Reporting & Analytics

KGlode
Contributor

Need to eliminate internal virtual working employees from traffic and analytics

Hey everyone - I'm fairly new to HubSpot.  I work for a 100% virtual company and we don't have a VPN.  I'm trying to eliminate our users from the traffic and analytics.  IP addresses are from each employee's personal provider and are not static.  Each expiration ranges from 1 week to 3 months so not a great option.  I tried adding our domain to the referrer section but got the following error:  An error occurred while saving Reports & Analytics Tracking settings: Blocked referrer cannot contain site domains.

Does anyone have any advice on how to eliminate my employees from analytics?  There has to be a way with all the increase in virtual employees!    Thanks!  -Kate

1 Reply 1
MiaSrebrnjak
Community Manager
Community Manager

Need to eliminate internal virtual working employees from traffic and analytics

Hi @KGlode,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community!

I'm afraid we don't have a native solution for dynamic IPs whereby we would continually check and update IPs on the exclusion list. You can check this Community post where @karstenkoehler and @Ben_M share more information and possible workarounds.   

As for other workarounds:

• I've found cases where customers have though about writing a script that pulls the user's public IP from their checkin/login logs on their computer, which they would then manually add to the HubSpot's Exclude Traffic settings. 
  • @Phil_Vallender suggested in his solution to this Community post to exclude the entire subnet range of the IP addresses users are on so you don't have to manually add them to the list each time.

I realize that these workarounds are not ideal that's why I wanted to address the error you get when you try adding domains to the referrer section. We usually see this error when customers have included the domain for tracking in their Tracking settings - is that domain maybe listed under Additional Site Domains? That would explain why you can't add it to the exclusion list. 

Screenshot 2022-07-28 at 12.57.24.png

If your goal is to exclude analytics from a specific domain, the best option would be to enable Only allow tracking on the domains listed here, which will limit tracking to only the domains and subdomains listed on that page. You'd then also need to make sure that the domain you want to exclude is not listed under Additional Site Domains.

Screenshot 2022-07-28 at 13.00.46.png

I hope this helps!

Cheers
Mia, Community Team

Wusstest du, dass es auch eine DACH-Community gibt?
Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, indem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by
changing your language settings