Reporting & Analytics

Jaesun

UTM Code Tool Suggestions

SOLVE
I have some feedback and suggestions for the UTM code builder too. I am working on launching a huge digital campaign and need to create a lot of UTMcodes that only vary by the content field (for different creative/ad sizes); however, the current Hubspot tool does not make it easy to create slight variations to the code. When creating new codes I actually have to re-enter all the content into all the fields each time with the exception of the URL at the top of the form - that remains when selecting "Create new code." Other UTM code generator tools I have used actually preserve the contents of all the fields and allow one to just make slight edits before generating a new code - this saves a ton of time! As a result of using Hubspot, this process is taking me way longer than using other UTM code builders - I literally have to re-type everything each time. Not to mention, the process of reentering all this content introduces more errors into the process and enables users to make more mistakes/typos. So, adding some function/option that allows one to just "tweak" the code or create a completely new code would be ideal.

Inline image 1

Lastly, when trying to manage all the codes generated for a given campaign, using the Tracking code URL dashboard, I am only able to see three fields - Campaign Name, Source and Medium. However, the dynamic/unique portions of the UTM code for a campaign (like the one I am working on) are not displayed. It is the Content and Term fields (at the end) that will actually differentiate each code/creative from one another. Furthermore, if I notice I made a mistake in a UTM code: (1) it is difficult to find the code I want within this dashboard because the unique portions of the code are not displayed - I have to use the "Search" tool to find the one I want and (2) when I do find the code I want, I have to delete it and recreate whole new code versus just fixing the error.

Inline image 2

1 Accepted solution
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Jaesun

UTM management is a pain, whatever the platform. HubSpot is not great for it. 

Back when I used them a lot more, I used https://www.terminusapp.com/

They had only just started back then and the tool was already pretty good. It looks like its come a long way since. 

Hope this is of some help.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
adamjthompson
Participant

SOLVE

Sounds like we're in a similar situation. It would be really great if Hubspot could support better tracking/reporting options for those of us who want/need to be granular (eg focusing on utm_content, etc.).

Phil_Vallender
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @Jaesun

UTM management is a pain, whatever the platform. HubSpot is not great for it. 

Back when I used them a lot more, I used https://www.terminusapp.com/

They had only just started back then and the tool was already pretty good. It looks like its come a long way since. 

Hope this is of some help.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency
dwalsh
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Phil - I'm planning on switching to Terminus so we can add custom dimensions to our tracking URLs, but we're also looking at CampaignTrackly. Ever work with them?  Since you've already done this, any suggestions on how best o set things up?  For example, after we switch I plan on pulling all reports out of Google Analytics. Did you stop using Hubspot reports as well?  I'm guessing I'll still have to use them for some data - such as emails sent/delivered/bounced etc.  Any advice you can share would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks! --- Deb 

0 Upvotes