Reporting & Analytics

Padix
Participante

How to remove log in clicks from session in marketing performance dashboard

resolver

Hi there, 

We sell a SaaS B2B app in the cloud. We sell a product that all employees of a company use on a weekly basis. 

A lot of our visitors come to our website to log in to our platform (no real intent to buy). In my marketing dashboard, I can see that sessions increase as we sign up more and more customers. How can I remove these sessions from the dashboard? Is there something I can do in our website to avoid tracking sessions that only go to the home page and log in immediately? How do I mitigate the mitigate the impact of these visitors? 

Thank you for any advice. 

David. 

0 Avaliação positiva
2 Solução aceitas
Mike_Eastwood
Solução
Conselheiro(a) de destaque | Parceiro Ouro

resolver

Hi David

I think – with the Reporting Add-on – you can filter by Lifecycle Stage and remove Customers from your Reporting. You may need a Workflow to make everyone logging in a Customer.

Not sure because we don't use the Reporting Add-on (I think it's overpriced and should be included in HubSpot Marketing Pro).

Alternately, you can set up a segment – with exclusions – using Google Analytics. 

Cheers

Mike

Exibir solução no post original

MFrankJohnson
Solução
Autoridade no assunto

resolver

Been following this thread, and @Mike_Eastwood is spot on (which is why we've hesitated to post here until now).
- Filter desired IPs
- Filter HubSopt reporting by Lifecycle Stage (yes. it's possible)
- Filter segments in GA (we'll come back to this later)

Original questionA lot of our visitors come to our website to log in to our platform (no real intent to buy). In my marketing dashboard, I can see that sessions increase as we sign up more and more customers. How can I remove these sessions from the dashboard?

Short Answer: You can't from within HubSpot. (not exactly)

The "visitors with no intentions of buying" AND "employees of customers using the Login link on your site" will continue to muddle the stats in your use case.

A better solution would be to separate actual customer login from everyone else. These stats may/should already exist within your platform -- (only you know that).

No HubSpot elegant way around this. However, using a HubSpot Smart CTA for the Login link may help ... some. Just not sure if it's worth the effort for your use case since it will still only get you part the way to where you want to be.

When using a HubSpot Smart CTA, the referral source stats can be broken out. Breaking out the CTA referral source stats will at least help you identify direct traffic -- much of which may/should be those "employees of customers" that are the crux of the matter.

- see Perfect HubSpot Hacking CTA Referral Sources
- see Create smart calls-to-action (CTA)
- see Embed a form or CTA in a WordPress post or page

Google Analytics Behavior FlowGoogle Analytics Behavior Flow

Finally, as earlier promised, Google Analytics Behavior Flow reporting will allow you to drill down into sources for those visitors who land on your homepage and immediately click the Login link.

- see [VIDEO] Google Analytics Behavior Flow Report For Dummies

Unfortunately, due to the Login link living on your homepage and to the fact that you don't track who customers (and their employees) are unless/until they actually login, you may want to ...

- whip out all the kung fu in this entire thread

- use GA for tracking instead

- consider separating login for actual customers (and their employees)

Just know, HubSpot analytics and Google Analytics don't match!

Good luck with your project.

Hope that helps.

Best,
Frank

Chief HubSpot Consultant

hubspot-solutions-signature-mfrankjohnson-v05.png

MFrankJohnson.com | Perfect HubSpot Series | Connect on LinkedIn

Help find posts quickly ... accept this solution now.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

Exibir solução no post original

8 Respostas 8
Mike_Eastwood

resolver

Hi David

You can exclude your team from future statistics by adding your IP Address(es) to an Exclusion List.

To exclude your IP Address go to:

Settings (cog top right) > Reports (left menu) > Tracking Code (sub menu).

In the "IP Addresses to Exclude" text box, enter IP address(es). Your current IP Address appears above the text box. You may have several IP Addresses if your company has multiple locations or people work from home. 

This technique is less effective if your team is remote and moving around a lot.

As far as I know you can't remove previous tracking information.

Have fun

Mike

Padix
Participante

resolver

Hi Mike, 

Thanks for taking the time to answer. 

We do have filtered IP addresses from our own employees. The problem is that our customers are coming to the website and clicking on "Log in". I wouldn't want these sessions to be tracked by Hubspot. 

Thank you.

0 Avaliação positiva
Mike_Eastwood
Solução

resolver

Hi David

I think – with the Reporting Add-on – you can filter by Lifecycle Stage and remove Customers from your Reporting. You may need a Workflow to make everyone logging in a Customer.

Not sure because we don't use the Reporting Add-on (I think it's overpriced and should be included in HubSpot Marketing Pro).

Alternately, you can set up a segment – with exclusions – using Google Analytics. 

Cheers

Mike

Padix
Participante

resolver

Hi Mike, 

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Unfortunately, that wouldn't work. We do have the reporting add-on (and while I don't know if you can filter by Lifecycle Stage) not all customers are contacts in Hubspot.  We sell to HR Managers (our customers) but our solution is deployed across the entire company. Then, employees go to our website to log in to our platform and this is exactly what we want to avoid hubspot tracking. 

Best,

David

0 Avaliação positiva
MFrankJohnson
Solução
Autoridade no assunto

resolver

Been following this thread, and @Mike_Eastwood is spot on (which is why we've hesitated to post here until now).
- Filter desired IPs
- Filter HubSopt reporting by Lifecycle Stage (yes. it's possible)
- Filter segments in GA (we'll come back to this later)

Original questionA lot of our visitors come to our website to log in to our platform (no real intent to buy). In my marketing dashboard, I can see that sessions increase as we sign up more and more customers. How can I remove these sessions from the dashboard?

Short Answer: You can't from within HubSpot. (not exactly)

The "visitors with no intentions of buying" AND "employees of customers using the Login link on your site" will continue to muddle the stats in your use case.

A better solution would be to separate actual customer login from everyone else. These stats may/should already exist within your platform -- (only you know that).

No HubSpot elegant way around this. However, using a HubSpot Smart CTA for the Login link may help ... some. Just not sure if it's worth the effort for your use case since it will still only get you part the way to where you want to be.

When using a HubSpot Smart CTA, the referral source stats can be broken out. Breaking out the CTA referral source stats will at least help you identify direct traffic -- much of which may/should be those "employees of customers" that are the crux of the matter.

- see Perfect HubSpot Hacking CTA Referral Sources
- see Create smart calls-to-action (CTA)
- see Embed a form or CTA in a WordPress post or page

Google Analytics Behavior FlowGoogle Analytics Behavior Flow

Finally, as earlier promised, Google Analytics Behavior Flow reporting will allow you to drill down into sources for those visitors who land on your homepage and immediately click the Login link.

- see [VIDEO] Google Analytics Behavior Flow Report For Dummies

Unfortunately, due to the Login link living on your homepage and to the fact that you don't track who customers (and their employees) are unless/until they actually login, you may want to ...

- whip out all the kung fu in this entire thread

- use GA for tracking instead

- consider separating login for actual customers (and their employees)

Just know, HubSpot analytics and Google Analytics don't match!

Good luck with your project.

Hope that helps.

Best,
Frank

Chief HubSpot Consultant

hubspot-solutions-signature-mfrankjohnson-v05.png

MFrankJohnson.com | Perfect HubSpot Series | Connect on LinkedIn

Help find posts quickly ... accept this solution now.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
Padix
Participante

resolver

Wow! Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer such a thoughtful and elaborated response. 

I think I'm going to go with GA for now to be able to filter out those immediately clicking on the login button and use analytics from GA and Hubspot to compare trends as the article you link suggests. 

Many thanks again for the response, much clearer now! 

MFrankJohnson
Autoridade no assunto

resolver

You're quite welcome @Padix 

In all fairness, Mikes original responses are also part of the solution. Recommend they be marked 'solved' as well.
Just a thought.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
Padix
Participante

resolver

Thank you @MFrankJohnson I'm new to the community and don't know very well the idiosyncrasy of this place. I marked Mikes response as part of the solution too.