Tracking Original Source

AlyssaMarie
Participant

In our small company, there is a lot of pressure to prove the ROI of our larger sponsored campaigns and our conferences.  In this way, tracking the way that the lead originally appeared to us in a more detailed way than "offline, Email Marketing" etc and how much money it closed with is the most important aspect of my work. 

The CEO, our board, and the other leaders understandably do not care about influenced revenue, touches, or campagins that converted to a sale at this juncture. We want to know:  If we attended X conference, or sponsored X webinar offline, how many leads closed from it, and did we get our $30k back?  Should we do it again? What happened apart in our process that made it work or not work? 

The only way I can find to do this cleanly is to be careful with lists, and then use the "original source drill down 2" on "Deals" in the CRM to track how much money closed.  My plan was to export the deals with this property, and then create a pivot table to show number and value of deals closed in excel. 

However, when you export deals with their original source drill down 2, you get Hubspot's internal code for the list, not the list name. For example, my list called "Great Conference A. csv" in "Drill Down Source 2" comes out in excel as "3124098lkad-kljasdfj2jdf-"    Hubspot has said this is a known issue and they dont have a timeline for fixing it. They did provide some work-arounds, like saving a bunch of filters for the internal code (as opposed the list name) but that is really extensive. 

Does anyone have ideas for other work arounds on how to find:

-How many leads a particular isolated large event generate?

-How many net  new were generated?

-How much money closed from that event?

2 Replies 2
bradmin
Key Advisor

Hi, @AlyssaMarie. If this is a known issue, you're at the mercy of the fix. The only other quick thing you might want to try with out-of-the-box tools is setting up Zapier. I'm curious whether the known issue would persist across integrations - you could zap contact details from a list to, say, a Google sheet, and see if the analytics properties appear differently there. 

I have no idea if that would work, but in terms of things you can immediately test for, that's something you could attempt.

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.
JohnMorgan
Participant

Hi Alyssa,

I feel your pain. I try to do similar things and my challenge is compounded by our extremely long sales cycle - often up to two years. 

I have created contact funnels for the lead sources I want to track. For me that typically means third party advertising sites or Facebook advertising or Linked In. But you could build a funnel based on a single event. Then you could see how these contacts progressed through the various lifecycle phases.

I have exported this info to Excel and assigned a monetary value to each lifecycle phase. So, for instance, our ASP is $10,000 (let's say). So anybody who becomes a customer is worth $10k. However, since our sales cycle is so long, those who haven't yet converted still have value. We win about 25% of our opportunities, so the value of an open opportunity is 25% X $10,000 = $2500. Approximately 10% of MQLs eventually become customers, so an MQL is worth 10% X $10,000 = $1000. 

In this way I try to value the funnel associated with a particular event or lead generating activity. If I have the following number of people at each stage, I can calculated the value of that funnel:

MQLs = 7, value = $7,000

Open Opps = 2, value = $5,000

Closed won = 1, value = $10,000

Total funnel value = $22,000

Hope that helps.

John