teams. 

Do you feel having a RevOps team in place dictates what skills are prioritized/deprioritized in a sales team (or any team)? Or does the sales team dictate the build of a RevOps team? The chicken or the egg!? Answer: I think it's a partnership and should be discussed transparently, so no necessarily a chicken or an egg scenario. Sales and Operations leadership should be aligned on what their responsibilities are to ensure nothing falls through the cracks. At HubSpot we talk a lot about having clear swimlanes across the teams. It's an important step in the process.

One thing we are facing as we are a growing startup is org structure to align the entire CX. Especially between Sales and then the handoff to our Onboarding and Retention teams...What is a normal org structure for this? Answer: There's no right or wrong way to do this. A lot depends on the stage of your business, the challenges you are tackling and the CX for your business. At HubSpot, this has evolved over time and I suspect will contine to evolve. I would start by mapping out the ideal CX and then build your org. around that as best you can. Your internal organization has a direct impact on the external CX!

I work at a Solutions Partner and while I don’t currently have the title, I manage quite a few of the Rev Ops of our org. However I also oversee all the HubSpot projects for clients (sales, marketing, service, and CMS). If I was to take on a Rev Ops title, how do you feel that would come across when working with end customers? Is there any worry that it may come across negatively? Any thoughts? Answer: I hope not! RevOps plays an important role within the organization and you could argue an even more important role for your customers. If anything it shows you are investing and solving for the CX!