Reporting & Analytics

Jonnydk
Top Contributor

How can I manage multiple business units using HubSpot?

SOLVE

We are a small team of marketers who work for a company using HubSpot. We would like to manage multiple business units and be able to report on this. Currently, I have set up custom lifecycle stages per business unit and I am also using the HubSpot standard lifecycle stage for one of my business units. Is there a better way or a suggestion which can allow us to manage up to 3 or 4 different BU's using HubSpot and then being able to report on them and work out at what lifecycle stage each contact/company is at? I know its a long-winded question but there must be some workarounds to handle this Smiley Very Happy

Thank you!!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
AM8
Solution
Top Contributor

SOLVE

@Jonnydk : Yes, you can leave HUBSPOT LIFECYCLE STAGE as a general one and each business unit can have a custom LC stage field. 
But make sure you build your logic for how to populate that Hubspot Lifecycle Stage. 

My apologies for the different pipeline idea, I assumed that you are using HubSpot CRM. 

Manage unsubscribes per business units - HubSpot only allows one unsubscribe page, but you can define communication types and have those options on that one unsubscribe page. (Although I agree its not the most intuitive unsubscribe page) 
Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 11.02.26 AM.png

Here is where your options will show up. ( The key is to name the categories correctly) Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 11.16.46 AM.png

Hope this helps

Thank you.

-AM 

#Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution.

Hope this helps
Thank you.
-AM8 
#Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
johnelmer
Top Contributor | Elite Partner

SOLVE
Hi Jonnydyk, So that we can understand what you are trying to accomplish, would you please list the custom lifecycle stages you have created?
Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

John Elmer, CEO
Bayard Bradford

Advanced CRM Implementation | HubSpot Custom Integration Services | Datawarehouse.io Apps for HubSpot
Elite HubSpot Solutions Partner
> Follow me on LinkedIn
Jonnydk
Top Contributor

SOLVE

I have created a Lifecycle Stage per business unit:

Lets say

1.RapNet

2. Information Service

3. Auctions

4. Rapaport Academy

0 Upvotes
johnelmer

SOLVE

Lifecycle stages have a very specific application in HubSpot. Lifecycle stage is property used to indicate at what point the company is within the marketing/sales process. Here’s  where you can read more: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/contacts/use-lifecycle-stages

Another Company property that might be useful  is Type:  

• Type: the company's relationship to you (e.g., prospect, partner, reseller, vendor, or other).

But in reading your list, it seems like you might need to create a custom property called something like Business Category. You could have a different set Business Category choices for each business unit. There are probably other ways to handle this, but hopefully this gets you going in the right direction.

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

John Elmer, CEO
Bayard Bradford

Advanced CRM Implementation | HubSpot Custom Integration Services | Datawarehouse.io Apps for HubSpot
Elite HubSpot Solutions Partner
> Follow me on LinkedIn
Jonnydk
Top Contributor

SOLVE

That's in essence what we are doing. I know that HubSpot LC field is super important but unfortunately I can't use that field for multiple lifecycles for a contact who is interested in a different service from a different business unit. clear?

0 Upvotes
AM8
Top Contributor

SOLVE

@Jonnydk : For the different services from different BUs let me see if I understand it clearly. 

You have 4 differnt services: 

1.RapNet

2. Information Service

3. Auctions

4. Rapaport Academy

So you are saying that one contact can be a 'lead' for say RapNet but already be at the 'opportunity stage' for Auctions? Right? 

Are you using custom Lifecycle stages to address this issue? 

Have you tried creating different deal pipelines ? https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/deals/set-up-and-customize-your-deal-pipelines-an...

If you still need separate Lifecycle stages at the contact level then I would suggest that you continue using your custom lifecycle stages for each business unit but name the stages the same as core HubSpot lifecycle stages. For Example: 
New Property ( Single Select Dropdown ) : RapNet Life Cycle Stage 
a. Subscriber

b. Lead

c. MQL

d. SQL

e. Opportunity

f. Customer

g. Evangelist 

This way you can decide what is the central or overall lifecycle stage you want to assign to your contacts and build that workflow. For example, If contact Jane is Lead for RapNet but she is MQL for Auctions then you can deside whether you want to call her a " Lead" or "MQL". 

That said - I would still suggest trying to use the different pipelines to address the differnt products/services. It will give you a great report on various services. At the contact level once someone has become a customer for any service, they are a customer! If they engage in any other service that would just be an upsell to the existing opportunity. 

Hope this helps

Thank you.

-AM 

Hope this helps
Thank you.
-AM8 
Jonnydk
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks that seems to be the direction we are going in. If I understand correctly, we should leave HUBSPOT LIFECYCLE STAGE as a general one and each business unit should have a custom LC stage field, correct?

Ill try the different pipeline idea, we are currently using salesforce, so I am not sure if I can use other pipelines...

How would you manage unsubscribes per business units? HubSpot only allows one unsubscribe page.

0 Upvotes
AM8
Solution
Top Contributor

SOLVE

@Jonnydk : Yes, you can leave HUBSPOT LIFECYCLE STAGE as a general one and each business unit can have a custom LC stage field. 
But make sure you build your logic for how to populate that Hubspot Lifecycle Stage. 

My apologies for the different pipeline idea, I assumed that you are using HubSpot CRM. 

Manage unsubscribes per business units - HubSpot only allows one unsubscribe page, but you can define communication types and have those options on that one unsubscribe page. (Although I agree its not the most intuitive unsubscribe page) 
Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 11.02.26 AM.png

Here is where your options will show up. ( The key is to name the categories correctly) Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 11.16.46 AM.png

Hope this helps

Thank you.

-AM 

Hope this helps
Thank you.
-AM8