Reporting & Analytics

gblundell

Why would we use Google Tag Manager?

SOLVE

Hello

At the end of the Knowledge base article on installing the HubSpot tracking code, there is a section titled "Install the tracking code using Google Tag Manager". 

Is this in lieu of installing the HubSpot tracking code by copying/pasting the code on each page of the website as suggestd initially? I'm struggling to see why we would use Google Tag Manager to do this.

Thank you.

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Aakar
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Thanks @sharonlicari 

Hi, @gblundell If your website is hosted in HubSpot, you don't need to install the tracking code at all.

If your website is outside of HubSpot, you've to install the HubSpot tracking code in order to use HubSpot analytics. 

You can directly copy the HubSpot tracking code and paste it on your website or you can paste it on your website using the Google Tag Manager. They are the same thing. You don't have to use Google Tag Manager to install the HubSpot tracking code.

However, I suggest using the Google Tag Manager to manage all of your tags including HubSpot tracking code, so that you don't have to copy/paste the tag each time on the website when you use a new tracking tool. It's easier to manage the tag using GTM. You can also see the tracking preview in GTM.

"Google Tag Manager is a tag management system that allows you to create and monitor tags on a user interface, without writing new code each time you want to construct a tag. You simply embed the Google Tag Manager code into each page of your website. This eliminates the manual process of creating tags, making your marketing process more efficient and precise," according to HubSpot blog.

For example: you want to put Facebook pixel, Google Analytics, HubSpot Analytics, Twitter Pixel, LinkedIn Pixel, Quora Pixel, Mixpanel, or any other analytics tool to track your website traffic or to run your paid campaigns. For that, each platform will tell you to paste their tracking code on each website page. And if you follow this route, every time when you've to use a new tool, you've to manually update all website pages and it could create complications and could break the page. But if you are using Google Tag Manager, you don't have to update your website at all. Once you install the GTM on your website, all new tags can be added directly to GTM and not on your website. GTM will handle all those tags for you.

It might sound complex if you have never used GTM. Once you use it, you'll love it.

Here's a helpful HubSpot guide about Google Tag Manager.

Thanks.

Aakar Anil
Marketing Technologist
aakar.me | @aakarpost | in/aakarpost

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
sharonlicari
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hey @gblundell 

I want to tag in some subject matter experts to assist with this! 

Hi @Aakar @bendonahower @CedCommerce what would you advise in this case?

Thank you
Sharon 

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
Aakar
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Thanks @sharonlicari 

Hi, @gblundell If your website is hosted in HubSpot, you don't need to install the tracking code at all.

If your website is outside of HubSpot, you've to install the HubSpot tracking code in order to use HubSpot analytics. 

You can directly copy the HubSpot tracking code and paste it on your website or you can paste it on your website using the Google Tag Manager. They are the same thing. You don't have to use Google Tag Manager to install the HubSpot tracking code.

However, I suggest using the Google Tag Manager to manage all of your tags including HubSpot tracking code, so that you don't have to copy/paste the tag each time on the website when you use a new tracking tool. It's easier to manage the tag using GTM. You can also see the tracking preview in GTM.

"Google Tag Manager is a tag management system that allows you to create and monitor tags on a user interface, without writing new code each time you want to construct a tag. You simply embed the Google Tag Manager code into each page of your website. This eliminates the manual process of creating tags, making your marketing process more efficient and precise," according to HubSpot blog.

For example: you want to put Facebook pixel, Google Analytics, HubSpot Analytics, Twitter Pixel, LinkedIn Pixel, Quora Pixel, Mixpanel, or any other analytics tool to track your website traffic or to run your paid campaigns. For that, each platform will tell you to paste their tracking code on each website page. And if you follow this route, every time when you've to use a new tool, you've to manually update all website pages and it could create complications and could break the page. But if you are using Google Tag Manager, you don't have to update your website at all. Once you install the GTM on your website, all new tags can be added directly to GTM and not on your website. GTM will handle all those tags for you.

It might sound complex if you have never used GTM. Once you use it, you'll love it.

Here's a helpful HubSpot guide about Google Tag Manager.

Thanks.

Aakar Anil
Marketing Technologist
jaredneale
Participant

SOLVE

What if you have a wordpress site and are using the HubSpot Plugin and would like to use Google Tag Manager vis Google Search Console? Would you keep both the hubspot plugin and google tag manager or are they redundant?

0 Upvotes
Aakar
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @jaredneale 

I don't know how HubSpot WP Plugin works. My best guess is, you can use HubSpot features right inside the WordPress via HubSpot plugin. If that's the case, I'd suggest using the HubSpot plugin in WordPress. If you're using the HubSpot plugin, please don't add HubSpot tracking code in Google Tag Manager.

You can still use the Google Tag Managers to manage your other tags such as Google Analytics, Facebook Pixels, Google Adwords, etc. 

Thanks.

Aakar Anil
Marketing Technologist