Multi-Touch mid-funnel analysis

Bishop
Participant

My Scenario:

I'm trying to do mofu analysis of the entire marketing stack (paid search, paid social, remarketing, etc.). I'm trying to identify which marketing touches contribute to contacts/accounts moving through different lifecycle stages (ie. Contat > MQL > SQL).

I acquire a large % of contacts through Paid Search. This drives a funnel of contacts who:

1. Populate with Original Source = Paid Search
    • This segment is easy to analyze as most reports in Hubspot allow you to filter on Original Source.
  2. Are added to multiple retargeting lists
  3. Are subsequently retargeted through other sources (ex. Adroll, Linkedin, Youtube, etc)
    • This segment is near impossible to analyze (more detail below)

A contact created in January through Paid Search, may subsequently click 3 different retargeting ads over the course of February and then become a customer in March. Let's say all of the retargeting ads have utm-source=adroll for the rest of this story.

Problem:

Here's where the issue comes into play for reporting on retargeting efforts. Since all of these contacts are "Original Source = Paid Search" it doesn't seem there's any way to report against interaction with additional UTM parameters later in their lifecycle. 

For example

• if I wanted to look at how many MQL's were created from contacts that clicked links containing "utm-source=adroll" there isn't a way to do it since adroll will never be an 'original source' (due to it being a retargeting source).
  • as a workaround I can't even seem to create "lists" of people who viewed pages with "url contains utm-source=adroll" as a workaround
    • (appears that parameters are excluded from 'contains' qualifiers)

Request:
What I'd love to have is a funnel report that shows lifecycle stage by utm-source. The closest thing I can find out of the box in Hubspot is the Ads report, which includes attribution, but is limited to three networks (Google, Linkedin, Facebook) -- which prevents me from analyzing ROI from any other ad networks.

Outside of this:

• I've tried to get close to the data with custom funnel reports, but the filter is limited to "original source." So it's a no-go.
  • The newer revenue attribution reports look promising, but you can't break down the report to the exact source -- preventing me from analyzing ROI of individual ad-networks. And a deal must be complete. -- which prevents me from doing mofu analysis.
  • The UTM sources report at least shows all of my sources, but doesn't have any lifecycle stages or multi-touch attribution filters.
  • The campaign report is interesting in that it seems contacts can be associated with multiple campaigns (a form of multi-touch) but this report can't be broken down by source or lifecycle stage.

Is anyone out there analyzing how sources other than the original are contributing to lifecycle stages? If so, how?

Ads
3 Replies 3
sharonlicari
Community Manager

Hey @Bishop 

This is a really interesting post, I am wondering what our experts can share about this.

Hey @Krystina @Phil_Vallender @Kim_HM could you please share your thoughts about this?

Thank you

Sharon

¿Sabías que la Comunidad está disponible en Español?
¡Participa hoy en conversaciones en el idioma de tu preferencia,cambiando el idioma en tus configuraciones!

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
roland_deshane
Participant

HubSpot experts where are you! Bishop's post hit the nail on the head for my organization and I'd assume any org out there using ads for acqusition and retargeting. 

@Bishop - I'm thinking about creating a set of custom fields for "Most Recent Source", "Most Recent Source Drill-Down 1", and setup hidden fields on my forms to capture the UTM data and post it to those new fields. There is already a native "Recent Date" contact property that updates with each form submission so the above would hopefully allow us to at least create a report that analyzes LCS by by most recent conversion date and UTMs. It's not perfect but I'll let you know how it goes.  

0 Upvotes
dvaughn
Participant

This seems to be a serious gap in the overall data model. I have not tried this yet, but I am looking into using a custom object that would be akin to a Salesforce Campaign Member. Each record would have the following properties/references:

- campaign

- contact

- date/time created/updated

- mebership status (e.g. registered vs attended)

- form submitted

- page of form submission

- all UTM data (specifically from this engagement)

So any given contact could have multiple campaign member records. One thing I am not sure about is if/how this could be tied to relevant deal records - would it happen automatically via the contact records?

Another issue is that custom objects require access to the API (see this post).

Will this work? What am I forgetting?

0 Upvotes