Traffic analytics, filtered by list membership

Ian_Blake
Participant

Is it possible to create a report that lists, in order of frequency, the pages that were visited by members of a specific 'list'? We're trying to discover which of our blog posts are most popular among actual conversions.

9 Replies 9
roisinkirby
HubSpot Product Team

Hey @Ian_Blake this might be possible with the Reporting Add-On. @JorieMunroe what best practices / tools would you reccommend for getting these segmented insights?

0 Upvotes
JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor

Hi @Ian_Blake,

Welcome to HubSpot community! Just to confirm, are you trying to determine if leads are revisiting the blog generally, or how many times each lead has historically visited your blog? 

This gets a bit complicated in Reporting Add-on because you start to deal with cross-object reporting workarounds. My recommendation moving forward would be to use the List tool and use the filters "List membership" AND "Page View > Contact has visited page containing > Your Blog URL". You can then refine by number or times, rolling dates, etc. 

Happy to dig into this further, however, if this solution does not quite accomplish what you are trying to achieve! 

Best,

Jorie 

0 Upvotes
Ian_Blake
Participant

Thanks for the replies @roisinkirby and @JorieMunroe!

We're trying to establish which blog posts are most popular among conversions vs. non-conversions, and for the former group, which blogs posts are most popular pre- and post- conversion. We’re really trying to use this data to identify content gaps among our typical (converting) personae, and prioritize content that should be refreshed.

Interestingly we had already done exactly what you had suggested (great minds think alike!) and we did get some super interesting insights that will definitley impact our content strategy going forward. It would be nice, however, to be able to slice-and-dice en masse for a defined 'list' to see exactly what they are doing vs. other groups.... our workaround required manually adding the URLs our top-50 blogs, which only really serves up how many users visisted those posts, vs. how many times each user visited that post or where in the journey they visisted the post. 

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor

Hi @Ian_Blake,

Great minds indeed! Tagging some of my colleagues so we can creatively problem solve together! @cbsembler and @ashahhubspot - got any work around top of mind?

Best, 

Jorie

0 Upvotes
JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor

@Ian_Blake - Have you checked the Blog Analyze tab > Top Posts by Conversion? This could give you a general sense of which blog topics are driving conversion.

0 Upvotes
cbsembler
Academy Team

Hi @Ian_Blake

@JorieMunroe has a great first step here where you can start to see which posts are performing well and then as your next step to drill into the contacts themselves, create a list based off those blog posts. You could then compare and contrast what is occurring in those contacts based on the different types of posts. 

A little combination here of reporting from the blog tool and then diving into the list and the contacts. 

Thanks, 

Courtney Sembler 

0 Upvotes
ashahhubspot
HubSpot Employee

@JorieMunroe @Ian_Blake

To confirm, what you'd ideally like to see is: 

Y axis: Number of pageviews

X axis: Name of page/blog

And this would be filtered on a specific Smartlist of individuals who fit certain criteria.

Am I getting that right? 

PS: If this filtering weren't critical here (if you were interested in general blog analytics per post), then the approaches recommended above would work fine. But the filtering cannot be done within Blog Analytics at the moment without exporting/creating lists. So I've included some potential alternative approaches here. 

If so, there isn't an easy out of the box way to do this, but I have some possibilities: 

1) The Events tool, available in HubSpot's Enterprise Marketing package, allows you to tag specific events (such as a particular page view) and then view a Report of everyone who has completed these events. You can then build a smart list off people who have completed certain events. This would allow you to see, for example, everyone who has viewed these five pages,  as opposed to those who have viewed these 6 pages, and find the pattern. You can create an Event Report: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/events-user-guide-v2/how-to-create-visited-url-events

2) You could create properties for pages viewed by contacts. Using workflows, every time a contact views a new page, you could store it in a property. Then, you can use that property as your X axis on the report described at the beginning of my comment. The same principle (in terms of workflow) as what is in this article: https://blog.hubspot.com/customers/how-to-use-workflows-to-set-up-lead-ownership-change-notification...

Of course, I'd love to be wrong here; I would love if there were a simple solution that doesn't involve this much messing around. Ideally, our Blog Views-type Reports in the Reporting tool would allow you to filter by a list. We'll definitely get there soon. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. 

0 Upvotes
Ian_Blake
Participant

Thanks for all the replies @cbsembler @ashahhubspot @JorieMunroe @roisinkirby, really appreciate it!

I think it's a case of close-but-no cigar. None of the workarounds achieve exactly what we're looking for, but all surfaced some interesting insights nonetheless. (note: I can't speak to the 'events' suggestions.... it sounds like it'd allow us to build-and-track some super cool trends / patterns / metrics over time, but alas we don't have the enterprise version)

To be honest the original solution of worked well and gave us some eye-opening inisghts. For example, we did manage to identify one blog post that ranks #1 in terms of overall visits among conversions, whereas the same post only ranks #24 among non-conversions... I'd call that a win, right?! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Thanks again folks!

TJ_Price
Participant

@ashahhubspot

I am very interested in seeing multiple reports for contacts assigned one of 5 options for our created contact property (ex: Contact Property = A, B, C, etc.), one report for each of these options (essentially segmentation). The reports would ideally have as you've said: 

Y axis: Number of pageviews

X axis: Name of page

I've followed your suggestion for using the Events tool to create events for each of our product groups (using the URL wildcard to cover all pages within that product group). But I'm wondering what my next steps are to segment the events report based on either a list or based on the Contact Property.

Thanks!

0 Upvotes