Reporting & Analytics

F7o
Participant

Tracking the source of Form Submissions

SOLVE

Hey guys,

I would like to track the source of form submissions similar to what is possible in Google Analytics with Channel Grouping. 

As there isn't such an option to create you own channels or change the default ones I hope you're able to assist with ideas.

First thought was using utm parameters as a property, but this would only help for a certain amount of users. Most of our forms are implemented on wordpress pages. 

If I understood everthing correctly, Hubspot uses the URL itself to fill out the hidden field. So if someone switches the page and the URL changes no field will be filled out. This means a hidden utm field would just stay empty if someone browses multiple pages on our site and decides he would like to fill out a form.

Tracking URLs are not suited as well as I would like to measure external sources as well. 

Maybe  I missed something or there are just other options that I do not know about. 

Any tip will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

1 Accepted solution
Aakar
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Thanks @JessicaH 

Hi @F7o 

Yes, browsing several pages will remove the utm_ tracking. Have you tried using the Original Drill Down source in HubSpot? I don't know how WP (I don't use WP) is being tracked in HubSpot, however, if you're using HS Analytics/Tracking correctly, you'll be able to get the drill down original source. After that, you can create a list based on the original source or use it with the workflow to update your channel conventions. Maybe you can use the combination of utm_ parameters & original sources.

There could be a dev option as well, which I haven't tried yet. A developer might be able to store the utm_source, utm_medium, etc. temporarily in the browser and pass that info to the form submission page. I'm not a developer expert, so if you want to try out this route, please check it with your developer and HubSpot developer documentations.

Thank you.

Aakar Anil
Marketing Technologist
aakar.me | @aakarpost | in/aakarpost

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
codeandtonichq
Contributor

SOLVE

A super easy method
If I understood correctly,  this tutorial on how to send Form submits that happen on your website as events to Google Analytics should do everything you wanted with one quick copy-paste.

It works because it's using Google Analytics in your website, the WordPress website and just listening for  Hubspot form submit and sending all that info to Google Analytics. That way, you can check google Analytics for all the information to see that "ok, the people from this email campaign filled the form 19 times and people from this google ad filled it 40 times" etc. Simple to analyse and super valuable. And also, very easy to implement with just a quick copy-paste. 

I don't know how WP (I don't use WP) is being tracked in HubSpot

It's not. Hubspot does not track the website the form is embedded on (correct me if I'm wrong)

Yes, browsing several pages will remove the utm_ tracking.

This does not matter. As long as the utm codes where in the first link that lead to the website, that session will be tracked with all that valuable info (correct me if I'm wrong but if I'm wrong UTM codes are absolutely useless)

Good luck 🙂 

You can also get in touch if you need more help

0 Upvotes
Aakar
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Thanks @JessicaH 

Hi @F7o 

Yes, browsing several pages will remove the utm_ tracking. Have you tried using the Original Drill Down source in HubSpot? I don't know how WP (I don't use WP) is being tracked in HubSpot, however, if you're using HS Analytics/Tracking correctly, you'll be able to get the drill down original source. After that, you can create a list based on the original source or use it with the workflow to update your channel conventions. Maybe you can use the combination of utm_ parameters & original sources.

There could be a dev option as well, which I haven't tried yet. A developer might be able to store the utm_source, utm_medium, etc. temporarily in the browser and pass that info to the form submission page. I'm not a developer expert, so if you want to try out this route, please check it with your developer and HubSpot developer documentations.

Thank you.

Aakar Anil
Marketing Technologist
F7o
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @Aaker,

Thank you for your answer and your suggestions! It's much appreciated. 

Original source is the one source where the contact originally entered our page from, correct? 

And the according drill downs just specify that source further down? 

So, it won't be changed even when a contact visits our page again, let's say 6 months later? 

I'd be able to use the Original Drill Down if that source updatable, that would be awesome

If that's not the case I'll probably need to check in with our developers to narrow down the possibility of storing the utms temporarily.

Thanks again for your answer!  

Greetings Flo

0 Upvotes
Aakar
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Yeah, you got it @F7o 

If the lead re-converts on the same page, you can easily figure out the re-conversion source based on the utm_.

If they re-convert on another page, sorting the utms is the way forward.

Thanks

Aakar Anil
Marketing Technologist
JessicaH
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

SOLVE

Hi @F7o,

Thanks for reaching out.
I want to tag in some subject matter experts to see if they have any suggestions.
Hi @Aakar @Daniel_Bleich @warrendavey, do you have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
Jess  

Wusstest du, dass es auch eine DACH-Community gibt?
Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, in dem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes