[New Q&A from Panelists] The Road to RevOps: HubSpot's Live Discussion Series
Nov 18, 2020 8:13 AM - edited Dec 8, 2020 10:50 AM
What a great event! We had so many questions for our "How to Future Proof a Tech Stack" and "How to Design a World-Class RevOps Team" live discussions. I've posted them below, and asked the panelists to weigh in.
From our Tech Stack session (we covered some live, but we'll cover them again here):
- Brandon, Recently I was in a virtual meeting and one remark that came from that meeting was "RevOps" is the most overhyped word in sales. What do you think?
- Dimas, in this climate, do you find there’s an ideal timeline to test and assess new software?
- Matt -- We have a team that has been using an outdated platform for the last 15 years for sales. All functions can be replaced by Hubspot sales which we have invested in. We have a few members using Hubspot, but are having a hard time driving adoption with our tenured team. Do you have recommendations around getting these guys on board? -- So the question is, do you have any best practices for driving sales tech adoption?
- Scott, in your experience at what point do small marketing teams need to create a marketing operations position?
- Nancy, I’ve noticed a lot of these technologies want to lock you in to contract prior to getting full use of the product. Can you elaborate on your timelines for these considerations?
- Scott, what are some of the trends and opportunities for partners in the HubSpot ecosystem in 2021? Challenges customers are having that they are trying to solve with solutions and integrations into the CRM.
- Nancy -- I'm starting to question data security using some of these "automation" tools. Maybe I'm paranoid, but if I introduce a new piece of saas to automate my sales process, how do I know my leads / prospects are not being collected and sold on the "back-end"?
- For Matt - I'm curious about the use cases for not using Salesforce Leads and using Contacts only. What are the best use cases for doing so, what would a workflow look like, and what are the advantanges v. disadvantages?
- For all - Interested to hear from each panelist as to whether they believe that too many of the technologies are developed for a much larger scale that what is needed for much smaller businesses and/or businesses that do not need 1000s of leads but have a much more limited target number. ?
- Dimas, how to measure friction would also be interesting to hear about...
- Brandon - Is there a whitepaper or research paper on the topic Brandon mentioned about the inverse relationship between number of calls/activities and closed/won deals?
- Matt, what’s an example of a reasonable leading indicator for Sales not working?
- Dimas, we've talked alot about how a RevOps leader can help enable the sales team. Could you touch on how this position can help optimize the marketing and operations teams for revenue performance?
- Scott, how do you find the right rev ops person for your org?
- Question for Matt: How do you justify the (very steep!) $$$ premium of a tech stack with Outreach+CRM+ZoomInfo+SalesNav vs. Apollo+CRM?
- Brandon, Who should the "rev ops" person report to? CEO, COO, other?
- Brandon, As a RevOps role, what are ways to look ahead and get ahead of the pain, as Brandon said?
From our Design a Team session:
- Jeff - How should small companies (say less than 50 total employees) approach a RevOps strategy? Can we hear more about how RevOps can be introduced in a startup? Resources for those of us looking into it?
- Isabelle, Alison - how do you measure friction? What are some KPIs?
- Jon, Alison - I'm drinking from the firehose hardcore... having trouble choosing between the larger undertakings versus taking a whack a mole approach to the things I know I can get done quickly. What are the priorities in RevOps that need to be addressed first and foremost?
- Lyndee, Alison - I'm taking a new position in RevOps, previously being a Customer Experience Manager I'm very familiar with aligning marketing and sales, but any advice on bringing operations into the fold?
- Jeff -- What should small teams with only 1-2 people dedicated to Ops and Analytics focus on as a priority?
- All - What are the specific tools in your tech stack?
- Jon - What Does a Day in the Life of a Marketing Ops Look Like?
- Lyndee, Alison - Do you feel having a RevOps team in place dictates what skills are prioritized/deprioritized in a sales team (or any team)? Or does the sales team dictate the build of a RevOps team? The chicken or the egg!?
- Isabelle - Does the effectiveness of trying to increase revenue by adding more salespeople plateau after a certain point unless ops is introduced?
- Jeff , Alison - Do you feel having a RevOps team in place dictates what skills are prioritized/deprioritized in a sales team? Or does the sales team dictate the build of a RevOps team? The chicken or the egg!?
- All - In yesterday’s Road to RevOps panel, one remark that came from that meeting was "RevOps" is the most overhyped word in sales. So I want to know how each of the panelists react and respond to that comment?
- Jon, Alison - One thing we are facing as we are a growing startup is org structure to align the entire CX. Especially between Sales and then the handoff to our Onboarding and Retention teams...What is a normal org structure for this?
- Jeff - What data goes into a comprehensive customer experience score? How do you collect and factor qualitative elements, especially into a format that can be effectively heard from team members not involved in that relationship?
- Jon, Alison - I work at a Solutions Partner and while I don’t currently have the title, I manage quite a few of the Rev Ops of our org. However I also oversee all the HubSpot projects for clients (sales, marketing, service, and CMS). If I was to take on a Rev Ops title, how do you feel that would come across when working with end customers? Is there any worry that it may come across negatively? Any thoughts?
- Jeff - Do you feel having a RevOps team in place dictates what skills are prioritized/deprioritized in a sales team? Or does the sales team dictate the build of a RevOps team? The chicken or the egg!?
- All - where is core rev ops reporting into within your orgs?
- All - For small businesses that may not be able to have a home base rev ops team, what are your thoughts on using a external rev ops team?
- All - What are the top tools for your revops function?
What other questions do you have for the panelists? Comment below and @ tag a panelist for their answer.
More Details: This year, how you decide to organized your internal operations matters more than ever. When you feel friction internally, your customers feel it even worse. In order to grow better as you grow bigger, your business needs to run better: you need to scale your operating system in a way that’s friction-free for both your company and your customers.
That's why we're hosted this event on RevOps. RevOps is the mindset, practice, and manifestation of unifying your go-to-market operations, creating the best customer experience from the inside-out. Watch it on-demand now, and follow up with the panelists in this thread in our Community (below)!