Reporting & Analytics

bkapitzky

If an email is forwarded and the new user opens the email, does that register as "opened" again?

SOLVE

I've been noticing that some of my emails are being opened many times. 

For example I'll send out Email A to three different people at three different companies and I see that it's been opened 5, 7, 10 times?

I'm wondering why somebody would open an email 10 times? Is it possible that Email A is being forwarded to three different people and each person is opening the email 2-3 times, resulting in an open rate of 10?

Thanks,
Bryce

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

If an email is forwarded and the new user opens the email, does that register as "opened" again?

SOLVE

Hi @bkapitzky

If the email was forwarded to another contact and opened, then it would show as an additional open by the original contact as the email service platform, in this case HubSpot, has now knowledge of the new recipient, only that the tracking pixel is present. 

Forwarding of marketing emails is very rare, however, and I think that your extra opens are due to one of the other potential causes. 

I'm not sure if HubSpot has written about it but MailChimp wrote how spam filters can click links, creating false opens. In addition, if preview pane is turned on and images are shown, user behaviour can result in them 'opening' the email more times than they really intended to. 

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
Phil_Vallender
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @bkapitzky

If the email was forwarded to another contact and opened, then it would show as an additional open by the original contact as the email service platform, in this case HubSpot, has now knowledge of the new recipient, only that the tracking pixel is present. 

Forwarding of marketing emails is very rare, however, and I think that your extra opens are due to one of the other potential causes. 

I'm not sure if HubSpot has written about it but MailChimp wrote how spam filters can click links, creating false opens. In addition, if preview pane is turned on and images are shown, user behaviour can result in them 'opening' the email more times than they really intended to. 

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency