Unusual spike in direct traffic

AllisonAltus
Top Contributor

Is anyone else experiencing an unusual spike in Direct Traffic for June? Hubspot is showing a 22% increase in overall sessions whereas google analytics is showing 4% decrease in sessions -  i know I can't compare like for like with hubspot and GA, but that is a big difference if comparing trends??

Thanks 

Allison 

0 Upvotes
7 Replies 7
Phil_Vallender
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

Hi @AllisonAltus

I've not observerd widespread spikes in direct traffic, so it may be isolated to you. 

Are any third parties (including HubSpot) doing work on your website currently? Or have you noticed and strange domains with high visits/views in the prospects tools? 

These can sometimes help you narrow down the cause. 

Phil Vallender | Inbound marketing for B2B technology companies
0 Upvotes
AllisonAltus
Top Contributor

Hi @Phil_Vallender, no I haven't noticed any unusual domains from the prospects tool. However, the number of sessions from referrals has also increased particularly from this - 1.1.1.1/login  but I can't see what that is. 

Would this referral traffic and direct traffic increase be related?  The direct traffic numbers are much higher than the referral traffic numbers so it maybe has nothing to do with each other, it just shows a similar trend. 

Thanks

Allison 

0 Upvotes
Tanya
Contributor

I've been noticing this as well for a few different sites, starting in May. This is total speculation, but perhaps it's due to cookie tracking changes that have been rolled out with GDPR?

Tanya
AllisonAltus
Top Contributor

Hi @Tanya, yes that did cross my mind too. With more people being made aware of GDPR and cookie tracking, perhaps more people are choosing not to be tracked?? However, I didn't think that would increase overall/total traffic numbers..instead, it would show one source decreasing and while direct traffic increased?

0 Upvotes
Tanya
Contributor

That's the thing... it is directly proportional to loss of traffic from other sources 🕵️‍♀️

Tanya
0 Upvotes
LauraMcE
Participant

I had this happen a couple of weeks ago but reverse - there was a huge spike over the course of a day or two in direct traffic that I could see in GA but not Hubspot. When I went into the network stats from those days, it appeared most of the direct traffic was coming from Hubspot (at least, that is what the network was named). 

0 Upvotes
AllisonAltus
Top Contributor

Just to give an update....now when i'm looking back at the month of June where i had unusual traffic from Direct Sources - its now back down to normal. The extra sessions have disappeared from the report analytics tool! Very strange that sessions can be counted one month and then now they have disappeared. Also not great when I had already reported those spikes in traffic to my team. 

Has anyone else experienced this??