Reporting & Analytics

Anonymous
Not applicable

Reporting on form completions for new and existing contacts

SOLVE
I need a report in Hubspot that will track ALL form completions for new AND existing customers in Hubspot.

Our marketing leads are tracked by form submissions whether captured at an event (we have event lead capture forms) or digital leads (case studies / white papers downloads etc).

I tried to set up a custom marketing report to do this and got someway to getting it right but then I noticed there was a discrepancy between case study download #s versus the form submission total report #s.

I got in touch with support to see if we could find out why. It was suggested that the report I had created is only tracking NEW leads (new contacts to the CRM) and not existing contacts.

So - I am looking for a reporting whiz help. I just need to set up one report that tracks all form submissions (with totals) for new and existing contacts. Is that possible and how?
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Anonymous,

The HubSpot support rep refers to seeing the count of contacts, not the count of submissions – that's the misunderstanding. The use of such a date property would accomplish the exact same thing as using Recent conversion date.

And yes, the forms analysis section seems like the best way forward here.

If you consider this topic clarified and closed, you could accept the corresponding replies as a solution. It helps others to find this information more easily. (I'd appreciate it!)

Have a great day!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
13 Replies 13
GWebb6
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi
I've got a similar issue in that I can see in the individual form analysis the split of submissions between new contacts and existing contacts, but I would like to be able to roll that up across all forms in a campaign - rather than adding 6 individual reports. So a perfect solution would be to surface the new vs existing 'flag' (or property) that the form analysis uses in a custom report that could then be filtered to look at certain forms.

0 Upvotes
ChrisEriksson
Contributor

SOLVE

Agree and would be realy great if we could do reports on Total amounts of form completions per month/week. We have 6-7 different forms on our site and it is not unusual that a contact submit more than 1 form. The Form repports differs very much from eachother when we have one report for Total submissions and when for example pick out to make a report on only newsletter signup. 

ChrisEriksson_0-1671092529477.pngChrisEriksson_1-1671092577438.png

For September: 45 signups in the total report and only 17 in the specifik newsletter signup report. Looking at the form-analysis I see that 31 is the correct number.

ChrisEriksson_2-1671094224548.png

How can we set up a CORRECT report with TOTAL submissions per month? I see people talks about timestamp for when the form is submitted but will that not only put date stamp for 1 submission per contact? 

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Anonymous,

If you want overall marketing form performance data, you can access this information, as @JHaber6 and @ARolkowski mentioned, under Menu > Lead capture > Forms > tab Analyze. This will give you a total of submissions for a date range and also show submissions over time:

karstenkoehler_0-1668577618393.png

Keep in mind that these reports do not exclude internal form submissions.

In terms of the discrepancy you're experiencing, can you please share the exact settings of the report you created? Did you use the same date range filters, referring to the same date property?

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes
Anonymous
Not applicable

SOLVE

Hi @karstenkoehler 

We have a number of forms so I am looking for one report to collate all form data - Menu > Lead capture > Forms > tab Analyze is an option but it doesn't give me what I need and doesn't allow me to filter out various contacts by email ie. test / gmails etc 

The report I created is a custom contacts report and looks as follows:

Date property: Create date

Date range: Last month

Contact filters:

First name is known

Form submission is known

Email doesn't contain gmail / hotmail / test etc (helps me weed out the spam downloads)

I believe that because this report looks at create date, it won't take into consideration the existing contacts. When I look at form submission totals reporting, this gives me the full picture of the number of submissions.

I have now set up the Form Submission Date property and created a workflow to date stamp form submissions - I am probably going to set up a new report based on this property going forward. I don't see another way around it...

I have as an interim solution, set up Google sheets to capture 

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Anonymous,

Could you please specify a bit more what exactly you mean when you say 'all forms data'?

Do you want to visualize over time how many contacts have submitted a form in a date range, e.g. last month / curren tmoth? If so, you can use the property Recent conversion date for this. This date property automatically captures the date of the last form submissions. This includes existing and new contacts (where Recent conversion date = First conversion date).

If a contact submits multiple forms in a month, the latest one would be shown in the report. As far as I know, there isn't any native option to not de-duplicate by contact and show multiple submissions.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
Anonymous
Not applicable

SOLVE

Hi @karstenkoehler 

I need one report that looks at all of our forms and gives me a total number of submissions per form in a date period (as well as a total across all form submissions) that will count both existing contacts and new contacts - however, I need to be able to filter this report by contact properties.

I have spoken to Hubspot support an have since been advised that "Right, I don't think we have a filter that would match your goal here, the closest one is recent conversion date" so I have no gone the route of date contacts property.

Thanks anyway 🙂 

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Anonymous,

@Anonymous wrote:

I need one report that looks at all of our forms and gives me a total number of submissions per form in a date period (as well as a total across all form submissions) that will count both existing contacts and new contacts - however, I need to be able to filter this report by contact properties.

Correct, this is currently not possible.

A date property will not help, it will accomplish the same thing as Recent conversion date. In a custom report, each contact can only appear once. This report is automatically deduplicated by contact. If a contact submits 5 forms, it will only show up once.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
Anonymous
Not applicable

SOLVE

Thank you @karstenkoehler - that's frustrating as the support team have advised to do exactly this. 

See recommendation below: 

If you'd like to have this specific amount combing existing and new contacts

I'd recommend to create a workflow and date property for forms

Then you can use a workflow to set the date value whenever the contact submit the form

Then you'd be able to use this custom property in the filter to have the correct amount that submitted in this month for example.

I will continue to use this is the interim 🙂 Menu > Lead capture > Forms > tab Analyze 

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Anonymous,

The HubSpot support rep refers to seeing the count of contacts, not the count of submissions – that's the misunderstanding. The use of such a date property would accomplish the exact same thing as using Recent conversion date.

And yes, the forms analysis section seems like the best way forward here.

If you consider this topic clarified and closed, you could accept the corresponding replies as a solution. It helps others to find this information more easily. (I'd appreciate it!)

Have a great day!

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
ARolkowski
Participant | Diamond Partner
Participant | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Anonymous,

One thing that might be happening is a discrepancy between form submissions and contacts from forms. For instance, a form could be submitted twice (2 submissions) but only produce 1 contact. Just mentioning this as there is a difference between form submissions and contacts produced. 

If that is where the discrepancy is coming from, I think this report is what you need (reports on submissions not contacts).

Screen Shot 2022-11-15 at 2.48.06 PM.png
If you go to Marketing>Lead Capture>Forms>Analyze, it's there at the top and you can save it as a report so you can add to your dashboard. There is another report that shows submissions for each form further down that page (All forms). 

Hope that helps!
~Ashlee

0 Upvotes
Anonymous
Not applicable

SOLVE

Thank you @ARolkowski - I have tried this option but is not allowing me to filter what I need. (See above response to @karstenkoehler )

0 Upvotes
JHaber6
Contributor | Elite Partner
Contributor | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Anonymous , have you tried utilizing a forms report or the forms analytics tool?

0 Upvotes
Anonymous
Not applicable

SOLVE

Thank you @JHaber6 I have done this, see response to @karstenkoehler 

0 Upvotes