Reporting & Analytics

ALegToStandOn
Participant

Setting up Conversion Tracking in Hubspot Forms for Google Ads

SOLVE

Hello -

We are new to Google Ads and trying to set up a conversion tracking for anytime someone submits this form: www.altso.org/.

We have the global site tag, the tag in the header, and below added to our Hubspot form (Ids removed for privacy). The form loads, but the tracking doesn't seem to be picked up by GoogleAds. Not sure what went wrong or how to fix. Thank you!! 

<!--[if lte IE 8]>
<script charset="utf-8" type="text/javascript" src="//js.hsforms.net/forms/v2-legacy.js"></script>
<![endif]-->
<script charset="utf-8" type="text/javascript" src="//js.hsforms.net/forms/v2.js"></script>
<script>
hbspt.forms.create({
portalId: "XYZ",
formId: "XYZ",
onFormSubmit: function($form) {
function gtag_report_conversion(url) {
var callback = function () {
if (typeof(url) != 'undefined') {
window.location = url;
}
};
gtag('event', 'conversion', {
'send_to': 'AW-XYZ',
'event_callback': callback
});
return false;
}
}
});
</script>

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
Daniel_Bleich
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi,

For form submissions I would suggest using the thank you page for tracking and not the form load, it is much easier to use.

If you are going for the for load then I would suggest using GTM to implement which makes it very simple and works for sure.

Daniel Bleichman
Marketing | AudioCodes

Danielbleichman@gmail.com
Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution

View solution in original post

Jonno_Price
Solution
Guide | Platinum Partner
Guide | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Hi @ALegToStandOn - Totally agree with @Daniel_Bleich - it is better to use a dedicated thank you page to add your conversion script and all of this is made much easier when using GTM. The only other thing that I would add is that if you integrate your GAds account with Hubspot you can set up the GAds pixel directly via Hubspot JS. Conversions are auto-tracked out of the box with no need to add additional scripts to the website. 

More here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/ads/connect-your-google-ads-account-to-hubspot  and

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/ads/ad-tracking-in-hubspot

With Google Ads integrated with Hubspot you can also build audiences and more. Very useful when set up correctly. 

Jonno Price
Growth London Ltd.
Platinum Hubspot Solutions Partner

Did my post help answer your query? Please help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13
codeandtonichq
Contributor

SOLVE

Hubspot Form Conversion Tracking Service

If you're not comfortable with Google Tag Manager, custom javascript, triggers and data layers, you can check the Hubspot Form Conversion Tracking Service.

Free step-by-step video tutorial

Another option is to follow this Youtube tutorial for conversion tracking Hubspot forms. 

However there are some a little bit outdated parts, and none of the tutorials you find in Google cover everything, like the new Google Ads Enhanced conversions.

ps. Feel free to get in touch if you need pro help with form tracking. I love doing it. 

Problems with the redirect method

I do Hubspot form conversion tracking for my clients all day every day, and know it inside out. So I just wanted to let you know, that in a recent test, I ran, the redirect to a custom thank you page method did not work. Using Google Tag Manager page view trigger for page /thank-you, it only worked when I clicked on a link. It did not work when I submitted Hubspot Form which fired the redirect. I made a video and will upload it soon so others can watch out. 

0 Upvotes
ALegToStandOn
Participant

SOLVE

okay thank you all! We will test out using thank you pages instead

0 Upvotes
Jonno_Price
Solution
Guide | Platinum Partner
Guide | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Hi @ALegToStandOn - Totally agree with @Daniel_Bleich - it is better to use a dedicated thank you page to add your conversion script and all of this is made much easier when using GTM. The only other thing that I would add is that if you integrate your GAds account with Hubspot you can set up the GAds pixel directly via Hubspot JS. Conversions are auto-tracked out of the box with no need to add additional scripts to the website. 

More here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/ads/connect-your-google-ads-account-to-hubspot  and

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/ads/ad-tracking-in-hubspot

With Google Ads integrated with Hubspot you can also build audiences and more. Very useful when set up correctly. 

Jonno Price
Growth London Ltd.

Did my post help answer your query? Please help the community by marking it as a solution.

DrewBolles
Participant | Diamond Partner
Participant | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hey Jonno,

Thank you for your answer, can you elaborate on this bit?

Which conversion action is fired - the offline coversion event? I have not seen this event fire, and I connect my Google Ads for all my clients. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to trigger a conversion event for embedded forms that do not have a standalone thank you page.

0 Upvotes
Daniel_Bleich
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi,

For form submissions I would suggest using the thank you page for tracking and not the form load, it is much easier to use.

If you are going for the for load then I would suggest using GTM to implement which makes it very simple and works for sure.

Daniel Bleichman
Marketing | AudioCodes

Danielbleichman@gmail.com
Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
Jordy123
Participant

SOLVE

Hi, 

as far as I'm concerned I wouldn't use "simple and works for sure". For one, I havent been able to add a hubspot form listener, the solution that can be found in the community doesnt work anymore. And the other thing is, that it is not possible to have a thank you page with a dedicated URL when embedding the hubspot form code into an external webpage. Again, there is a solution in the community for this, but I didnt manage to duplicate that. So it's not easy and doesn't work for sure. I'm afraid I havent been able to implement to track form submissions nor track ad conversions within GTM. 

0 Upvotes
EShama
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @Daniel_Bleich ,

We have ads that are linking to embedded forms that don't have thank you pages, but rather just have thank you messages. 

Is there a way to track these PPC form conversions in GTM that is triggered when the form is submitted? 

0 Upvotes
Jonno_Price
Guide | Platinum Partner
Guide | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

With GTM you can track form submissions even if there is no dedicated landing page. I've written about this here.

Note the above blog is to track form completions in GA - but you could use the same trigger in GTM to fire you Google Ads script. 

Hope that helps

Jonno Price
Growth London Ltd.

0 Upvotes
EShama
Participant

SOLVE

This is absolutely amazing! Thank you!

Since I'm new to GTM, how do I set up a trigger to fire the Google Ads script? 

0 Upvotes
Jonno_Price
Guide | Platinum Partner
Guide | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Hi @EShama - so in the blog I shared it would be Step 4. Where the blog is telling you to set up the Google Analytics tag (which will fire whenever the form is completed) - here you would instead add the Google Adwords conversion script. 

https://support.google.com/tagmanager/answer/6105160?hl=en

PS. I'm sorry I can't go into much more detail than that at the moment due to workload - but at least you know it is possible. 

It is a steep learning curve getting to know GTM 🙂

Jonno Price
Growth London Ltd.

0 Upvotes
MGoswick2
Participant

SOLVE

Any reason to do this instead of using the built-in form submission trigger in GTM?

0 Upvotes
EShama
Participant

SOLVE

This is great, thanks again! I really appreciate the help. 

0 Upvotes
TiphaineCuisset
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @ALegToStandOn 

Thank you for reaching out

I want to tag some of our experts on this - @Daniel_Bleich @NicoleSengers @Jonno_Price @tjoyce do you have any thoughts on this for @ALegToStandOn ? 

Thank you!

Best

Tiphaine

Saviez vous que la Communauté est disponible en français?
Rejoignez les discussions francophones en changeant votre langue dans les paramètres !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes