Reporting & Analytics

Tony_Zingle

Getting tracking links to work on 3rd party landing pages

SOLVE

Hey HubSpot Community!

I'm trying to build a tracking link that asociates a new contact - that fills out a HubSpot embedded form on a 3rd party Unbounce landing page - with a HubSpot campaign.

1. Here is the tracking link that points to the landing page, built within HubSpot: http://bit.ly/2OlTOzD

2. Here is the second step of that funnel (where the HubSpot form is located - directed to after the email is submitted on the first page): https://biz.zingle.me/freetrial/step2p/

The form works properly in some ways, like collecting URL parameter infromation via hidden fields and knowing what form a contact submitted, and on what page. 

This tracking URL is NOT, however, associating the new contact with the HubSpot campaign to which I want the contact to be associated. 

I need some help connecting the dots. As far as I can tell, both pages have the HubSpot tracking code on and working properly. And again, it seems as though the form is working as it should. 

But for whatever reason, utm_campaign and utm_source are not associating the contact with the intended campaign. 

Any light that you can help shed on the situation is much appreciated! 

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
Aakar
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

@Tony_Zingle You've to add it to the HubSpot contact properties. Go to the contact properties, add a new property; use the appropriate names. For example: utm_source for the Source you want to track.

Besides that, use the HubSpot campaigns feature. Here's the HS campaigns guide.  Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 1.16.31 PM.png

Aakar Anil
Marketing Technologist
aakar.me | @aakarpost | in/aakarpost

View solution in original post

Aakar
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @PriscilaBracho 

Yes, I think you got it. I've been using these as hidden fields on the HubSpot forms. 

• utm_source
  • utm_medium
  • utm_campaign

Now the other part: whenever you set up a tracking URL, make sure you use the exact same utm_ parameters. For example, this is a tracking URL for a HubSpot community landing page (and has a form): https://community.hubspot.com/?utm_source=linkedin&utm_medium=social

Make sure, you use these utm_ parameters on the form as hidden fields on that page. HubSpot form will automatically retrieve utm_ values from the URL. If you've access to HubSpot workflows, you can use the utm_ values as a lead source detail by creating a simple workflow. Besides that, HubSpot's original source drill-down report will help you understand your traffic source. 

I'd recommend reading the HubSpot guide to understand how they categorize the source. Let me know if it helps.

Thank you!

Aakar Anil
Marketing Technologist

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
Aakar
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @Tony_Zingle 

I noticed a mismatch between your URL utm_ parameter & the form's hidden fields.

Your URL contains source & campaign parameter in this format:

utm_campaign

utm_source

However, your hidden fields on the form are in another format. I see this in your form:
source (not utm_source)Screen Shot 2018-11-06 at 3.27.06 PM.png

If you use the utm_ parameter (eg. utm_source same as in URL) as a hidden field, it'd look like this.

Screen Shot 2018-11-06 at 3.38.22 PM.png

If you want to populate the hidden fields, you have to use the same parameters in both URL & form fields. Could you please use this URL (without utm_)? https://biz.zingle.me/freetrial/?campaign=ACTIVE%20-%20General%20Accounts&source=ppc and see whether it records the source. 

IMO, it'd work; it'd capture the source, however, it might now show up on the Google Analytics. In that case, I'd suggest changing/updating the HubSpot contact properties. eg. change source to utm_source; medium to utm_medium, campaign to utm_campaign etc.

Mark as the solution if it helps. 

Thanks.

Aakar

https://aakar.me 

Aakar Anil
Marketing Technologist
Tony_Zingle

SOLVE

Aakar. 

Thanks for taking the time to reply. You're right, we don't have utm_campaign or utm_source as hidden fields, currently. We can add them at any time, but my question is more about how HubSpot is going to use utm_campaign to associate a new contact with a HubSpot campaign. 

Do I need to add these as contact properties? What are the actual steps that go into making this association happen? 

0 Upvotes
Aakar
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

@Tony_Zingle You've to add it to the HubSpot contact properties. Go to the contact properties, add a new property; use the appropriate names. For example: utm_source for the Source you want to track.

Besides that, use the HubSpot campaigns feature. Here's the HS campaigns guide.  Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 1.16.31 PM.png

Aakar Anil
Marketing Technologist
PriscilaBracho
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @Aakar ,

I am reading this post and it has been really useful for us =).

We are currently migrating our current forms to HubSpot forms and we are setting the tracking of our embedded forms ( meaning that the landing page is not fully hosted in HubSpot) and contacts that will be forwarded to Salesforce and therefore, we have a few questions.

• If we get your feedback straight,  we need to add the UTM parameters as hidden fields in the embedded forms, right?  Do we need to do it for all forms or just the ones, which are not hosted pages in Hubspot?
  • Do we need to name them the same, or can we define e.g. utm_medium should be filled in the field Lead source detail?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Priscila 

Aakar
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @PriscilaBracho 

Yes, I think you got it. I've been using these as hidden fields on the HubSpot forms. 

• utm_source
  • utm_medium
  • utm_campaign

Now the other part: whenever you set up a tracking URL, make sure you use the exact same utm_ parameters. For example, this is a tracking URL for a HubSpot community landing page (and has a form): https://community.hubspot.com/?utm_source=linkedin&utm_medium=social

Make sure, you use these utm_ parameters on the form as hidden fields on that page. HubSpot form will automatically retrieve utm_ values from the URL. If you've access to HubSpot workflows, you can use the utm_ values as a lead source detail by creating a simple workflow. Besides that, HubSpot's original source drill-down report will help you understand your traffic source. 

I'd recommend reading the HubSpot guide to understand how they categorize the source. Let me know if it helps.

Thank you!

Aakar Anil
Marketing Technologist
InaSingat

SOLVE

Hey Aakar,
Maybe you can help me with an issue I'm struggling with.
I'm trying to send the UTM params to HS using the Forms API.
I've tried adding those fields to the HS form as hidden (and visible for that matter), and send the values in the "fields" section, after extracting them from the url. 

axios.post(
    `https://api.hsforms.com/submissions/v3/integration/submit/**/**`,
      {
        submittedAt: Date.now(),
        fields: [
          { name: 'firstname', value: values.first_name },
          { name: 'lastname', value: values.last_name },
          { name: 'email', value: values.email },
          { name: 'company', value: values.company },
          { name: 'website', value: values.url },
          { name: 'country', value: country },
          { name: 'utm_campaign', value: utm_campaign },
          { name: 'utm_content', value: utm_content },
          { name: 'utm_medium', value: utm_medium },
          { name: 'utm_source', value: utm_source },
          { name: 'utm_term', value: utm_term },
        ],
      },
    )

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be working.
I'm getting a 400 error saying those fields are not in form definition - although I've added them to the form and their internal name is the same name I send here. 
How can this be resolved?

**All other fields work perfectly fine. 

0 Upvotes