Tag Manager only sees page URL. Does not see any CTAs or in-page links

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hello all - I've been using Tag Manager and other Google tools (Tag Manager, Search Console, Google Ads, Google Analytics, etc.) for more than a decade so I generally know enough to be dangerous. I don't code but often understand the purpose or placement of a script. The reason I bring up my history is because I can't believe what we want to do isn't something simple nor is it something for which I've found a solution online, which makes me think I'm not asking the right question. Here's our situation for https://www.interplaylearing.com.

Tag Manager and Google Analytics are installed. However, when looking at any page in Tag Manager Preview mode, the only data TM captures is the page data (i.e., the first four items under the summary: Page View, Message, DOM Ready and Window Loaded).

Holding down the ctrl key and clicking any CTA or any link on the page launches whatever the link is supposed to launch while keeping the original page on screen. This shows me no click data whatsoever. Stated simply. GTM cannot see anything beyond the page load data.

My thinking is 1) there's no way we're the first to ask about this and 2) there has to be a plugin or java script that we can implement. I've seen posts that appear to be a solution using js, but not where it is to be inserted nor if it is even possible to insert it into the Hubspot Call to Action Code (which as I understand it, is automatically created when you create a CTA). 

I am new to Hubspot, but not to this issue. Can someone please explain it to me like I'm five if there is a solution to tracking CTA clicks as events and any other link on the page as well.

Thank you.

Bill

0 Upvotes
2 Replies
Top Contributor

Admittedly I have not worked with the Hubspot CTAs with Google Tag Manager, but I have worked a long time with the Tag Manager. What are you using as your trigger in Tag Manager to see whether the click on the CTA is occuring?  This sounds to me like the event trigger is not firing.

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

I don't have a trigger set up yet. As you know, with GTM in preview mode, you can see the result of a click (gtm.click or gtmlink.click) in the summary panel and then investigate further the varialbe or data layer you wish to use in your to-be-built trigger. Clicking any link anywhere on the page is not seen by GTM. The summary box never changes from the initial page load summary so creating an event trigger is useless at this stage.

0 Upvotes