Reporting & Analytics

Lass
Participant

"Other Campaigns" tracking URL populating "original source drill-down 1" with campaign name

SOLVE

Hi,

I find that Hubspot has a very particular way of using UTM-tracking, which is why I use the Hubspot Tracking URL Bulder for every campaign.

However, when it comes to using the "Other Campaigns" category, I find that the campaign name is used to populate "original source drill-down 1" instead of populating it with the soruce in the UTM.

Here is an example:
Campaign name: ROI

Source: Other Campaigns

UTM source: Google

Medium: banner

This will result in the following properties being updated in Hubspot, when a new contact is created through the URL:
Original source: Other campaigns

Original Source drill-down 1: ROI

Original Source drill-down 2: Google / banner

First touch converting campaign: ROI

In my book, the data should look like this:

Original source: Other campaigns

Original Source drill-down 1: Google

Original Source drill-down 2: banner

First touch converting campaign: ROI

Is this just the way Hubspot works or am I missing something?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

"Other Campaigns" tracking URL populating "original source drill-down 1" with campaign name

SOLVE

Hi @Lass,

HubSpot has defined rules how traffic is categorized into these Original source properties, you can find an overview here: How traffic is categorized into each source

For Other campaigns, the utm_campaign parameter is used for Original source drill-down 1, the utm_source and utm_medium into Original source drill-down 2. So... it's just the way HubSpot works. You're not missing anything.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hey @Lass,

I don't think the categorization can be changed, unfortunately. This is pretty much set in stone by HubSpot.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes
Lass
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @karstenkoehler,

Thanks for the swift reply 🙂

Do you know, if there's a workaround?

Best, Lasse

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Lass,

HubSpot has defined rules how traffic is categorized into these Original source properties, you can find an overview here: How traffic is categorized into each source

For Other campaigns, the utm_campaign parameter is used for Original source drill-down 1, the utm_source and utm_medium into Original source drill-down 2. So... it's just the way HubSpot works. You're not missing anything.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler