Major Discrepancy Between Hubspot Analytics and Google's

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Hey all. 

We have Google Analytics running on our website. For most of our website pages - the page view's line up nearly 1:1. 

However, on our Homepage, Google analytics is reporting a page view number that is almost 5 times larger than the HubSpot number. (About 10,000 vs 2,000 views)

I was curious if this is normal. Is there some sort of error with our analytics? Curious what may be causing this or which number to trust as accurate.

0 Upvotes
11 Replies 11
Community Superstar

Could be lots of reasons ...

- see HubSpot analytics and Google Analytics don't match

Hope that helps.

Best,
Frank

MFrankJohnson-dot-com-HubSpot-Community-banner-gif-v20190817

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I had actually stumbled across that page. The odd thing though, is that this only happens on one of the pages (the home page)... the other pages *roughly* line up. 

I wasnt sure if a difference as massive as ours is considered "normal". If nothing else, should we put more reliance here on the HubSpot figures, of Google figures?

Could it be possible that the homepage is just getting a lot more repeat traffic than the other pages, traffic that HubSpot is filtering out while Google is not?

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

Bump on this. Can't seem to find a reasonable explaination. 

0 Upvotes
Community Manager

Hi @shullski,

There are a variety of resources and blog posts around this topic. A few I have found useful in the past are:

If you have specific questions around your portal's set up and metrics, I would recommend connecting with HubSpot technical support to discuss this matter specifically in your portal.

Thank you,
Jenny

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
Occasional Contributor

I would first take a look at:

• IP filters for GA view & HubSpot - do you exclude same traffic?
  • Do you exclude known bots & filters from GA?

Next, I would create a custom segment for traffic landing in home page (with only 1 pageview). Then I would analyse the traffic:

• cities
  • browsers
  • ISPs etc

To see if there is something weird.

New Contributor

@MikkoPiippo Hi there - I recently noticed a huge discrepancy between HS & GA, specifically around traffic originating from email. Upon further research I identified that most of that GA traffic was coming from an Amazon bot. This was the first time hearing about this (GA is not my department) and am wondering if you can provide any further information on all the known bots we should definitely be excluding from GA? 

Thanks in advance! 

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

Hello, 

Not sure if you've found a solution yet, but someone brought up a concern they noticed in Google Analytics (GA from here on) recently, and I felt it could be happening to you as well. Some people (myself included) noticed that HubSpot bots were causing some outrageous spikes in direct website traffic to their website home page. Since HubSpot filters out traffic from their own bots (at least as far as I can tell) those numbers won't appear in HubSpot's analytics. This could be why your home page is getting some crazy spikes in traffic in GA when compared to HubSpot. 

We tried resolving this by turning off tracking for all bot traffic on our website, via GA. This means that, while bots will still go to your website, GA won't keep track of that traffic and won't factor it into your total traffic (Note: this does not change anything retroactively—only moving forward). 

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

Hi there - thanks for your reply. I didn't know about the Hubspot bot traffic - very good to know. 

Did you do anything specific to filter them out? In our GA we have the "Exclude all hits from known bots" checked in our Settings (see attached for reference). However, I'm still seeing bot traffic.

Is there another custom filter I should be aware of that will combat the Hubspot bots?

Thanks again!

Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 4.11.11 PM.png

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

Hmm, that's actually the same thing that we did—checking the "exclude known bots/spiders" box. What we noticed afterward was that we weren't seeing the usual bot traffic from Ashburn, Virginia, which seems to be the source of the HubSpot bots (Hub-bots?) according to some other users too.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any alternative filter options. If you go to your GA, then Audience, Geo, United States, are you seeing a much higher amount of traffic from Virginia in particular? If so, that's most likely HubSpot bots. I'm not sure why other bots wouldn't be filtered out though. 

Here is one of the forum questions someone posted a few weeks ago, which had another response as well: 
https://community.hubspot.com/t5/Content-Strategy-SEO/HubSpot-bots-wrecking-Google-Analytics-affect-...

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

Weird! Ours is actually from Boardman, Oregon! The only thing I could find on it was this post from a while ago: http://techwhet.jduy.com/2014/09/google-analytics-to-to-filter-out.html

However the weird thing is that the spike is mostly from email traffic, which are all getting sent from Hubspot... which makes me think it's a Hubspot bot. 

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

Oh wow, so it looks like Amazon bots are also getting in the way too! I found this forum post from back in 2017 that sort of goes into more detail about Amazon/HubSpot bots: 

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/Tips-Tricks-Best-Practices/Geo-targeting-case-study-Ashburn-Va/td-p...

Here's a quick snippet from that forum: 

"Ashburn can pop up at other places in the HubSpot universe. We’ve seen many cases of HubSpot traffic spikes from Ashburn VA (or Northern Virginia, or Washington DC metro area) in Google analytics. These are simply the different crawler and tracker bots that HubSpot pings off a site to record metrics and analytics. (Click here to find out why HubSpot is crawling your website.)  Not much you can do to prevent this. If the traffic skews your data, its best to create a new view in Google Analytics and exclude the bot traffic."

The forum does mention Amazon too, though it mostly focuses on Ashburn, VA. Very interesting to see so many others have experienced this same issue! 

As for your spike in email traffic, I'm not sure what to make of that unless your company is regularly sending out emails / has an active email marketing campaign going?