Jul 6, 2018 12:34 PM
GA is not pulling data and I am at a loss as to what to do. Apparently, everything is set up properly on the HubSpot side. I got the following message from support.
"Thanks for your patience! I have been looking extensively into this and I can verify that I am seeing the Google Analytics Tracking ID is being properly rendered by HubSpot on your pages. The Tag Assistant (By Google) is a Chrome Extension I used to verify that the GA code is properly firing and the GA code is the same one you put into HubSpot. You can see in the attached GIF that the GA code is firing properly and there are no error messages."
It's been days and I am still seeing zeros when I log in to GA. I've Googled common issues to troubleshoot and nothing seems to be helping. Help!
Jul 6, 2018 5:56 PM
It would be helpful to know ...
- if your site is hosted on HubSpot, WordPress, whatever
- if this is a new installation of your CMS, GA, etc
- if not, when did the problem begin
Please add @MFrankJohnson to your message if you'd like me to reply.
Jul 6, 2018 6:06 PM
- The site is hosted on HubSpot
- The site is new to HubSpot. Used to be on WordPress.
- It's the same GA account that was used for the previous WordPress site.
- I have yet to get GA working for the site since it's been moved to HubSpot about 1 1/2 months ago.
I hope that answers your questions and thanks for your help.
Sep 19, 2018 8:43 AM
Incidentally, forgot to ask if GA was totally removed from the old WordPress site before it was sunsetted? We've seen unexplained GA behavior before when a GA UA code was added to a 'new' site before being totally removed from the 'old' site that uses the same domain.
Good luck with your issue.
Jul 22, 2019 12:18 PM
Did anyone find a definitive solution to this because we're having the same problem?
We're implementing HubSpot and moving our blog from WordPress to HubSpot but keeping the rest of our website on WordPress. The day that we installed the HubSpot-WordPress plug-in on our site, Google Analytics stopped tracking ALL traffic on our main domain (www.hirevelocity.com), and in addition, ALL form conversions are showing with a lead source of direct instead of the actual lead source.
We're going crazy over here because we can't find any solutions to fix it, and we feel like we've tried everything.
Jul 22, 2019 7:21 PM
Hi @sarawest - I'm not sure if your issue is identical to the other ones, but it's worth looking into.
First thing I will say is that even though I manage a WP site for my organization, I don't use the Hubspot plugin. Too many WP plugins can be a bad thing, and personally I've never found the plugin useful. I would just try including the tracking script in your tag manager and firing that way.
But in reviewing your code, I notice you have a lot going on and I would try to disable some things to troubleshoot from the ground up. For instance, I see you are running Pardot tracking alongside Hubspot tracking. It's possible that these scripts are trying to do the same thing, and neither actually tested the possibility of 2 marketing automation platforms running simultaneously. Also, I noticed that you still have the Google Analytics code on your page in addition to the tag manager firing the same analytics code. That could potentially be causing issues as well.
The last piece I noticed is that your blog is still on the wordpress platform. If you are having trouble with that prior to going live, we would need to know how to access it prior to going live to help troubleshoot that.