Reporting & Analytics

MSmith07
Miembro

Tracking URL Builder - For real?

resolver

Hey Guys - cWe were told by our account team that we should create and use URL Tracking as much as possible. We took your advice. During the process, at NO POINT does it tell you that the URL provided is permanent and uneditable. It is absolutely ridiculous to think that when I create a URL, I cannot edit the URL. There are many, many examples of a customer changing a URL to consider. In our case, the URL was created to track a video. The customer updated the video and the URL was changed. Regardless, if I wanted to track a differnet video every week during the same campaign, that's a choice I'd make and if I use the URL tool to create the tracker, I am severely limited to how I can implement. Right now, I have 600 connection requests I have sent out on LinkedIn that have a broken URL. And there is no way for me to update it. This is not a feature, this is a bug. There is no indication in your materials or when creating the URL that implies it is not editable. This data exists in a database/collection somewhere, and it obviously could be updated. You have forced a management decision via your feature. So basically, using your tools as instructed, and dealing with a real-world scenario of a client changing a video, we look like complete fools to our prospects. Either your campaign tool isn't mature enough to handle the simple task of editing a field, or you are forcing a user to behave a specific way without providing any guidance or warning of the impact.  When contacting support, they tell us to go "upvote" to have this feature changed down the road. That doesn't help me right now during my active campaign with a broken link. What am I supposed to do in this scenario?

1 Soluciones aceptada
Crystal_Hopper
Solución
Asesor destacado

resolver

Hi @MSmith07! Many, many times I've wished I could edit a tracking URL because I misspelled something or associated it with an incorrect campaign. I have a lot of tracking URLS that aren't used because I just built a new one that was correct. Though, I didn't realize it should be possible to edit them. Do you work with other tools that allow this?

I also view my HS Tracked URLs in Google Analytics. If I was to edit an existing URL in HS, wouldn't that just split the traffic up in any analytics tools? So I'd have a few hits on one variations of the URL, and additional hits on the other variant. Seems like this would make data collection very hard if these URLs were editable and had variants. I get the wish for them to be edited; I'm just not sure if it is truly practical from the data standpoint.  

Also, to correct your currently broken link(s), you can put in a redirect in HS so the links that are out there work: 

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/domains-and-urls/create-and-manage-url-redirects

I know this isn't what you want to do right now, but it'll get you by while you figure out your path forward.

Did my post solve the questions or challenge? Please mark it as a solution for others to find.

Ver la solución en mensaje original publicado

2 Respuestas 2
Crystal_Hopper
Solución
Asesor destacado

resolver

Hi @MSmith07! Many, many times I've wished I could edit a tracking URL because I misspelled something or associated it with an incorrect campaign. I have a lot of tracking URLS that aren't used because I just built a new one that was correct. Though, I didn't realize it should be possible to edit them. Do you work with other tools that allow this?

I also view my HS Tracked URLs in Google Analytics. If I was to edit an existing URL in HS, wouldn't that just split the traffic up in any analytics tools? So I'd have a few hits on one variations of the URL, and additional hits on the other variant. Seems like this would make data collection very hard if these URLs were editable and had variants. I get the wish for them to be edited; I'm just not sure if it is truly practical from the data standpoint.  

Also, to correct your currently broken link(s), you can put in a redirect in HS so the links that are out there work: 

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/domains-and-urls/create-and-manage-url-redirects

I know this isn't what you want to do right now, but it'll get you by while you figure out your path forward.

Did my post solve the questions or challenge? Please mark it as a solution for others to find.
MSmith07
Miembro

resolver

The Redirect is the most useful suggestion that was made, thank you.  The issue is the original URL was sent in a campaign email, so all I wanted to be able to do was what you suggest, which is have it go to a different place.  Funny that this suggestion was not made right away by support.  Anyway, I understand your point on GA, but if the goal is to simply know what's going on, it isn't hard to look at two URLs and understand that they are for the same purpose or measurement.  Either way, I am not sure why you cannot edit a Tracking URL, it still seems something very simple that would be useful for the reasons you mentioned.