Reporting & Analytics

WhitneyD33

Tracking Referrals on the Back End

SOLVE

Hi all,

I've got a theoretical question on how to handle referrals on the back end.

We have a form on a landing page (Form A) that when submitted, creates Contact A. Contact A is then redirected to a page that has Form B on it, asking them to refer someone to us. If Contact A fills out Form B, a new contact, Contact B is created (which is what we want!).

Here's where I'm having trouble. We have workflows that push Contact A to go to the landing page and fill out the form referring someone to us, which creates Contact B. Since a brand new contact is being created from the submission of Form B (contact B) I can't figure out a way to suppress Contact A from the workflow.

Here's what I've tried so far:

-Using clicking the CTA in the workflow email that links to the landing page as the workflow "goal" criteria (I don't love this because just because they clicked the CTA to go to the page doesn't mean they filled out the form

-Creating a custom event on the "submit" button on Form B...however, this tied the event completion to Contact B, not Contact A

Any ideas on how we can tie the submission of Form B (which creates a new contact, Contact B) to contact A?

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Aakar
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Thanks @jennysowyrda 

Hi @WhitneyD33 

I'm still not clear about the requirement.

Anyways, if a user fills up the form A and goes to the landing page with form B and fill up that form again, it might not create a new contact at all. To create a new contact B, first, you've to turn OFF the form cookie tracking so that two contacts A and B can be created. I hope you are doing it. 

At this point, Contact A and B are created, now we want to tie up the contact B with contact A or vice versa.

You might want to create a new custom email field in the contact properties. So, when the contact A refers B (creates contact B), A will again enter his/her email in the new custom email field on Form B. This way, contact A has one email field, whereas contact B has two email fields, one is the contact B email (primary), and the second one is the email of the referral A. 

Now, looking at the contact B new custom email field record, you can find out which contact (A) referred the contact B. 

Let me know if it helps.

Thanks.

Aakar Anil
Marketing Technologist
aakar.me | @aakarpost | in/aakarpost

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Aakar
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Thanks @jennysowyrda 

Hi @WhitneyD33 

I'm still not clear about the requirement.

Anyways, if a user fills up the form A and goes to the landing page with form B and fill up that form again, it might not create a new contact at all. To create a new contact B, first, you've to turn OFF the form cookie tracking so that two contacts A and B can be created. I hope you are doing it. 

At this point, Contact A and B are created, now we want to tie up the contact B with contact A or vice versa.

You might want to create a new custom email field in the contact properties. So, when the contact A refers B (creates contact B), A will again enter his/her email in the new custom email field on Form B. This way, contact A has one email field, whereas contact B has two email fields, one is the contact B email (primary), and the second one is the email of the referral A. 

Now, looking at the contact B new custom email field record, you can find out which contact (A) referred the contact B. 

Let me know if it helps.

Thanks.

Aakar Anil
Marketing Technologist
aakar.me | @aakarpost | in/aakarpost
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @WhitneyD33,

Would the submission of Form A be enough to make them ineligible from being associated with the second form (as you know they have already touched your website and submitted a form)? 

You could create a list based on the form A submission and have that be the suppression list for form B workflow. 

That is the most automated solution I can think of, but there could be other options. @Aakar@Krystina, @ElyshaShave@Krystina do you have any other suggestions for @WhitneyD33?

Thanks,
Jenny

0 Upvotes