Reporting & Analytics

SMcCue
Participant

The best Podcast Platform

SOLVE

Hey everyone, 

I'm currently trying to evaulate the best platform for podcasting, from a HubSpot perspective. My brand has a fantastic podcast with awesome listenership. I'm wondering if anyone has found creative ways to capture that data in HubSpot (and ultimately increase conversions). 

This is mostly up for discussion, but I was hoping to get some ideas. 

Thanks!

1 Accepted solution
danmoyle
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Hi @SMcCue. This is a great question, and a big one. I have lots of thoughts (I used to work for a podcast interview marketing agency, I've worked with podcasters, I have my own shows - I'm obsessed, essentially). 

So hopefully this is coherent and helpful. 

First: The answer depends on if you're producing your own shows or you're guesting (or both). Each has its benefits, and a podcast strategy ought to include both. I want to share 3 resources on this (they're from our agency, but I'm not trying to sell you anything):

Second, it also depends on your goals and KPIs. If you're measuring traffic to your website from your podcast episodes, adding UTM links to any show notes is helpful. If it's conversions, always send listeners to an easy-to-remember URL that's a landing page and make sure it's relevant to the subject of that episode. 

If you're wondering about publishing platforms, I'm a big fan of Blubrry, Libsyn, and Transistor.fm. 

Finally, a thought to share. Like many marketing tactics, podcasting has its quirks. Like TV and radio, it may not be a direct correclation from listening to an episode and buying a service/product. It's about serving the audience you're building, through entertainment or helpful content (or the magic: both!) and building trust. Then you can ask for the sale, but not every time. 

I hope that helps. I'm happy to share more resources if you'd like. Podcasters I follow, sites I look to for insights, that kind of thing. I'm a big fan of the HubSpot podcast network, by the way. Lots to be inspired by, there. 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
danmoyle
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @SMcCue. This is a great question, and a big one. I have lots of thoughts (I used to work for a podcast interview marketing agency, I've worked with podcasters, I have my own shows - I'm obsessed, essentially). 

So hopefully this is coherent and helpful. 

First: The answer depends on if you're producing your own shows or you're guesting (or both). Each has its benefits, and a podcast strategy ought to include both. I want to share 3 resources on this (they're from our agency, but I'm not trying to sell you anything):

Second, it also depends on your goals and KPIs. If you're measuring traffic to your website from your podcast episodes, adding UTM links to any show notes is helpful. If it's conversions, always send listeners to an easy-to-remember URL that's a landing page and make sure it's relevant to the subject of that episode. 

If you're wondering about publishing platforms, I'm a big fan of Blubrry, Libsyn, and Transistor.fm. 

Finally, a thought to share. Like many marketing tactics, podcasting has its quirks. Like TV and radio, it may not be a direct correclation from listening to an episode and buying a service/product. It's about serving the audience you're building, through entertainment or helpful content (or the magic: both!) and building trust. Then you can ask for the sale, but not every time. 

I hope that helps. I'm happy to share more resources if you'd like. Podcasters I follow, sites I look to for insights, that kind of thing. I'm a big fan of the HubSpot podcast network, by the way. Lots to be inspired by, there. 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
SMcCue
Participant

SOLVE

@danmoyle this is usper hepful. You've given me a lot of great ideas and strategiest to think about.  Our listener base is established and growing every day in spite of our strategy. I think that's why I'm trying to get a handle on the metrics right now. Also, this might be a pipe dream, but I want to know how many of those downloads are just "Apple Podcast Auto downloads" and how many people listen. Probably a pie in the sky idea, but I wonder if anyone is doing that? Are there any zaiper integrations for platforms that you know of that could pull listener data from Libsyn or others?

Also, show notes are a great idea. Thanks for that!

danmoyle

SOLVE

Ahhhh analytics... so much fun. The big players in analytics doing it well are Blubrry and Libsyn. They're both IAB certified (there are probably others, but these two were first).

• What is IAB in podcasting? The Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) is the body that oversees podcast analytics standards for the industry.

I know in my Blubrry stats, I have details like where they listened, how long they listened, "impactful plays" (which are plays where the listener was there for at least 75% of an episode) and more. So it's getting pretty detailed. That, unfortunately, doesn't connect to HubSpot with a simple button. But the analytics are there. 

All the best on this journey - and feel free to message me if you want to chat. I love geeking out about podcasting! 

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
MiaSrebrnjak
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @SMcCue,

that's a great topic, thank you for starting this discussion! 

Hi @DavidDennison@NicoleSengers@ConnorSlivensky@gabriel-nextiny@danmoyle, do you have any experience with podcast platforms & sending podcast data to HubSpot for reporting? Would love to hear your thoughts on this! Thank you!

Cheers
Mia, Community Team

Wusstest du, dass es auch eine DACH-Community gibt?
Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, indem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by
changing your language settings