Reporting & Analytics

LSchwalberg

UTM Fields & tracking does not seem to be working

SOLVE

Hi there 👋

I've launched LinkedIn Ads and created a HubSpot form to capture leads. I've used the HubSpot naming convention for tracking as stated in this link (utm_source=LinkedIn, utm_medium=paid) : https://knowledge.hubspot.com/reports/understand-hubspots-traffic-sources-in-the-traffic-analytics-t... and got some conversions within my LinkedIn Campaign. Though I'm not able to see these leads being categorised as Paid Social when I look at the HubSpot Form reporting by source. 

Can you help me with this? Thanks 

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
klloyd__1
Solution
Participant | Gold Partner

SOLVE

@LSchwalberg ah, yep, that is the issue!  When you go from the LinkedIn Ad to the Landing Page, the UTM's from the ad will be in the URL.  But, when you click the CTA, which redirects to the Form, those UTMs are not carried over.  So when the Form is submitted, as far as HubSpot is concerned, it comes directly from the Landing Page and counts as direct traffic.

You won't necessarily need to use LinkedIn Lead Gen forms, but you'll want to have the HubSpot Form embedded directly on the Landing Page itself.  Instead of LinkedIn Ad --> Landing Page w/ CTA --> Form, your conversion path will just be LinkedIn Ad --> Landing Page w/ Form.

If you need help implementing this, or would like a review of your other conversion paths and strategy, feel free to book some time on my calendar here: https://lloydsolves.com/meetings/kenny-lloyd/scoping-call

I hope that this has helped!  If so, please mark this solution as accepted 😇

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
klloyd__1

SOLVE

Thanks for the tag, @TiphaineCuisset!

@LSchwalberg, have you considered using LinkedIn Lead Gen forms, which then can be synced directly to HubSpot?  This method is straightforward and usually has better tracking since the conversion is happening on LinkedIn and then passed into HubSpot.  That method is always attributed as Paid Social.

If you still want to go the route of using a HubSpot Form, you'll need to make sure that the click on the LinkedIn ad goes directly to the Form.  For example, if your LinkedIn ad directs to your homepage, and then you click a link to the Form, HubSpot will likely categorize it as direct traffic or referrals.

You should review the URL before submitting the Form, after clicking in from the LinkedIn ad, and see what parameters are being shown there.  If the parameters are present in the URL before submitting the Form, then the Contact should be attributed to Paid Social.  If not, then you need to review your conversion path and see where the UTMs are being stripped from that URL in the process.

Feel free to post screenshots in this thread so we can review them!

LSchwalberg

SOLVE

Thanks @klloyd_1 for the great insights. 

My ads do not direct to the form but on a landing page - then people need to click on a CTA to access the form.

Does it mean that the HubSpot tracking works only when we use LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms, or when we direct traffic to the form directly? 

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
klloyd__1
Solution

SOLVE

@LSchwalberg ah, yep, that is the issue!  When you go from the LinkedIn Ad to the Landing Page, the UTM's from the ad will be in the URL.  But, when you click the CTA, which redirects to the Form, those UTMs are not carried over.  So when the Form is submitted, as far as HubSpot is concerned, it comes directly from the Landing Page and counts as direct traffic.

You won't necessarily need to use LinkedIn Lead Gen forms, but you'll want to have the HubSpot Form embedded directly on the Landing Page itself.  Instead of LinkedIn Ad --> Landing Page w/ CTA --> Form, your conversion path will just be LinkedIn Ad --> Landing Page w/ Form.

If you need help implementing this, or would like a review of your other conversion paths and strategy, feel free to book some time on my calendar here: https://lloydsolves.com/meetings/kenny-lloyd/scoping-call

I hope that this has helped!  If so, please mark this solution as accepted 😇

TiphaineCuisset
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @LSchwalberg 

Thank you for reaching out!

I want to tag some of our experts here - @Ben_M @Jnix284 @klloyd__1 do you know what may be happening here? 

If those leads are being categorized as Direct Traffic, I want to share this article that explain multiple reasons why this could happen. 

Thank you!
Have a lovely day,
Tiphaine.

Saviez vous que la Communauté est disponible en français?
Rejoignez les discussions francophones en changeant votre langue dans les paramètres !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes