Reporting & Analytics

MMDC
Colaborador

Number of emails a contact receives in a day

resolver

As a lowly email marketer, no one at my company believes me when I say, "We email too much, and contacts are receiving too many emails each day." I get overuled on using the send frequency cap for nearly every email I send. So, I need to gather data to hopefully change company culture.

Is there a way to create a report that lists how many emails a person received each day? Then I can export to Excel/SQL to create PivotTable for high-level averages.

Date

Contact Name

Emails DeliveredEmails OpenedEmails Clicked
1 JanContact A200
1 JanContact B720
2 JanContact A411
2 JanContact B974

The data does exist in Hubspot, but I can't figure out a way to use advnaced builder to create it. I'm hoping I don't have download the contact list from every single email!

1 Soluciones aceptada
MMDC
Solución
Colaborador

resolver

After experimenting with the custom reports builder, I was able to get some of the data. Here's how:

1. Go to create custom report.
  2. Custom Report Builder.

3. Select Contacts and Marketing Email.

4. Under "marketing email events," select "delivered emails"

5. Under columns, select "email", "count of delivered emails," and "timestamp"

6. Change "timestamp" the "frequency" to whatever you want to group the count by (e.g., daily, weekly, monthly)

7. Go to the filters tab and change the events by timestamp to between whatever days your are reviewing. (Note: you can only have a max of 31 days)

Since you can only report on a max of 31 days, it's also time consuming to go into the filter, adjust the date range, and export. In the end, I set this report to provide the count of delivered emails, each week, to each contact. I can't figure out how to add engagement activity (opens, clicks) but this is a good start to reporting if you are emailing too much. 

Ver la solución en mensaje original publicado

6 Respuestas 6
MMDC
Solución
Colaborador

resolver

After experimenting with the custom reports builder, I was able to get some of the data. Here's how:

1. Go to create custom report.
  2. Custom Report Builder.

3. Select Contacts and Marketing Email.

4. Under "marketing email events," select "delivered emails"

5. Under columns, select "email", "count of delivered emails," and "timestamp"

6. Change "timestamp" the "frequency" to whatever you want to group the count by (e.g., daily, weekly, monthly)

7. Go to the filters tab and change the events by timestamp to between whatever days your are reviewing. (Note: you can only have a max of 31 days)

Since you can only report on a max of 31 days, it's also time consuming to go into the filter, adjust the date range, and export. In the end, I set this report to provide the count of delivered emails, each week, to each contact. I can't figure out how to add engagement activity (opens, clicks) but this is a good start to reporting if you are emailing too much. 

karstenkoehler
Miembro del salón de la fama | Partner

resolver

I agree, @MMDC. The overall average won't impress anyone. At some level, these numbers will become abstract. Unfortunately HubSpot doesn't provide more detail than this.

Nevertheless, this export should facilitate digging for examples. Hope this helped!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

karstenkoehler

resolver

Hi @MMDC,

The information that you're looking for is stored in these properties:

First marketing email send date

Last marketing email send date

Marketing emails delivered

Marketing emails opened

Marketing emails clicked

Unfortunately, it's not possible to create the exact visualization that you shared in your post in HubSpot.

You could create a single-object contact report to display Marketing emails delivered by, for example, Lifecycle stage. This would allow you to see the average number of emails a contact has received. Unfortunately there isn't any option to see this on a weekly or even daily basis, because HubSpot only stores the information in this particular way: some First and Last dates and total numbers.

For a workaround, I'd recommend exporting the contacts from your database for analysis in Excel. If you export the properties above, you can calculate the difference between First marketing email send date and Last marketing email send date. This should give you a number of days. You can now divide the number of Marketing emails delivered by the number of days (or maybe weeks, since weekends would be skewing the daily average).

(You could of course also do this within two calculated properties.)

Let me know if you need more details on any of these steps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

MMDC
Colaborador

resolver

Thanks, Karsten. Downloading the entire contact list was a step I took, and it did provide averages. But, it obfuscates the daily frequency. In one example, one contact was sent one email in January, and this poor soul was sent 4 emails on the same day in June. The daily average covered up one really bad day. And yes, this person unsubscribed from all of our emails.

But, this report does help illustrate engagement (or lack of engagement). Come on managment, it's time to let these contacts go; they're just not into us.

Daniel_Bleich
Asesor destacado

resolver

First question is, are these marketing emails or product related emails?

Can some emails be consolidated?

The best way to work in my opinion is to show data results, for one week I would split my contact segment into 2 groups where group 1 will get all the emails as your company decides, group 2 gets the same emails but limited to 1 or less email per day.

Then you can show them the results in terms of open rate, click rate etc.,

Daniel Bleichman
Marketing | AudioCodes

Danielbleichman@gmail.com
Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
MMDC
Colaborador

resolver

Thanks, Daniel. Unfortunately, things aren't streamlined. We send a mixture of newsletters, news alerts, product/marketing emails with each item going to a variety of audiences (which makes things even more difficult.)

Conducting an A/B test is my hope to prove my gut-feeling, but I need some data to show that we currently have a problem.

0 Me gusta