Reporting & Analytics

JovanaJankovic
Participant

GTM not working properly

SOLVE

Hello dear colleagues, 

I am encountering problems with my Tag Manager. I am not the person who installed Tag in the first place, so I am not quite sure where is the mistake here.

First Problem

First of all, when I check my website with Legacy Tag extension, I see this https://prnt.sc/1u38hqh

I see that I have multiple tag managers installed, but I have access to just one. How can I delete the rest if I don't have access to it? 
And am I ok with having both Google Tag Manager and Global site tag installed? 

Second Problem

I started creating tags and my tags for connecting with Google Ads and Analytics, Linkedin, GA4, Conversion Linker, Remarketing are triggering just fine.

And furthermore, I wanted to start tracking conversion on my website, but those tags are the ones that are not triggering and I don't know how to fix this. 

I followed all instructions Google provided and before publishing the tag I checked with other tutorials. But my tags are still not getting triggered. https://prnt.sc/1u39c07

When I further inspect my tags I see this. https://prnt.sc/1u39fam

If I am reading this right, this should mean that my page URL s not correct, the event is triggering, but the URL is not correct. And this should not be possible, because this is the URL I want the tag to be triggered. 

So does anyone have an idea what might be wrong here? 

Third Problem

So all of these lead to the next problem. And that is conversion tracking. Again, I set everything with step-by-step instructions and because my tags are not triggering I am seeing this in Google Ads Overview https://prnt.sc/1u3a0qc

When I go to Conversions, I see that my tags are unverified https://prnt.sc/1u3a53z

And I think this is connected with tags not triggering, but correct me if I'm wrong. 

Fourth Problem

After setting all of these things, one error started showing in Google Analytics now. Because I haven't seen this error up until now, I am guessing that this is a chain reaction and if I fix Tag Manager, this error will disappear. https://prnt.sc/1u3af6e

But if you think something else is causing the problem, please do tell me what to do in this case.

Ohhh, this was one long post. Sorry for that. But I started using Tag Manager recently and as you can see, I am struggling with it. If you can give me instructions for at least one of my problems, I will be very grateful.

Have a nice day, fellow marketers!

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
Aakar
Solution
Key Advisor

GTM not working properly

SOLVE

Hi @JovanaJankovic 

I think most of your problems could be solved by setting up GTM in a proper way. First, try clearing your duplicate GTM tags from the website. Make sure, your Google Analytics and Google Ads are connected. For conversion tracking, I'd suggest not using equals parameter, instead, use URL contains, etc to fire your conversion tag. It'd work fine after that.

As a beginner, I'd also suggest taking this GTM course

Thanks, @sharonlicari for the tag.

Aakar Anil
Marketing Technologist
aakar.me | @aakarpost | in/aakarpost

View solution in original post

Ben_M
Solution
Key Advisor

GTM not working properly

SOLVE

I would agree with @Aakar on this.  You need to get into the code and remove the tag manager you don't have access to from the source code. Once you have that complete you can turn your attention to cleaning up the tag manager you do have access to, or consider a whole new container to start fresh.

From the second screenshot, I can tell that you do have 2 Google Analytics accounts running in your tag manager (UA aka v3 & GA4). This is a perfectly fine setup to have and very common as many businesses, even mine, have transitioned to GA4.  So having multiple Google tags isn't bad because there is no direct conversion of data to GA4 because of how it collects data so it requires the data to be rebuilt.

With regards to your tags not triggered this can be due to a multitude of reasons.  Are the conversions triggering on events, page visits?  Also have you considered tying the events to your GA goals (ua) or conversion events (ga4)? If you set up the analytics in this manner your tracking should be the same across platforms to help give you better insights.  

The fourth issue I have not honestly come across before so that might need some further research about solving that error.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Ben_M
Solution
Key Advisor

GTM not working properly

SOLVE

I would agree with @Aakar on this.  You need to get into the code and remove the tag manager you don't have access to from the source code. Once you have that complete you can turn your attention to cleaning up the tag manager you do have access to, or consider a whole new container to start fresh.

From the second screenshot, I can tell that you do have 2 Google Analytics accounts running in your tag manager (UA aka v3 & GA4). This is a perfectly fine setup to have and very common as many businesses, even mine, have transitioned to GA4.  So having multiple Google tags isn't bad because there is no direct conversion of data to GA4 because of how it collects data so it requires the data to be rebuilt.

With regards to your tags not triggered this can be due to a multitude of reasons.  Are the conversions triggering on events, page visits?  Also have you considered tying the events to your GA goals (ua) or conversion events (ga4)? If you set up the analytics in this manner your tracking should be the same across platforms to help give you better insights.  

The fourth issue I have not honestly come across before so that might need some further research about solving that error.

Aakar
Solution
Key Advisor

GTM not working properly

SOLVE

Hi @JovanaJankovic 

I think most of your problems could be solved by setting up GTM in a proper way. First, try clearing your duplicate GTM tags from the website. Make sure, your Google Analytics and Google Ads are connected. For conversion tracking, I'd suggest not using equals parameter, instead, use URL contains, etc to fire your conversion tag. It'd work fine after that.

As a beginner, I'd also suggest taking this GTM course

Thanks, @sharonlicari for the tag.

Aakar Anil
Marketing Technologist
aakar.me | @aakarpost | in/aakarpost
sharonlicari
Community Manager
Community Manager

GTM not working properly

SOLVE

Hey @JovanaJankovic 

Thank you for the detailed information I think this is really helpful for our experts to provide some guidance in your case. 

Hey @Aakar @hhawk @Ben_M what are your thoughts about this? Any recommendations you can share @JovanaJankovic?

Happy Friday

Sharon

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !