Reporting & Analytics

petevanneste

HubSpot Tracking URL Builder - utm_source and utm_medium applied inconsistently

Hi All

Just looking to implement a simple way for a whole marketing team with non-technical people to tag up URLs easily. 

Struggling with the tracking URL builder as it seems to be getting source/medium the wrong way around in some instances. Wondering whether (a) I've not had enough coffee this morning (b) this is a known issue that is going to be resolved or (c) I need to find a different solution outside of HubSpot. 

The usually recognised convention for UTM parameters is:
utm_source = name of traffic origin (e.g. google, bing, linkedin)
utm_medium = category of source (e.g email, ppc, social)

Example 1 - Paid Social 

This behaves as expected with the Tracking URL Builder. 

By selecting "Paid Social" from the "Source" option select, utm_medium is automatically populated with "paidsocial" and utm_source can be populated from a dropdown of social media platforms. 

This outputs a correctly formatted set of parameters: 

https://userinput.com?utm_campaign=user_selected_campaign_name&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=paidso...

Example 2 - Paid Search (although this applies to others including email)

By selecting "Paid Search" from the "Source" option select, utm_source is automatically populated with "Paid Search" with utm_medium being a free text field. 

This outputs as: 

http://userinput.com?utm_campaign=user_selected_campaign&utm_source=ppc&utm_medium=user_input_medum&...

utm_medium should be ppc 
utm_source should be the name of the traffic origin (e.g. google / bing)

0 Upvotes
2 Replies 2
PPedersen
Participant

HubSpot incorrectly mismatches the source as the medium and the medium as the source. I tried using the Google Analytics filter in my screenshot so I could use HubSpot's incorrect labeling and have it show up correctly in Google Analytics, but it isn't working as I had hoped. If anyone has a workaround, please share.

Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 1.18.40 PM.png

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @petevanneste,

I wanted to share this resource with you regarding how HubSpot categorizes and buckets utm parameters.

If you are seeing something different than what is outlined there, I would recommend connecting with HubSpot technical support, as there may be something to investigate specific to your account.

Thank you,
Jenny

0 Upvotes