Reporting & Analytics

intricatelydan
Participant

Google Analytics Goals into HubSpot

We have created several Google Analytics goals from Google Tag Manager Tags/Triggers.

How can we pass these events into HubSpot? We are on the Marketing Hub Professional. Upgrading to Marketing Enterprise is out of the question for us for the time being. Is there a different way to pass Goals into HubSpot so that we can associate certain events with specific contacts?

3 Replies 3
mike-ward
Key Advisor

Hi @intricatelydan ,

I think there isn't a way to do this without Enterprise, unless...

You could add a custom script that mirrors your Google Analytics events fires, i.e. for every gtag('event'...) call you push the same event to a custom server and then use the HubSpot API to take the necessary action in HS (e.g. updating a contact record).

You could also do such a thing using Zapier (depending on the volume we're talking about!) where you could post to a Zapier webhook which then updates a contact field, or triggers a workflow or something.

You'd certainly need a decent developer to take a look at something like that. And I'm not sure how scalable or easy to maintain it would be.

What are you using these goals for? Can they not be recreated internally in HS e.g. using active lists and workflows? It'd be much easier to track the goal actions within HS where possible!

Cheers,

Mike

---

Did I answer your question? If your question is answered, please mark it as a solution. If you need more help, hit that big orange 'Reply' button!

intricatelydan
Participant

Thank you for your thorough reply, Mike!

Ultimately what we want to achieve is:

• Capturing of behaviors within our web app into HubSpot, such as clicking on "learn about our paid plans" or "upgrade here".
  • Using the behaviors in lead scoring and Smart Lists.

Does that make sense?

I'm familiar with Zapier, and I could work with a developer to write webhooks, if that is a solution that would meet our needs.

0 Upvotes
mike-ward
Key Advisor

Hi @intricatelydan ,

What's the tech setup of the web app? Is it a SPA? Could you use HS page view events here to manage? You can manually pass page tracking for any URL (I believe), whether it exists or not. But it would need a change to your app code...

Check out the documentation on setting the page path in HS tracker.

You could push page views that aren't even technically page views for things like '/subscribe_button_clicked' and then use standard HS workflows, lists etc... based on views to that page.

Does that make sense? I think it would require app changes, though, unless you could include such code in a Google Tag manager snippet and you knew how to capture such app activity (i.e. add a snippet to capture all clicks on buttons labelled "Subscribe" and push those as 'page views' to the HS tracker). Could be worth testing, just consider that these simulated page 'Views' could skew your reporting metric in other ways.

Cheers,

Mike

---

Did I answer your question? If your question is answered, please mark it as a solution. If you need more help, hit that big orange 'Reply' button!

0 Upvotes